Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:32 PM
tbeard1999's Avatar
tbeard1999 tbeard1999 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tyler
Posts: 2,705
Gallery : 0
tbeard1999 Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Check the threads. There is a very common element and it isn't Mongoose
True. However, Mongoose is the party locking threads. Now, I have no problem with a forum owner determining what the standards of conduct will be. It just seems interesting to me that locking controversial threads is the first resort. In my own FFT email group, I've rarely had to intervene. And *never* have I had someone disobey a warning to keep it civil. So, Mongoose's administrators seems overly trigger happy to me.

The fact that this has the effect of closing down threads critical of MGT is, shall we say, an interesting coincidence.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:50 PM
hunter hunter is offline
Ancient - Absent Friend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 6,168
Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
True. However, Mongoose is the party locking threads. Now, I have no problem with a forum owner determining what the standards of conduct will be. It just seems interesting to me that locking controversial threads is the first resort. In my own FFT email group, I've rarely had to intervene. And *never* have I had someone disobey a warning to keep it civil. So, Mongoose's administrators seems overly trigger happy to me.

The fact that this has the effect of closing down threads critical of MGT is, shall we say, an interesting coincidence.
Most of the locked threads aren't involving the actual MGT material.

Frankly I'd have locked them as well. There weren't doing anything but having a couple of folks going back and forth over the same thing. That's not a knock on you BTW.

I'm not giving Mongoose a pass here. I think you've brought up some real issues and as you say they do not appear to have been addressed. But I don't think Mongoose is closing the threads to stifle dissent. I think they are closing them to stop bickering in a thread no longer really serving a purpose. If they allowed them to stay open, you continue to get the same back and forth and it would likely degenerate badly, more so than it already had. Unfortunately it only takes one poster to have this effect.
__________________
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:11 PM
atpollard's Avatar
atpollard atpollard is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Port Richey
Posts: 9,353
Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome
Default

I sort of like locked threads.
When you log on after a few days and there are threads which suddenly have MANY new posts, it helps identify the bickering so I can more easily avoid it.

Perhaps some sort of word limit per day to prevent endless repetition of "But you said..." and "No, what I said was ..." - and this applies to a lot more places than the Mongoose Traveller discussions. Few rules errors really need more than one page of ideas. Most of the posts after that tend to be either an alternate system (which is Mongoose's job) or a private debate/argument.

Just my personal observations.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Renaissance Man's Avatar
Renaissance Man Renaissance Man is offline
Citizen: SOC-12
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 472
Gallery : 0
Renaissance Man Citizen
Default

I haven't been on many boards, but if all this chaos on the Mongoose board is typical, I've got to say that CotI is very well behaved.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:26 PM
tbeard1999's Avatar
tbeard1999 tbeard1999 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tyler
Posts: 2,705
Gallery : 0
tbeard1999 Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
I sort of like locked threads.
When you log on after a few days and there are threads which suddenly have MANY new posts, it helps identify the bickering so I can more easily avoid it.

Perhaps some sort of word limit per day to prevent endless repetition of "But you said..." and "No, what I said was ..." - and this applies to a lot more places than the Mongoose Traveller discussions. Few rules errors really need more than one page of ideas. Most of the posts after that tend to be either an alternate system (which is Mongoose's job) or a private debate/argument.

Just my personal observations.
I want to be sure I'm clear on this. I have no problem with obnoxious threads being locked. However, I think that the administrator should generally issue a warning first. Unless the cussin' and spewin' is out of control -- and that has not been the case in these threads. I've seen worse flamewars on my Sunday School prayer list...

Mongoose seems overly trigger-happy to me and I think that this has the consequence of enabling fans to quash dissent. And this consequence is very predictable, regardless of whether this it's intended.

And shouldn't we presume that someone intends the likely consequences of his actions?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Sturn's Avatar
Sturn Sturn is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 682
Gallery : 15
Visit Sturn's Blog
Sturn Citizen
Default

I was the one who asked for moderator help with the thread that had turned into bickering instead of discussion.In fact I asked once that the bickering stop, but a few egos couldn't help but continue. Please note that I had nothing to do with the bickering, only the debate at that thread.

