Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old March 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
signless Citizen
After quite a long absence, I'm poking my head back in my favorite Traveller hangout. Mostly to ask a question...start a discussion, perhaps...and certainly to see what my fellow Travellers think about the immersive online environment of Second Life and it's possible impact on RPG's.
When SL first appeared, I checked it out...thought it was a bit interesting, but rather limited in scope. Several years passed by before I logged in again...last November, as a matter of fact...and for the past five months I have been neck deep in what I feel to be the most amazing place. It's sucked my entire gaming group in, as well.
SL seems to be the perfect territory to explore the future of RPG's...Traveller, included. My group has become involved in a particularly vivid RP environment there...very dark, very dystopian, very cyberpunk....and we're completely loving it.
It's literally like we're all teenagers again, huddled around a table, dice in hand, scribbling notes on paper and swilling down Pepsi behind mouthfulls of delivery pizza and Lay's potato chips.
Again...I want to make it clear that I'm not some new arrival to Second Life...and I clearly recognize its many shortcomings. But after visiting some of the very incredible Star Trek builds there (they have an almost-completely fleshed-out Klingon Bird of Prey that you can walk around inside...not to mention a firefly merchant vessel in a firefly-themed sim...), I'm wondering why I don't see more Traveller players there.
Any thoughts? I'm curious about this thing that's caused my beloved Traveller books to gather a thick coating of dust where they rest on the shelves.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
I for one cannot afford to engage in such games, my Traveller/RPG habit causes me about $200 every six months or so plus additional costs for Cons. Plus, I think, if it were to work Marc would really have to lighten up some his attitudes. But, I can envision the day when we all role play this way but it will be kinda sad that tabletop games will be relegated to the old dice games like Bones or what is traditional card games. Although, the way poker has made a come back, maybe in another 10yrs we will see massive (trans)national Traveller tournaments played on television for big cash...well, ok, allow me to dream a bit...

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:55 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
http://www.getafirstlife.com/
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow
Andrew, I think I love you.

I'm going to need a new keyboard too.

Crow
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Jame Citizen
He he he he he he he!
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Gallery : 1
inexorabletash has disabled reputation
Yeah, we loved that one. [img]smile.gif[/img]

(I'm a.k.a. Joshua Linden @ Linden Lab. Great to hear you're having fun, signless. What's your av's name in SL?)

BTW, here's the "cease and desist" letter that was sent to the parodista: http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archiv...#comment-75509
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Malenfant

Gallery :
that is a great "C&D" letter [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow
Quote:
Originally posted by Malenfant:
that is a great "C&D" letter [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yeah, refreshing, in fact in this modern world of litigation to hear some common sense prevailing.

So, our very own Joshua Bell is the creator of Second Life? Well, I never!

Someone over on the Deckplans Yahoo group was building a Suleiman Scout in Second Life. I've not heard about it for a while though. He probably gave up when he discovered that the inside doesn't fit into the outside and never will [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img]

Crow
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Rraurgrimm Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to Rraurgrimm
I have yet to try roleplaying in Second Life - but given the possibilites, one might have much fun there if properly prepared. The graphical element helps to add much of an additional depth to the chatroom environment (for me it basically is a more or less complex, highly-individualizeable 3d chatroom) - as long as one is willing to create the desired objects which is basically a matter of time. I wish I were able to create more interesting textures - then I would have tried to recreate a spaceship already.

If it is the future of roleplaying - I do not know. I daresay I still prefer the direct engagement, as good as the virtual alternative may be. But it adds another possible way of RPing, less prone to physical distances and the time at hand.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:23 AM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
Oh my God - lawyers with a sense of humour? Now I've seen everything...