Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old August 16th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 1
Visit Brian Blank's Blog
Brian Blank Citizen
Default Ship Designs from Star Trek

Has anyone ever tried to work any of the Star Trek ship designs into Traveller? DS-9's Defiant and the Delta Flyer look like good candidates to fit into the Traveller Universe.

I was thumbing through my DS-9 tech manual and trying to come up with CT stats for the Defiant. From the the stats I have (170.68x134.11x30.1) she displaces almost 49,000 dtons if i have my math right but that seems too big. From the deckplans she looks more like 4000 dtons.

The type 10 shuttle works out to about 14 dtons ( about right for a Gig) and the shuttlepod a whopping 2dtons ( got to be a grav vehicle)

Any ideas would be welcome. Then I'll post what I come up with for the group .

Thanks

.................................................. .................................................. ...."In Space No One can hear you scream the Battle Cry of The United States Marines" - R. Lee Ermey -Space:Above and Beyond
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

I get about 51,000 tons at 13.5 cubic meters per dton. Yeah that does sound a bit off. Are you sure those measurements are in meters? If that is size in feet you get around 567 tons.

*slightly off-tangent*

What surprised me (though it shouldn't have) was when I realized that Traveller Jump drives are as fast as a ST ship at warp 5-8 (if I remember correctly, I have the figures running around somehwere).
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Which scale, Hunter?

Tech Manual Vc=Wf^3, Fandom TNG Vc=Wf^4, or the Vc=Wf^(3.3+((-log10(10-Wf)+1)*(-log10(10-Wf)/2)*0.2)) from the TNG Tech Manual?

J1 is 3.26*52.5 C, or about 170 LY/Y... so roughly Jn*170 C
TM Wf 5 is 125C, 6 is 216, 8 is516, 10 is 1000...
Fandom TNG is WF3=81C, WF4=256C, WF5=625C, 6=1296C
TNG TM WF4=101.6, WF5=213.7, WF 6=392.5, WF7=656.1, 8=1024. (rounded to nearest 10/th)

So J3 is faster than Classic warp 8...

The big difference is sustainability, at which point we cut Jdrives to about 120C per JN for XBoat-style routes, and 90C for merchant routes.. so it's more like WF4-8 TNGTM scale, 3-6 Fandom scale, and 5-12 on the old TOS TM scale. Let's face it, for the short run, an Xboat outruns the NCC1701. For the long run, the BB's can keep up with the cruise speeds.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; August 16th, 2007 at 03:14 AM..
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen

This is the quickest I could find, not sure which warp table I pulled it from, though from your figures it looks like TNG:

Code:
TABLE: Warp Drives vs Jump Drives
Jump	C	Warp
1	x170	4.5
2	x343	6
3	x525	6.5
4	x650	7
5	x850	7.5
6	x1024	8
There may be some massaging of the figures, etc., so don't expect an exact match or accuracy. Not even sure this one is correct, it's the first example I could find (I have worked on this in a couple of different documents)
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Old August 16th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Badbru Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Badbru

For TNE,
I did up a Bird of Prey as a 300 Dton TL-F ship.
Two parallel mount Particle accellerators for the wing tip disruptors and an auto loading, non standard size, three tube, missile bay for the torpedo launcher.
Black Globe generator worked for the cloaking device.
The players had to do without Transporters though.
It came to jump 3 and 6g with, from memory, nine crew, which is about the same as that recomended in the Star Trek 'verse I think.

My players loved that little ship. They tore a Broadsword to shreds with it in a couple of combat turns.

The only downside to the design was no small craft and very little cargo space as I recall.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Yup... it's TNG.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 1
Visit Brian Blank's Blog
Brian Blank Citizen

Hi Hunter, Badbru, Aramis,

Thank you all. It's nice to be a part of this group.

I checked and the measurements I gave were in meters. What seems odd to me besides the size of the ship was the size of the shuttlepod, An air-raft takes up 4 dtons yet one of those comes out to only 2. I'm going to scale those up to 6 dtons, about the size of a grav speeder.

Btw, the Runabouts come out to about 125dtons. Just the right size for a Scout or even a Troop shuttle.

I love the idea of a Bird of Prey. You're right, no small craft and not much cargo. Maybe a good niche for that would be as a raider and think of the fun you could have taking the jump drives out and using them in an SDB role.

Another good design would be the Minerva from the Crusher Joe anime. I'd ballpark her at about 1200 dtons. Now if I can just find some images .

" Gee, I didn't know Hivers ate corn dogs. "
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Bob Weaver Citizen
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbru View Post
For TNE,
I did up a Bird of Prey as a 300 Dton TL-F ship.
Two parallel mount Particle accellerators for the wing tip disruptors and an auto loading, non standard size, three tube, missile bay for the torpedo launcher.
Black Globe generator worked for the cloaking device.
The players had to do without Transporters though.
It came to jump 3 and 6g with, from memory, nine crew, which is about the same as that recomended in the Star Trek 'verse I think.

My players loved that little ship. They tore a Broadsword to shreds with it in a couple of combat turns.

The only downside to the design was no small craft and very little cargo space as I recall.
How did you stat the PA guns for the Bird of Prey? Were you using Bk 2 or Bk 5 rules? I haven't seen any published rules on using PA guns in Bk 2 ship combat. All the same, I'm not surprised the Bird tore up the Broadsword. It's not a very combat-optimized design.

Cheers,

Bob W

"As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear, nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house." Aragon son of Arathorn, Isildur's heir of Gondor.

My Traveller blog
Ancient Faith in the Far Future
Knight of the order of St Ignatius of Antioch
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Badbru Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Badbru

Like I said in the first line, it was for TNE.

I built it in Fire, Fusion, and Steel and the battles were using Brilliant Lances.

The PA's were not huge at all. From memory they were 100mj 5:100 10:100 20:25 40:12 weapons. You'd have to know TNE & BL to know what that means I guess. I actually own CT Bk 2 and Bk 5 but I've never used Bk 5 as I couldn't get past page one were it says ships don't use fuel and never could remember the ship code number strings that look like binary code. Been 20+ years since I've used Bk 2 also so I doubt I could convert anything for you. Sorry.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:26 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

LBB2 PAs are covered in JTAS 4 p19.