Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old June 11th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Murph Citizen
Looking at the ship designs for 2300AD, the transport of main battle tanks and such weapons is prohibitively expensive. So forces used will resemble paratroop units or light infantry for the most part.

But if you are operating on a colonial world "x" light years from your main base, you will need support units and a support infrastructure that is not there. So deployed units will have to bring the bakers, cooks, engineers, quartermasters, medics, water purification, etc. So a typical unit might look like something from the Roland Green "PEACE COMPANY" novels with a combat battalion and a support battalion paired permanantly.

Comment?
Old June 11th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Simon Jester Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Simon Jester
Quote:
Originally posted by Murph:
Looking at the ship designs for 2300AD, the transport of main battle tanks and such weapons is prohibitively expensive. So forces used will resemble paratroop units or light infantry for the most part.

But if you are operating on a colonial world "x" light years from your main base, you will need support units and a support infrastructure that is not there. So deployed units will have to bring the bakers, cooks, engineers, quartermasters, medics, water purification, etc. So a typical unit might look like something from the Roland Green "PEACE COMPANY" novels with a combat battalion and a support battalion paired permanantly.

Comment?
Best series of books I'd ever read concerning this topic is Robert Frezza's Vereshchagin series: "A Small Colonial War", and "Fire in a Faraway Place" with the third book of the series (whose name escapses me at present) being a good slightly separated sequel. The heaviest pieces of equipment they have are wheeled light tanks similar to the Sheridan, but armed with Light-Recoil 90mm cannon or heavy mortars. I recommend the series wholeheartedly.

Simon Jester
[img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img]
Space Vikings? There ain\'t no space vikings here. Just us honest traders. The settlement was burning, the colonists were dead. They didn\'t need that technology anyway. That\'s our story and we\'re sticking to it.
Old June 11th, 2002, 04:19 PM

Murph Citizen
Cain's Land. Excellent series. I cannot agree more. But he has vanished as an author, nothing in years.

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Jester:
Best series of books I'd ever read concerning this topic is Robert Frezza's Vereshchagin series: "A Small Colonial War", and "Fire in a Faraway Place" with the third book of the series (whose name escapses me at present) being a good slightly separated sequel. The heaviest pieces of equipment they have are wheeled light tanks similar to the Sheridan, but armed with Light-Recoil 90mm cannon or heavy mortars. I recommend the series wholeheartedly.

Simon Jester
[img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img] [/QB]
Old June 11th, 2002, 04:22 PM

Murph Citizen
My suggested TO&E for an off world expeditionary unit. For my Texas Campaign set in 2302. The Republic of Texas deploys the following:

Battalion Headquarters (LTC)
Battalion Artillery Company
3 Firing Platoons (2 Guns each) (6 guns)(155mm)
Battalion Scout Platoon (LRRP)
12 Vehicles
Battalion ADA Platoon
8 Gun Vehicles
Battalion Pathfinder Platoon

Rifle Battalion (Major)
4 Rifle Companies
3 Rifle Platoons each
3 Squads each (12 men (3 Lances each))
1 Mortar Platoon
6 Mortars
1 Cavalry Troop
1 Lt Cav Scout platoon (Wheeled)
3 Hvy Cav Platoons
6 Coyote's each (18 total )
1 Aviation Company
2 Attack Platoons (4 a/c each)
2 Transport Platoons (6 a/c each)

Support Squadron (Major)
1 Engineer Company
5 Engineer Platoons
3 Hvy Con, 2 Lt Con
1 Mapping Platoon
No 1 Support Company
2 Maintenance Platoons
1 Ordinance & QM Pltn
1 Logistics Platoon
1 Fuel Supply Platoon
1 BMT Platoon
No 2 Support Company
1 Signal Platoon
1 Medical Platoon
1 Air/Space Ops Platoon
1 Military Intel Platoon
2 Transport Platoons (80 Trucks)
Military Police Company
3 MP Platoons
1 CID Section
1 JAG Section (incl1 Court)

Vehicles are light armored, mobile, rugged, and dependable for the BEG's. Heavy Weapons are provided by the Demolisher Mortar Carrier, ADATs, Coyote gun system, M-911 SP gun, and 6x6 trucks for Infantry Platoons. All troops are Airmobile qualified, and 25% Airborne qualified.

The Mapping Platoon has both SatRecon systems, and Drones for local mapping. They are both a Cartographic Unit and a Survey unit. The ADA Platoon has two ASAT launchers mounted on Coyote Chassis, as well as the ADATs systems. The Battalion Scout Platoon is equipped with HUMMVs and are all RANGER/COMMANDO trained. The MP Company is mounted on HUMMV's and also has the mission of HQ security. The Air/Space Ops Platoon conducts both Airstip operations, and Space Traffic Control operations for deploying traffic from the surface to space and vice versa. They control the Battalion Pathfinder Unit that jumps in first on any new world.

