Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Todg Citizen
As requested, I am starting a thread discussion current and near term small arms technologies that can be applied to Traveller and invite others to chime in. Traveller, particularly CT is a product of it's time (late 70s and early 80s) and reflects that. Further, a lot of weapons technology and military research is and was not available to the masses and so military tech, particularly weapons, tends to be either extrapolations of current tech or derived from fiction (which may or may not be based on sound physics or military requirements).

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm going to start by establishing what (in particular) the rifle should be, based on several key pieces of research that are at the center of current military thought, and then apply them to emerging technologies. Obviously, the material in question, based on experiences of the US military, may not apply to the Imperium, however, I think most of the assumptions will prove applicable.

I will be posting in parts to make it easier to comment and so that we can get the thread moving, since there seems to be lots of interest. Obviously, one can extrapolate current technology only so far, so most of what is discussed here is likely only to apply to mid tech worlds.

I will also be addressing Traveller weapons in particular, and see how they fit in. Since I am a CT referee, I will be discussion arms from Book 1 and Book 4, but any milieu is certainly grist for the mill.

More to follow.

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.