Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old March 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Citizen: SOC-3

Gallery : 0
hbeverly Citizen
Thumbs up Traveller-AR iPhone Game Confirmed + Video + Sweepstakes

Traveller Fans... the iPhone Game "Traveller AR" is for real!

I work for Ingz, Inc. (makers of said upcoming game), and I can officially confirm the game has been formally announced. I ask permission to periodically post updates such as this one when there is something new/news to share. I'll also lurk these forums and answer any questions that might come up. (and welcome ideas as well!) My hope is that this iPhone game will spark renewed interest in the greatness that is Traveller.

Currently, there is a beta signup happening here... only a few spots left, so hurry!:
http://www.traveller-ar.com/signup-for-beta/

In addition, there is a new Trailer video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U0xJDx_ROw

Finally, there is a cool Sweepstakes going on where you get to "Name an in-Game Star System" here:
http://karmaback.com/spend/prize/201...04__157518150/

That is all.

Moderator/Admin, if you prefer me to post elsewhere or have any another suggestions, please email me, and I'll follow any rules you set forth.
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

matthej Citizen
Default Thank You

Is this for the phone only?

I have both an itouch and an ipad

Is it likely to work on these?

Looks good though

John
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM

hbeverly Citizen

John,

Yes, it will be available on iPad and iTouch as well.

Here's the full FAQ, that talks about devices/etc.:
http://www.traveller-ar.com/discussi...loper-faq/#p21
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

I don't have (i) products. Just smart phone & computers. Is it going to be ported to a broader set of platforms or just stay niche?
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_B View Post
I don't have (i) products. Just smart phone & computers. Is it going to be ported to a broader set of platforms or just stay niche?
iPhone is hardly niche...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpuħ dtħ f+ fs++ geħ ih- infħ jħ jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
iPhone is hardly niche...
It is when you're talking marketing a s/w product that has high production value and your audience is Trav players. After 10 years of successfully mktg B2B & B2C s/w, I can safely say that it IS niche.
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:29 PM

hbeverly Citizen

we do hope to expand to new platforms after our initial launch this summer...

however, currently we are focused on iDevices.
Old April 14th, 2011, 06:05 PM

hbeverly Citizen
Default iPad 2

We just got an iPad 2 in the office for an upcoming Augmented Reality conference...

Our Traveller AR iPad build installed flawlessly and looks freaking AMAZING!

So, if you were on the edge of buying an iPad 2 or not... can I say 1 thing: DO IT!
Old April 14th, 2011, 07:54 PM

whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+whartung Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_B View Post
It is when you're talking marketing a s/w product that has high production value and your audience is Trav players. After 10 years of successfully mktg B2B & B2C s/w, I can safely say that it IS niche.
It's a pretty exciting and lucrative niche at the moment. Now it is niche, and, if Apple has its way, it will remain niche.

Apple has no motivation to be THE dominant player in any particular space. Rather, it's motivation is to be the most successful and profitable player. It's pretty easy to look at the charts and see how Marketshare != profitability or company evaluation.

Apple iDevices live in a walled garden, and there they will remain. As long as the space is large, the walled garden can remain with its gates intact, which is to Apple's advantage. The only thing that's going to pry those gates open besides Apple's good graces will be State authorities knocking on the gates with guns in hand.

As long as there is a diverse marketplace of similar products, the men with guns will not show up. The anti-trust enforcers won't bother.

So, yes, Apples stuff will remain "niche". But it will be a large niche. This is quite clear in the smart phone market. It will be more clear in the tablet market in a year or so as the competitors catch up and come up with products that don't suck, something they're struggling with now. What Apple does now is no different than what game console makers have been doing for ages, and there are and have been a lot of game consoles.

Now, as a CONSUMER, as a human being that enjoys consuming digital content and media, I can't imagine why anyone who was in a market for one of these types of devices would not by an Apple iPod Touch or iPad. The rest are simply just awful and don't even cost less. Two years may be different. But not now. It will be exciting when they finally step up.

Geeks will nerd rage about them, but for regular people, it's a no brainer.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:54 AM

Ben W Bell Citizen

My question is, from looking at the trailers etc, what exactly does the Augmented Reality add to the game? I don't see the advantage of it. Tilt and motion sensitivity sure, but full AR, I can't see the advantage of it so I must be missing something.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."