Regimental Expeditionary Force (REF)

Regimental HQ
3-4 Battalion Expeditionary Groups
Regimental Scout Company (LRRP-Motorized)
Regimental Cavalry Squadron
1 Lt Cav Troop
3 Heavy Cav Troops
Regimental Aviation Squadron
2 Attack Troops (Hvy VTOL)
2 Transport Troops
1 Recon/SAR Troop
1 A/C support Troop
1 Power Armor Company
1 Engineer Bn
2 Hvy Construction Co's
2 Light Construction Co's
1 Engineer Recon Company
1 Civil Affairs Platoon
MASH
1 Field Hospital
1 Bio-chemical Medical Unit
1 Sanitation Section
1 Vetrinary Medicine Section
1 Air/Evac Section (8 a/c)
Artillery Battalion
2 Batteries 155mm (12 guns)
1 Battery MLRS (8 Launchers)
1 Target Acqusition and Ranging Battery
1 Ammo & Support Battery
1 Support Battalion
2 Supply Companies
1 Transport Company (120 trucks)
1 Fuel Company
1 Ordinance and QM Company
1 Maintenance Company
1 Signal Company
1 SAS Troop
1 Base Support Company
2 Support Platoons
1 Spaceport Operations Platoon
1 Power Generation Platoon
1 Base Defense Platoon
1 Military Police Platoon
1 CID Platoon
1 Military Court
Old June 12th, 2002, 04:43 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
I tend to see an Aircav/Airmobile structure, which will give you the greatest tactical mobility and firepower for the mass/cube delivered.

An old Vietnam airmobile division had nine "infantry" battalions, a couple of howitzer Battalions, an Air Cavalry Squadron, An Arial Rocket Artillery Battalion (with Cobra gunships), and a Heliccopter Transport Battalion, with 3(?) companies of "slicks" and one heavy lift company (mostly for moving howitzers around.)
The Vietnam era aircav troop had a "blue" platoon on infantry in "slicks", a "white" platoon of light observation helicopters, and a "red" platoon of gunships. One troop (D) of the Aircav squadron was infantry in jeeps.

I am not suggesting slavish imitation but this shows what was possible.

I haven't got a clear enough idea what VTOL capabilities are in 2300, so I an not sure how specific I want to be. Rules for space weapons are not currently configured for planetary attack, but this could be easily done. I expect Orbital fire support to be very important, as Naval Gunfire is to Marines. (Arclight on call... ) An early priority will be neutralizing commo/gps/surveillance satellites and putting up our own constellation. Casualties will be evacuated to orbit soonest.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old June 12th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Simon Jester Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Simon Jester
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
I tend to see an Aircav/Airmobile structure, which will give you the greatest tactical mobility and firepower for the mass/cube delivered..

(snip)
Unfortunately, this presupposes that the atmosphere of the planet you are sending these forces to has a thick enough atmosphere to allow helicopters or other AirCav vehicles to operate. Or even has enough free oxygen in the atmosphere to allow air-breathing engines. Also, helicopters are maintenance-intensive vehicles at the best of times, and fairly thirsty when it comes to fuel-consumption.

The whole idea behind the Colonial Army is to provide enough military force to do the job at the lowest possible cost, both initially and in continuing logistics. [img]graemlins/omega.gif[/img]

Simon Jester
Space Vikings? There ain\'t no space vikings here. Just us honest traders. The settlement was burning, the colonists were dead. They didn\'t need that technology anyway. That\'s our story and we\'re sticking to it.
Old June 13th, 2002, 09:39 PM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Simon Jester:
Unfortunately, this presupposes that the atmosphere of the planet you are sending these forces to has a thick enough atmosphere to allow helicopters or other AirCav vehicles to operate. Or even has enough free oxygen in the atmosphere to allow air-breathing engines. Also, helicopters are maintenance-intensive vehicles at the best of times, and fairly thirsty when it comes to fuel-consumption.
I tried to suggest VTOL vehicles like the one on the box cover, which hopefully avoid the limitations of helicopters. And 90% of the need for expeditionary forces with tactical mobility will be on worlds with a breathable atmosphere where the population is dispersed (and may have fuel that can be commandeered). In this enironment a company with air transport can be more valuable (and thus cost effective) than a battalion in trucks or a regiment on foot.

Most operations in hostile environments will be deployed directly from interface vehicles to habitats ore other targets. This will call for troops highly trained in Urban Combat and equiped for hostile environments and vaccum.

Actually, I think that autonamous and remotely operated combat vehicles will be a significant part of any force.
Rule #35 - "That which does not kill you has made a tactical error" From The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Old June 15th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

BMonnery Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Murph:

Comment?
Strangely, the subject of jump troops is under discussion on the "real" 2300AD list (2300NonCanon@Yahoogroups.com). Some fairly serious work has gone into some web article (which I was involved in). It's been proved that the unrealistic fuelayload interface ratios are fine, if stutterwarp work within orbital space at a lower efficency (as described in the boxed set).

The logistics of planetary drops have been worked out. For a combined arms battlegroup (battalion with HBT and HIFV, artillery etc.) an Anjou (bulk transport) load a month is roughly the requirement. So the real question is how many starships in your campaign.

You might want to look at this: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dh...rsn/RSNLSA.htm

Bryn
Old June 16th, 2002, 01:12 AM

Murph Citizen
Excellent assault carrier work up! I like it. The force is still going to have to have a rather large logisticall "tail" as it were.
Old June 17th, 2002, 01:04 AM

Uncle Bob Citizen
Nice. I would replace one of the flights of 60 ton AL.3s with two flights of 30 ton gunships (or three flights of 20 ton gunships?). That way the transports don't have to expose themselves so much.

I would love to see the Organization of the Assault Landing Group. The tail should be minimal, Murph, as it is not designed for extended operations. Your TOE is better suited to long deployments.