Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old June 17th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 16
CosmicGamer Citizen
Default Combat - Auto Fire Question

Because of the high number of rounds fired (3x auto rating) should auto fire inherit the same damage bonus that burst fire gets or is it just the extra attack(s)?
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

Gallery : 0
Amra Citizen

If your asking about RAW, I believe it's just the extra attacks. If your saying it "should" add the bonus as a house rule, that's an interesting idea. It would have to be play tested, but it looks reasonable to me since the base damage dice is reduced to two d6 per target on full auto.
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Cool Not like I have MoT.

I don't know, I don't have Mongoose, was thinking about it, I still need to get some New Era too.

Anyway, usually I go with more attacks with no DMG bump, but that is just me.

It's the difference between burst (being at least slightly, aimed fire) and auto-fire (being the old [VR] motto of "Government Ammo! You ain't paying for it, Uncle Sam did, so use it!" or as they say 'pray and spray', suppressive fire). One is trying to kill or down a target the other is just to keep their heads down!
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Apparition Citizen

I have been pondering this issue, as something about it seems wrong. I am leaning towards a rule from cyberpunk, where the amount of area you are trying to cover with fire would have an effect on what happens. If you are using a full-auto burst on a 5 meter wide area against a single target, it would have a way different effect then if you sprayed over a huge area at multpile targets. Perhaps an accuracy bonus reflecting the sheer amount of rounds going through such a small space (perhaps equal to the auto value of the weapon, which is decreased by one per additional target or additional 5meter area) or penalties to the people being shot at (to simulate the effect of being suppressed by a large volume of rounds). The rule as is just seem to be multiple attacks, and I feel that if damage is not to be calculated per bullet, and you can increase your damage by simply firing a burst, there should be some advantage to suppresive fire other then just multiple attacks.
Previous posts on this topic have said (and i heartilly agree) that automatic fire is HUGELY innacurate, but usually the idea of doing it is to, as said above, keep heads down so since there is no "panic" type of effect built in, I think penalty, again perhaps the auto factor of the weapon, would be reasonable.