Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old April 25th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-2

Gallery : 0
thewoozle Citizen
Default Cybermissiles

I had this thought... if TODAY, we have cyberwarfare rearing it's ugly head, with attempts to hack or compromise enemy networks, with the intention of shutting down powerplants, detection grids, defenses.. you name it.. why not have an automated system that can deliver a massive attack in one mobile punch. A Cyber missile. The idea is, it's launched at a target ship, base, whatever, and instead of a warhead detonating, it releases a massively powerful wifi blast with a host of computer virus, malware, system exploits, DDOS, and other 'cyber attacks' in the hopes of infecting the target systems or at least swamping them so the network can't do what its supposed to do.
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Random blasts of data aren't going to get anywhere. Especially in combat.

Computer systems only accept input via specific channels. In combat mode, no ship is going to accept wireless input unless a government has forced the manufacturer to put in an intentional weakness.

The reason cyberwarfare works right now is that people are putting machines that need not be onto the networks. We lack sufficient paranoia to prevent general use machines from being compromised. On the other hand, dedicated appliances with tight code are virtually immune; a machine that can only check Pop3 servers and deliver to SMTP servers (not even allowing itself a self-update system) can be literally immune to virii.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old April 25th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
shaunhilburn Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoozle View Post
The idea is, it's launched at a target ship, base, whatever, and instead of a warhead detonating, it releases a massively powerful wifi blast with a host of computer virus, malware, system exploits, DDOS, and other 'cyber attacks'
You wouldn't need a missile. A wireless such as this attack can be done directly from the launching platform.
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Knight

Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+Reban Citizen+

Where missiles, or better still, drones do work in cyber warfare are as platforms for snooping and gaining SIGNIT intelligence on what information is being radiated, what hardware is being used and the type and volume of communications.

There are things you can send by missile that can attack the enemy's cyber warfare capability.

EMP warheads to knock out unshielded military or civilian equipment.

Carbon fiber strands or bundles. I'm hazy on this one but the idea of these is that you drop them on electricity transformers and powerlines to cause shorts.

Jammers. Powerful short range jammers to flood the part of the electronic spectrum that the enemy is using for cyber warfare and communications.

There are better (sneakier) ways to access and infect and enemy network than firing a missile containing a transmitter and code. Also remember that a big aspect of cyber warfare is not just bricking the enemies toys, but gaining intelligene, taking over his sensors either to see what he sees or to make him see what you want him to.
Knight of Deneb - Reft - 2738 Cyril

Damn you gravity, you win again...

tc tne+ T5++ ru ge++ 3i++ c- au+ pi+ he++ so++ 0201
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 2
Piper Citizen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite_bomb
Old April 26th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

And don't forget the main advantage of a computer virus is when it is unnoticed, as if noticed it can be fought against. Installing a virus through such a missile would be as bradcasting the computer is infected, and so minimizing (at least) its effect.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.