Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Random Static > Non-Traveller Gaming

Non-Traveller Gaming A forum specifically for discussing those other games we like to play.

Old July 25th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+
Default The Expanse RPG

To follow up with Aramis' post about TFT, I stumbled across another Kickstarter for The Expanse RPG. Licensed from Mr Corey and his Books. No links, but this also should be easy to search for as well. They have a quickstart guide which I'm reading through now.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the Traveller history:http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old July 25th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 0
Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

Green Ronin is doing it. They do nice work.
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202
Old August 7th, 2018, 08:31 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

msprager Citizen
Default Expanse RPG

The funding for the Kickstarter project for the Expanse RPG has gone very well, and they have met almost all of their stretch goals. I have downloaded the Quickstart rules and I'm looking forward to getting the core rule book and the various adventures that are being developed.

I have really enjoyed the books and the TV series. These game rules, based upon the time frame between Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War look like they will capture the feel of the series.
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog

I ran the Quick Start adventure for a group of six players. It's a really great module!

I love the diversity of the characters (PCs and NPCs) and the complexity of the relationships in the factions on Ganymede Station. The adventure is set up kind of linearly, but they give you advice for how to handle it in a more sandbox fashion.

My group of players took things totally "out of order," but it all worked out great.

Also, they ended up pulling off a man-in-the-middle attack on a bank computer to convince a mob boss that she'd been paid her portion of the money; none of that was in the written adventure.

I ended up not really using any of the stunts in the game, as we had enough to deal with.

Traveller players will find the game fairly familiar. Instead of 2d6+stat+skill vs. target, it's 3d6+stat+skill bonus vs. target (where skill bonus is either +0 if you don't have the talent, or +2 if you do, like D&D 5e's proficiency bonus). Also, one of the 3d6 is a different color, and that's your Drama Die, which gets used in certain skill challenges ("if you succeed, add your drama die to the success pool, and if you can get the success pool to 10, you win the challenge").
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Old August 18th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Baron

Visit Kilgs's Blog
Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+Kilgs Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dray View Post

Traveller players will find the game fairly familiar. Instead of 2d6+stat+skill vs. target, it's 3d6+stat+skill bonus vs. target (where skill bonus is either +0 if you don't have the talent, or +2 if you do, like D&D 5e's proficiency bonus). Also, one of the 3d6 is a different color, and that's your Drama Die, which gets used in certain skill challenges ("if you succeed, add your drama die to the success pool, and if you can get the success pool to 10, you win the challenge").
Ugh. That's similar to the Fragged Empire mechanic. The only thing wrong with that game. I do love the Expanse though...
Old August 18th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I have been sitting on the fence over this one, classes and levels, yuk. Metacurrency, double yuk.

But I have watched the youtube interview, read the Q&A and finally one of the kickstarter updates has an example of ship combat.

So I backed it.
Old August 20th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog

Play the free quickstart rules, if you're not sure. Only way to know is to try it.
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112