There had been a good discussion about assault rifle damage, that apparently Mongoose did look into to (they announced they changed it). It was the discussion that turned into a mud slinging between a few egos that caused the thread to be locked, and the discussion was moved elsewhere (then quickly stopped because Mongoose announced that assault damage was being adjusted).

It had nothing to do with Mongoose squelching debate. This is not from a fanboy, look at most of my posts over there. It had everything to do with immaturity.

Tbeard, your posts didn't help the debate. You are complaining that they are squelching debate, when you yourself contributed to the thread being locked by adding to the bickering instead of the actual debate.

Yes Tbeard, I do see a pattern emerging.....
__________________
Terran Dawn Campaign Guide
Sturn's Shipyard
RIP #309
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -
SGT William Hisle, US Army, on receipt of a letter, asking for his confirmation of an incident, as he had been nominated for the Medal of Honor. A hero twicefold, he threw the letter away.

Last edited by Sturn; February 7th, 2008 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Sturn's Avatar
Sturn Sturn is offline
Citizen: SOC-13
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 682
Gallery : 15
Visit Sturn's Blog
Sturn Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man View Post
I haven't been on many boards, but if all this chaos on the Mongoose board is typical, I've got to say that CotI is very well behaved.
From a completely neutral person who recently joined the Mogoose forums, it isn't chaos. Please see for yourself.
__________________
Terran Dawn Campaign Guide
Sturn's Shipyard
RIP #309
"I don't need a medal, God knows what I did" -
SGT William Hisle, US Army, on receipt of a letter, asking for his confirmation of an incident, as he had been nominated for the Medal of Honor. A hero twicefold, he threw the letter away.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Able Baker Able Baker is offline
Citizen: SOC-10
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 64
Gallery : 0
Able Baker Citizen
Default

Please ignore, the comment that stood here first wasn´t helping.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
tbeard1999's Avatar
tbeard1999 tbeard1999 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tyler
Posts: 2,705
Gallery : 0
tbeard1999 Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturn View Post
I was the one who asked for moderator help with the thread that had turned into bickering instead of discussion.
It's hard to see how killing the thread constituted "help" in any meaningful definition of the term. Assuming that one wanted the discussion to continue on the merits, wouldn't it have been far better to simply warn the participants to be more civil first? I mean, it was all pretty tame stuff up to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturn View Post
It had nothing to do with Mongoose squelching debate. This is not from a fanboy, look at most of my posts over there. It had everything to do with immaturity.
It's indisputable that the thread was peremptorially ended and that this squelched further discussion in that thread. These are the facts, like 'em or not.

It is also indisputable that quickly killing contentious discussions can be exploited by unscrupulous folks who want to kill dissent. These are also the facts, like 'em or not.

As I keep saying, it really isn't necessary to determine whether this was the intended outcome. Since such an outcome is easily predictable, I think it's fair to presume that one intends the likely consequences of one's act. In any case, I am complaining about the consequences, not Mongoose's intention. Of course, I've also noticed that the consequences are rather convenient...

In any case, I posted the question a THIRD time and finally got a (rather vague) response.

Quote:
Tbeard, your posts didn't help the debate.
An ironic charge, since I started the thread (three different times). My posts included a review of gun calibers from the start of the 20th century to today and numerous comparisons between assault rifle cartridges and rifle cartidges. I also addressed the alternative theories put forth by others. I think I contributed as much substantive material as anyone to the discussion. And a damnsight more than some.

Regarding MGT and related issues, I'm willing to let my arguments speak for themselves. I have, I think, supported my factual assertions with evidence. If you have a specific disagreement with a factual assertion of mine, please feel free to let me know and we can discuss it.

But words cannot adequately express how little interest I have in defending myself against vague, unsubstantiated charges here.

Last edited by tbeard1999; February 7th, 2008 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
tbeard1999's Avatar
tbeard1999 tbeard1999 is offline
Citizen: SOC-14
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tyler
Posts: 2,705
Gallery : 0
tbeard1999 Citizen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Man View Post
I haven't been on many boards, but if all this chaos on the Mongoose board is typical, I've got to say that CotI is very well behaved.
Agreed. I like the fact that Hunter is usually willing to warn folks before killing a thread. Sometimes, it really isn't clear when you cross the line. It's how I run my own FFT email group as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.