Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:57 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 11
rancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizenrancke Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W Bell View Post
According to their shipping charges, assuming it weighs 1kg or less, the shipping will be 46.50 euros. So that's 66.45 euro total. Or approx $88 USD.
Shipping charges have really gone through the roof in the last couple of decades. I remember looking into a book exchange program (called something like Bookmooch) where the people involved swop books and pay only the shipping charges of the book they send. I concluded that it was just not worth it.

Hans
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:51 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Visit curmudgeon's Blog
curmudgeon Citizen
Send a message via AIM to curmudgeon Send a message via Yahoo to curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
It says "Price 19,95 EUR", then below that says "Incl. 19% tax plus shipping".

I read it that 19.95 Euro includes the map plus tax plus shipping. Isn't that what it says? Or does the "Incl." somehow mean plus?

Looks like 19.95 Euro is currently US$26.50 - kinda high for a map, but not the $100 that someone quoted above.
My price quote went with the 2 kg weight on their shipping costs to the USA. The shipping costs are just insane. I really wish I knew what causes these costs to get so crazy so quickly.
Ancient Gamer and Curmudgeon
A Traveller since 1979
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

BytePro Citizen

Postage rates are ridiculous for individuals and small businesses... though in this case it may also be from not knowing the system. (Most shippers offer special rates for media or with specific handling procedures...)

It would be most cost effective to have a U.S. service print and ship the product. Though one loses control of the quality.

I have free access to a 64" (162mm) wide solvent printer and have been toying with the idea of making a wall map (with metal sheet backing for magnetic counters). Can't imagine it would ever be worth it making these for sell though, giving shipping costs. (Media and ink are pretty pricey too - in my case they are free, within reason.)
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Kyron Citizen
They put their stuff up on amazon.de. A lot of their books at least are. The map isn't up yet but i guess it will go there too so it might be cheaper to get it via amazon.
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:27 PM
Count

Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

I placed an order, and on the email confirmation it said this:
Quote:
We are currently trying to find ways to reduce the shipping costs to the USA and Canada. In case we succeed we will reimburse you the difference. We will get back to you before we start shipping.
So, whether or not they are able to do anything, they are atleast aware of the issue.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM

LiamKerrington Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to LiamKerrington

This really looks nice. I take it that the Spinward Marches are "only" one small piece of the Traveller-verse, right?

I wonder - since I am not so deep in Traveller-things yet -: Are there comparable products available - I mean of similar size and quality?

And a little off-topic: What makes the Spinward Marches special?

All the best!
Liam

http://www.madadventurers.com = Mad Adventurers Society
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
This really looks nice. I take it that the Spinward Marches are "only" one small piece of the Traveller-verse, right?
Yes. If you want to get some perspective on the size of Charted Space in the OTU and location of various sectors, take a look at the Traveller Map site. The Spinward Marches are on the spinward edge of the Third Imperium, adjoining the Zhodani and the Vargr.

Quote:
I wonder - since I am not so deep in Traveller-things yet -: Are there comparable products available - I mean of similar size and quality?
I don't know of products like this jumbo laminated map for any other sector, if that is what you mean.

Quote:
And a little off-topic: What makes the Spinward Marches special?
As mentioned above, it has an interesting location for setting of adventures, being on the edge of the Imperium and adjacent to Zhodani, Vargr, Sword Worlds, and many smaller polities. The five Frontier Wars have all happened in the Marches. It was the first published sector in CT, and many many many CT published adventures were set in the Marches. Further adventures have been set there in every version of Traveller with which I am familiar. Many players and GMs are familiar with the Marches from past adventures.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

The Spinward Marches was the first sector and setting book produced for Traveller by GDW.

The early adventures and double adventures were set therein.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 01:27 PM

LiamKerrington Citizen
Send a message via Skype™ to LiamKerrington

Hi there,

thank you very much. That helps a lot. And yes, I wondered, if there were other jumbo laminated maps of traveller-universe-sector-maps.

All the best!
Liam

http://www.madadventurers.com = Mad Adventurers Society
Old February 22nd, 2013, 03:15 PM
Peer of the Realm

Baron Citizen

There have been sector-maps of the Spinward Marches, that looked very nice. If you're lucky and can track one down, you could have it laminated. Can you do all that for less than $100? I imagine so, but maybe not.