Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD View Post
5. What sort of time frame are we looking at before T5 is commercially available, and then how long until enough supplements appear to make people want to switch to its setting?
Kinda get ahead of stuff. Who knows if T5 will do any better in the market place than T4 did?
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Baronet

Gallery : 0
Visit MJD's Blog
MJD has disabled reputation

T5 is pretty much guaranteed to sink without trace unless it's supported.

So, there needs to be a plan in place to provide that support.

I'm just wondering if there is, and what the plan might be.
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

The "default setting" is the Spinward Marches c.1105, same as CT & MGT, but it has lots of info on alternatives.

There are plans to include utility software.

Your help would be more than welcome down in the playtest forum.
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog

I'm a bit surprised to read that, given that my earlier efforts (asked for directly by Marc and sent direct to him) were then completely ignored and not even subject to a 'thanks for spending two days on all that' sort of email.

But I'm willing to take a look.

Of course, I'm not willing to pay for the CD in order to have a chance to look at the playtest materials. That's the main reason I've ignored T5 in the recent few years. Normally people pay me to develop games for them.

(In Soviet Russia, you pay to develop game!)

Yes, well....
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog

About the Marches as a setting...

Surely that doesn't mean a T5 Marches 1105 supplement is planned. Not only will that clash with Mongoose but it means yet another rehash of the same material. I mean, some hack already got paid for writing the definitive marches sourcebook. Twice.

Oh wait, that was me.

But surely this ground can't be usefully covered again.

So presumably this means that T5 is aimed at being an alternate rules set to use with the Mongoose setting supplements? That makes a certain amount of sense.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Dragoner Citizen-

Quote:
T5 is pretty much guaranteed to sink without trace unless it's supported.

So, there needs to be a plan in place to provide that support.

I'm just wondering if there is, and what the plan might be.
I concur, a proper marketing strategy and even a business manager are important.
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog

Yup, producing a game is only part of the requirement.
It has to be supported, marketed and so forth.

One reason why so many RPG 'companies' go under is that they simply produce a game that they like and put it out... and then nothing happens.

There needs to be a supporting product line and a business plan to go with it.

I've asked a couple of times and never received an answer that made me think that such a plan was in place, so I suspect there isn't one. My feeling is that this is a mistake.

T5 might well sell a bunch of copies to people who're interested in anything Marc Miller puts out, but that's a small segment of a small marketplace. If T5 were a hobby project that'd be fine.

But if it's intended to be more than that then it really needs a different approach. We do seem, thankfully, to be past the 'endless series of definite release dates' phase, but folks are only going to buy into a product they feel confident wil be supported. All we have so far is a couple of vague statements about forthcoming awesomeness, but no indication that anything is even in the outline stage.

I do think this is a mistake. There needs to be support for the basic rules if they're to be anything more than a curiousity.
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Yup, producing a game is only part of the requirement.
It has to be supported, marketed and so forth.

One reason why so many RPG 'companies' go under is that they simply produce a game that they like and put it out... and then nothing happens.

There needs to be a supporting product line and a business plan to go with it.

I've asked a couple of times and never received an answer that made me think that such a plan was in place, so I suspect there isn't one. My feeling is that this is a mistake.

T5 might well sell a bunch of copies to people who're interested in anything Marc Miller puts out, but that's a small segment of a small marketplace. If T5 were a hobby project that'd be fine.

But if it's intended to be more than that then it really needs a different approach. We do seem, thankfully, to be past the 'endless series of definite release dates' phase, but folks are only going to buy into a product they feel confident wil be supported. All we have so far is a couple of vague statements about forthcoming awesomeness, but no indication that anything is even in the outline stage.

I do think this is a mistake. There needs to be support for the basic rules if they're to be anything more than a curiousity.
What's there is already too much for a reasonable priced single product other than electronically.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
Starviking Citizen
Default Settings

I think the Marches is pretty restricted as a setting - a reboot of one of the Gateway Sectors might be better, as there's more free space to roam in.
Old November 28th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog

I prefer Gateway to the Marches as it's a more open (and less-times rehashed) setting.