Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
skyth Citizen
Default Postage rates

Out of curiosity, is there any set rate to mail something to another system?
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Yes. TTA and Supp 12 both have rates. I don't have them handy.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM

skyth Citizen

Sup 12 has a form, but no rates.
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

There has of course always been (since LBB2) the expedient personal touch, contact a starship Captain and for Cr20-120 they will (the presumption being they are trusty) deliver your personal mail to the next stop. Or you might approach a crew member of a starship for a more secret (and possibly less trusty) delivery.

For extra interest, imagine sending your mail with a lowberth passenger bound for where you want. They'll be happy for a little extra coin. Or you might try another (high or mid) passenger.

Anyway, the X-Boat service rates aren't in Supp 12 (that I can see, I thought they were right on the form, but it's not in that version and I don't see it in the text either, maybe a later one?).

Found it in The Traveller Adventure.

"Xmail: Messages sent by xboat. Xmail carries information
only; material objects may not be sent. The message
is digitally coded; xmail costs Cr1O per 20 kilobits per
parsec. The message may be sent using a standard Anglic
character set (about Cr1O for a 500 word message) or a
picture may be reproduced in facsimile (Cr20 for a
200 x 200 bit matrix). The message is printed out at its
destination and delivered by a world's local mail system."

So, about Cr20 per page per parsec.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012

Last edited by far-trader; May 17th, 2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: errata ;-)
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM

skyth Citizen

Thanks. I did find the info in TTA once I went looking for it.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Found it in The Traveller Adventure.

"Xmail: Messages sent by xboat. Xmail carries information
only; material objects may not be sent. The message
is digitally coded; xmail costs Cr1O per 20 kilobits per
parsec. The message may be sent using a standard Anglic
character set (about Cr1O for a 500 word message) or a
picture may be reproduced in facsimile (Cr20 for a
200 x 200 bit matrix). The message is printed out at its
destination and delivered by a world's local mail system."

So, about Cr20 per page per parsec.
I think we had this discussion before (but I can't seem to find it). Those X-Message rates would make the X-Boat service richer than any MegaCorp. Those rates were made back in the 70's when computers still filled a room (or several) and RAM or hard memory was expensive.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
I think we had this discussion before (but I can't seem to find it). Those X-Message rates would make the X-Boat service richer than any MegaCorp. Those rates were made back in the 70's when computers still filled a room (or several) and RAM or hard memory was expensive.
Maybe on the TML?

Anyway, it doesn't matter how big or small the computer is, nor how cheap or expensive it is to build, the message price may be (is imo) still valid. We are talking about interstellar communication (and it's totally made up like every other economic price). Though hunting it up I did go "hunh? per parsec rate?! fancy that!"

As far as the IISS being the POWER in the Imperium, well yeah, of course it is

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
Maybe on the TML?

Anyway, it doesn't matter how big or small the computer is, nor how cheap or expensive it is to build, the message price may be (is imo) still valid. We are talking about interstellar communication (and it's totally made up like every other economic price). Though hunting it up I did go "hunh? per parsec rate?! fancy that!"

As far as the IISS being the POWER in the Imperium, well yeah, of course it is
I've never been on the TML.

But,

Do you really think they'd be charging Cr10 per KILOBIT?!?

Computers are now rated in GigaBytes and I haven't heard the word KiloBit since the 80's. I just went looking for a kilobit to kilobyte converter - 1 gigabyte is 8,388,608 kilobits (divided by 20 kilobits per message/page = 419430.4 multiplied by Cr10 = 4,194,304 Credits per GigaByte). My home computer has an 80 GigaByte harddrive. By The Traveller Book standards, my home computer harddrive can make up to Cr335,544,320 (335 Million Credits) in a one-parsec trip. That's just one trip by one ship if it was using my home computer as a storage medium for X-Messages. Granted, the drive might not always be full (could hold 33,554,432 messages), but with High-Population worlds, it's possible it could be.

How many X-Boats are out there in the Imperium?

I don't think The Third Imperium would ever have a money/economic problem, tho. There wouldn't be a need for interstellar taxes.

At those rates, would any corporation bother with the X-Boat service? They'd make a killing bypassing the X-Boat system and starting their own message service at cut rates. Even cutting the price 90% (only charging 10% of the Imperial price) would be 33.5 Million Credits per parsec (still theoretically using my home computer harddrive). Why would anyone ever get into the interstellar cargo shipping business if they could just courier messages from one system to the next? They could pay off the ship in one run.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; May 18th, 2009 at 02:39 AM..
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Computers are now rated in GigaBytes and I haven't heard the word KiloBit since the 80's.
Sure, but computer storage is funny that way. It doesn't matter how much they increase it they keep finding ways to fill it up. Does you GigaByte computer really do that much more than than the Kilobyte computers of years past? It's just done flashier is all. Same for messages in the far future imo. So instead of some archaic telegram. Stop. With just words. Stop. You get a fully interactive hologram, or whatever. I never used the Kilobit rating, I just did it by pages. Text or graphic, or whatever, and it was all deeply encrypted and backed up in triplicate and stored holographically. The data capacity was never the issue. As today compared to then, the same info just fills the greater storage capacity

Compare it instead to secure shipping of sensitive documents. There's no way citizen Jayne Doe is routinely sending love notes to his sweetheart 5 sectors away via X-Boat like we exchange e-mails or snail mail here on Earth. It's more like Corp-X is sending contracts and such to it's branches a world or two distant. The only entities sending anything further are MegaCorps (and they typically have their own couriers) or silly PCs who left something important behind and only now realize they need it sent to them, after they misjumped a dozen parsecs (sucks to be them ).

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

I simply left the costs per page at 500 words (presuming a major issue is entry fees, not memory), and the facsimile page at 75pixels per mm in 32bit color. (about 300dpi), and left the fees. The pix are far easier to handle, but the text input is typed in by hand, often while talkign to the customer. A ready data packet I cut to Cr2/parsec per 500 words.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.