Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Classic Traveller

Classic Traveller Discussion on the granddaddy of them all, Classic Traveller!

Old February 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Ptah Citizen
Hi Ivan,

The description in LBB2 can be a little obscure if you are not already very comfortable with vector addition. It really is basic vector addition as can be found in many a text book.

This site has a nice description of the basic concept:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSC...ectors/va.html

To your specific questions:
Quote:
So, can someone give a basic rundown of ship vector movement (book 2) for moving a ship at a steady pace, turning, and accelerating, respectively ?
For a steady pace, don't accelerate.

Turning, draw you current vector, then draw the longest vector you can in the direction you want to go, keep doing this until your vector is in the direction you want.

Acceleration, keep adding vectors to your current direction.

If you have a hex mat the Mayday approach, linked above I believe, does the same thing but you can ditch the protractor and ruler!

Finally the range band approach is very good and an even more accurate representation of actual movement if only two ships are involved. The reason being LBB2 and Mayday (IIRC) ignore the third dimension. With two combatants only distance matters, since a straight line can always be drawn between two points range bands (a straight line)are always an accurate representation. Of course if you throw in a planet all bets are off.

-Ptah
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Ptah Citizen
Hi Ivan,

The description in LBB2 can be a little obscure if you are not already very comfortable with vector addition. It really is basic vector addition as can be found in many a text book.

This site has a nice description of the basic concept:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSC...ectors/va.html

To your specific questions:
Quote:
So, can someone give a basic rundown of ship vector movement (book 2) for moving a ship at a steady pace, turning, and accelerating, respectively ?
For a steady pace, don't accelerate.

Turning, draw you current vector, then draw the longest vector you can in the direction you want to go, keep doing this until your vector is in the direction you want.

Acceleration, keep adding vectors to your current direction.

If you have a hex mat the Mayday approach, linked above I believe, does the same thing but you can ditch the protractor and ruler!

Finally the range band approach is very good and an even more accurate representation of actual movement if only two ships are involved. The reason being LBB2 and Mayday (IIRC) ignore the third dimension. With two combatants only distance matters, since a straight line can always be drawn between two points range bands (a straight line)are always an accurate representation. Of course if you throw in a planet all bets are off.

-Ptah
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Ptah:
Hi Ivan,

Heh, you know, when I saw this I had to wonder, do they even still teach vector geometry/algebra in primary/high school?

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Ptah:
Hi Ivan,

Heh, you know, when I saw this I had to wonder, do they even still teach vector geometry/algebra in primary/high school?

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old February 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

etherflyer Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
I use Mayday to teach vectors in high school.
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

etherflyer Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by far-trader:
I use Mayday to teach vectors in high school.
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

weasel fierce Citizen
Send a message via AIM to weasel fierce
allright. That helps clear up things. I'll have to break out the mini's or counters and play around with it a bit.

Slough Feg - Traders & Gunboats
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-10

weasel fierce Citizen
Send a message via AIM to weasel fierce
allright. That helps clear up things. I'll have to break out the mini's or counters and play around with it a bit.

Slough Feg - Traders & Gunboats
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
One quick bit of advice, you can skip the whole planetary gravity effects bit in my opinion, it'll simplify things a bit and you won't miss it. It never made much sense since Traveller ships seem to operate with an anitgravity effect that cancels out local gravity.

Old February 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen
One quick bit of advice, you can skip the whole planetary gravity effects bit in my opinion, it'll simplify things a bit and you won't miss it. It never made much sense since Traveller ships seem to operate with an anitgravity effect that cancels out local gravity.