Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 28
navanod Citizen

I think a dedicated 3d forum could be a good thing. I'd certainly be willing to share what I've learned with whoever needs it.

Warrior: So far so good. I like the basic shape a lot, especially the front part. To me, it's screams "Carrier", with the launch tube directly below the forward dome structure, and the fighter recovery hangar just below that. If you were going to go that route, I'd say get rid of the front windows (if that's what they are) and move the bridge up to the top of the tall tower amidships. But that's just me.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:18 AM

Gallery : 0
iron warrior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by navanod View Post
I think a dedicated 3d forum could be a good thing. I'd certainly be willing to share what I've learned with whoever needs it.

Warrior: So far so good. I like the basic shape a lot, especially the front part. To me, it's screams "Carrier", with the launch tube directly below the forward dome structure, and the fighter recovery hangar just below that. If you were going to go that route, I'd say get rid of the front windows (if that's what they are) and move the bridge up to the top of the tall tower amidships. But that's just me.
Oh, yes, those are windows. This is meant to be a relatively small vessel. For a second I was going "WTF?!?!" when you said "carrier", as I'd assumed everyone would see it as basically an advanced helicopter gunship type thing.

(I keep humming the theme to "airwolf" as I work on it...)

The angled things are windows, the 3 above. The two flat recesses are meant to be some sort of sensor panels behind a clear cover, I may change those to doors unless I can work some into the sides of the compartment.

But this is definitely no carrier, more of a gunship. Maybe a 3-5 man crew, optional pods o the sides, etc. Say 25 or so meters in length.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:40 AM

navanod Citizen

With no scale apparent, I tend to go big. Should make a dandy gunship too.
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:05 AM

iron warrior Citizen

OK, hey wasn't slamming on you, it just surprised the hell out of me, but I understand, with no doors yet and the windows being opaque it could be hard to tell the scale. Gotta fix that.

If you want to download blender and the videotutorial I've linked to you could always make it a carrier. I might suggest making the lift motors a series of smaller ones inside the central ring for that, but I suppose you could make a "helicarrier" scale beast out of it
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:06 AM

Space Hamster Citizen

I am working on this tutorial for the Serenity ship. The tutorial is for LightWave but could be a good referance for other programs. The tutorial is in the PDFs that are posted in the posts of this thread.

http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1281
- Captain Jeelg
Old November 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM

navanod Citizen

Excellent tutorial. I use MAX, so some of the tools are a bit different, but it's still a good guide to the flow of a project of that scale. Well done.
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Space Hamster Citizen

In the thread somewhere somebody mentioned doing a conversion for 3D Studio Max. I have no idea if they did it or if it is any good.

Yes this tutorial breaks the project up real well. I am only done with the first PDF but I am still a rooky at LightWave. It is clearly a huge project and I hope I finish.
- Captain Jeelg
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM

navanod Citizen

A conversion to max terms would be nice, but not required. Sometimes just the concept of how to get something done is all it takes to make the light come on. I started years ago using Truespace 2 (a free copy I downloaded off the net from their website). After about a year of random tinkering, I got to the point where I could make something worth looking at; my first "good" renders are still in my photobucket album (Morning Star Free Trader). That took IIRC about 50-60 hours to do. With practice and better tools (although you're using Lightwave, so no problem there), I could probably rebuild it in max in an afternoon, textures included, if I had too, and it would look a whole lot better.

The point is (apologies, I tend to wander a bit), keep at it. It's not always easy, but there are tons of resources and help out on the net if you look. There are several free software packages out there that can get the rest of you started, as well as tons of free textures, models, etc.

Here's some to get get you started -
Truespace 7 and Video courses, all free.

25 FREE 3d modeling programs, including Blender

Renderosity, which has a bazillion freebies

Daz3D, the free sister to Poser - and works with most Poser content

Jesse Degraff's Sulieman Tutorial, which inspired me to start trying.

The more people there are producing stuff for Traveller, the more we all benefit.

Last edited by navanod; November 11th, 2010 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Forgot Jesse Degraffs' tutorial.
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM

nats Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
It's an earlier Flash Gordon Earth ship.
Do you know that ship was used as the basis for the Victor aeroplane design. One of the nicest plane designs ever - and British!!
Old November 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 1
carlparl Citizen

Hello, all! I think this thread is terrific. I'm actually taking a break from doing 3D modeling in Hexagon to have dinner, and was catching up here while I ate.

I've built the Type-S scout in the past, but the interior vs. exterior issue stumped me. Right now I'm working on the Free Trader (the one from the old Judge's Guild Starships & Spacecraft). It's been a long haul for me, but things are coming along nicely, and a few tasks that used to stump me are going very well.

As for free 3D stuff, check out sharecg.com. It's a repository of a lot of free items. At some point my modeling will be good enough for me to put something up there. For now, I'm barely willing to publicly post renders of what I've done.

At any rate, I'd love to discuss more of this. Building 3D models of Traveller ships is near the top of my list of what I want to accomplish with that hobby!