Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old May 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Takei Citizen
Looking at the various discussions about CT+, it struck me that Decipher's CODA system (used in Star Trek and Lord of the Rings) seems to be pretty close to what we're after. IIRC Hunter has previously mentioned that he saw CT+ as shoehorning d20 into CT. Similar mechanics but appealing to those not interested in d20.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Takei Citizen
Looking at the various discussions about CT+, it struck me that Decipher's CODA system (used in Star Trek and Lord of the Rings) seems to be pretty close to what we're after. IIRC Hunter has previously mentioned that he saw CT+ as shoehorning d20 into CT. Similar mechanics but appealing to those not interested in d20.
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Is there a link to an example of the CODA rules system?
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
Is there a link to an example of the CODA rules system?
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Takei Citizen
Decipher haven't produced a lite version as far as I know. Someone is writing up (for private use) a kind of CODA SRD. It's on a Yahoo Groups page in the files section.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=140928554

Whlst I don't think the entire system would suit CT+, there are certainly elements of it that could be ported across.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM

Takei Citizen
Decipher haven't produced a lite version as far as I know. Someone is writing up (for private use) a kind of CODA SRD. It's on a Yahoo Groups page in the files section.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=140928554

Whlst I don't think the entire system would suit CT+, there are certainly elements of it that could be ported across.
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

RobertFisher Citizen
I haven't seen the Star Trek books, but I ran a Coda Lord of the Rings campaign for about a year. (& we expect to pick it up again sometime.)

There's really not much difference between how I run Coda & CT. If you sat in on sessions from both campaigns, you'd probably say I wasn't really using either system but something between them. (With maybe just a bit of leaning towards CT in the CT campaign & towards Coda in the LotR campaign.)

(Heck, it was probably some of the similarities to CT that made me buy the LotR book in the first place.)
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

RobertFisher Citizen
I haven't seen the Star Trek books, but I ran a Coda Lord of the Rings campaign for about a year. (& we expect to pick it up again sometime.)

There's really not much difference between how I run Coda & CT. If you sat in on sessions from both campaigns, you'd probably say I wasn't really using either system but something between them. (With maybe just a bit of leaning towards CT in the CT campaign & towards Coda in the LotR campaign.)

(Heck, it was probably some of the similarities to CT that made me buy the LotR book in the first place.)
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Takei Citizen
Star Trek is obviously very similar. What really attracts me to CODA is the d20 style task system, which can easily be ported into CT games.

Chargen is would also be quite easy to port across. Star Trek has one extra step over LotR. After choosing your race you choose an upbringing (called Personal Development) which gives you skills and another Edge if you want it. I like this stage as it gives your character some background; did you have an Academic Upbringing, or were you a Diplomat's Child? Were you a Starfleet Brat or an Orphan? Each one has it's own list of skills and Edges. Then it goes into classes like LotR.

The various stages of chargen give the player some control over what skills they get, but at the same time limits that choice to what is appropriate to your profesion or upbringing.

I also like CODA's experience system, which (yet again!) could be ported over.

Maybe CT+ should be CODA ported over into CT instead of d20 to CT?
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Takei Citizen
Star Trek is obviously very similar. What really attracts me to CODA is the d20 style task system, which can easily be ported into CT games.

Chargen is would also be quite easy to port across. Star Trek has one extra step over LotR. After choosing your race you choose an upbringing (called Personal Development) which gives you skills and another Edge if you want it. I like this stage as it gives your character some background; did you have an Academic Upbringing, or were you a Diplomat's Child? Were you a Starfleet Brat or an Orphan? Each one has it's own list of skills and Edges. Then it goes into classes like LotR.

The various stages of chargen give the player some control over what skills they get, but at the same time limits that choice to what is appropriate to your profesion or upbringing.

I also like CODA's experience system, which (yet again!) could be ported over.

Maybe CT+ should be CODA ported over into CT instead of d20 to CT?