Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old July 20th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+BlackBat242 Citizen+
Default Empress Wave no big deal?

Virtually every time I have seen the EW discussed here, statements are always made about how it will disrupt Jump travel, change the fabric of the Imperium, etc.

The statements are never challenged, but always agreed with.

However, it seems this is NOT the case!

Having finally (while reading the "ancients" thread) gotten frustrated enough to try to find out just what the EW is (the people here automatically assuming everyone knows what it is, despite large numbers of us never having bought or even looked at any TNE, etc material), I found this nice, long interview Loren Wiseman had with David Nilsen.
http://www.cgi101.com/~lkw/AskDave.txt

In it he makes these statements:
Quote:
Jspace physics would not be changed, but to the extent that Jspace and psionic supraspace were related, that supraspace would be "closer" to Nspace.
The overall result would not be a sea-change of the fabric of the campaign background, but the introduction of new abilities. These abilities, if manifested in a PC in a roleplaying group that wanted such a thing, could make quite a difference in the feel of the TNE campaign.

However, for an old-time hard-sf roleplaying group, the ffects could mostly be, "Didja hear, they hauled away that psion down the street for going nuts?" "Yeah, well that's what they get for being different."
!!!
Jspace physics would not be changed
The overall result would not be a sea-change of the fabric of the campaign background
!!!

Well, that contradicts just about everything I have read here on CotI.

Opinions?
Old July 20th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Dave contradicts what was in the text; this seems normal practice for Dave N. His writing seems to have continuous issues with not matching what he intended to put down. He made a lot of poor wording choices in TNE.

Sea-change in the fabric of the campaign background includes a great many things Dave N. didn't consider part of the "fabric" of the campaign background... including things like a stable Zhodani Consulate, the J6 limit, The Regecy retaining Imperial Culture, and other bits.... TNE was a constant series of "sea-changes in the campaign fabric."

Easier and more common psionics would be a huge one. The current levels are bloody rare and pretty low; deniable unless you see ZTM's hop aboard your ship. If suddenly 1% of the population are useful wild talents (instead of the 0.01% implied in some sources), you'll have huge social and societal changes... Dave apparently doesn't consider that a change to the fabric of the campaign setting.

It is a simple difference of understanding of what the campaign's fabric is.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
Zparkz Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Zparkz Send a message via MSN to Zparkz

Those changes compared to the virus and the CT/MT(Rebellion) that is a minor change in background. I would view those as evolvement. Things change over time. Sometimes fast, other times at glacial speeds.
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen

I found the EW the biggest disappointment of the New Era rather than heralding a new Invasion threat that would have all the races of Charted Space come together in a common front...it was more a wimpy phenomena. I liked MJD explanation but I have come further to believe it was more than a signal or cry it was rather a highly concentrated burst to recreate the civilization more Rimward...the Empress was in fact the ruler of such an Invasion...

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old July 26th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Gallery : 0
Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

Is there an adventure that actually implements the EW in a meaningful way?

And by 'meaningful', I mean somewhere between a general non-event ("Yeah, BB ... I hear that all the Psions in this sector have gone nutsoidal!"), and a "Paranoia"-like adventure where everyone is a psionic mutant of one sort or another.

Something interesting, playable and fun.