Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old August 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Garyius2003 Citizen

My time shooting automatic fire shoulder fired weapons is limited to M16A1 and A2, M60 (including E3 version), and some fun times with MP5s and Krinks.

Unless fired from the tripod, the M60 moves off the target area after 5-10 rounds. Because of the lower rate of fire, this limit is easily fired by a trained shooter. I have had some talks with younger vets, and they said the 240B is much the same, but with the rails a vertical fore grip can be attached to the side to get a few more rounds out before you move totally out of the target area.

The A1 and A2 will also kick up and to the right after a few rounds, so the military went with a three round per pull auto setting for the A2. The A1 can be kept in the general target area on a mag dump by an experienced shooter, but without a great deal of accuracy.

The Krinkov is just a hose on full auto, squirming around and kicking.

The MP5 is very controllable on full auto and 5-round burst, in particular the navy version with the suppressor. I do not have the level of skill, but a good shooter can hold on a head and torso sized target at 25 meters for a mag dump. I come close without the skill level because the gun is so controllable.

So, I assume in the 3I universe the rifles and light MGs will be tweaked to stay an target easier, and will have some sort of burst setting at their limits of shoulder accuracy in addition to suppressive fire volume settings.

Side note: I shot a thompson once--heavier than a garand, but held on target as easy as an MP5. I can see why they were respected.
Old August 4th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyius2003 View Post
The MP5 is very controllable on full auto and 5-round burst, in particular the navy version with the suppressor....
Good point of interest there btw. I've read that a suppressor can be an effective counter to full-auto wander and aid greatly in controlling the weapon. I think I even included it in some house rules at one point...

...now everybody will want a suppressor

...and the ref should include some penetration, range, and damage negatives for the suppressor lowering the muzzle velocity of course

...so that not everybody will want a suppressor all the time

Oh yes, and the Thompson, easier to handle perhaps because of the weight, yet another factor in recoil control

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-11

Riik O'Shae Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Oh yes, and the Thompson, easier to handle perhaps because of the weight, yet another factor in recoil control
And a slower rate of fire ~ 450 RPM's.

My former spouse has an uncle who was one of 100 Agents who scored 100% firing a Thompson ~ including 20 rounds at full auto.

Riik

Talos 0606/District 268

O.o ~ I drank what...?
Socrates
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Epee Citizen

Factors effecting full-auto fire are; the recoil energy of the round/firearm combination, the time between rounds fired (do the bullets cycle through so fast that the nth round is fired before the recoil of the first round has full effect?), or does gravity have time to help pull the gun back down between shots?

Generally you would want a high rate of fire to engage with shotgun like blasts of bullets while you would want a low rate of fire in order to sweep broad swaths which is how the old water-cooled mgs worked.

True machineguns use their weight and mechanical mounting to suppress recoil and return the gun to its pre-firing point of aim. However, recoil and limits to barrel accuracy help spread the burst into a "cone of fire" which is what gives the machinegun its threat to more than one person at a time. In the past certain designs proved "too accurate" at combat ranges and fired a stream of bullets into what amounted to a single hole.
Old September 28th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 10
nobby-w Citizen+nobby-w Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
I've only ever fired semi-auto weapons, so I'm a babe in the woods on this, yet I've seen Combat-Cam footage courtesy of the pentagon of guys firing off several bursts at a time.
[ . . . ]
Striker was a bit more liberal with this. For the most part it assumed that you were firing multiple shots. Semi-auto you used half a magazine, full auto you used the whole magazine. If you made your roll by 2 or more you go an extra hit for every two you make the roll by.
Old September 28th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 29
Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++Enoki Citizen++

The easiest fix in terms of the game on this is simply to impose ammunition limits on players. This could be as easy as every automatic burst from a weapon removes 1/3rd, 1/4, etc., of the ammunition in a magazine and you have X magazines available.

The player will quickly realize that it's pretty stupid to blow through all your ammo in automatic when you get nearly unlimited fire on single shot or semi-auto.
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:02 PM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I came up with kind of an interesting rule for ammo use.

For burst or auto type situations, you divide the rounds used by the skill of the shooter.
So a Auto-1 uses a whole clip, Auto-2 uses 1/2 of the clip, Auto-3 uses 1/3 at a time, and Auto-4 uses 1/4, etc.

Idea being the more experienced shooters will have fire discipline and get the same job done.
Old January 6th, 2019, 02:06 AM

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoki View Post
The easiest fix in terms of the game on this is simply to impose ammunition limits on players. This could be as easy as every automatic burst from a weapon removes 1/3rd, 1/4, etc., of the ammunition in a magazine and you have X magazines available.

The player will quickly realize that it's pretty stupid to blow through all your ammo in automatic when you get nearly unlimited fire on single shot or semi-auto.
I am nasty. The players have to keep track of ammunition expenditure. They learn not to use full auto, after being out of ammo a couple of times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old January 6th, 2019, 05:18 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I insist on ammo tracking too. I'm not a fan of games that abstract this.

Imagine going up against the Chamax horde and not knowing exactly how many shotgun shells you have...
Old February 7th, 2019, 03:45 PM

Straybow Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
For burst or auto type situations, you divide the rounds used by the skill of the shooter.
So a Auto-1 uses a whole clip, Auto-2 uses 1/2 of the clip, Auto-3 uses 1/3 at a time, and Auto-4 uses 1/4, etc.

Idea being the more experienced shooters will have fire discipline and get the same job done.
Yeah, but that ignores the type of round and size of the mag. For example, it's really easy to burn through 30 rounds with a 5.56 or similar low recoil ammo. With an AK47 or the like you can do it, but before the end of the mag the barrel is flailing a bit. Try doing that with the far more powerful 30-06 BAR, or even the .308 M14. It just ain't gonna happen unless in full panic.

Second is the size of the mag. Larger mags are going to be less likely to burn through. The M16 uses a 30 round mag that's fairly compact. The P90 has a 50 round mag. For 7.62 the 30 round mags are a bit unwieldy, and 20 rounds is more common.

Third, I'd note that for basic CT one doesn't ordinarily get above 2 ranks unless it's a goal, and 1 rank is fully competent. At AR-2 you'd be an expert. Not necessarily a marksman, but extremely well trained in use. Maybe that is different for other versions.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!