Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old October 5th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

This is really unfortunate, clearly there is a market for this sort of product and I would have liked to buy in, but something just made me not do it.

People who want to build businesses work hard to deliver and discuss frankly with both customers and suppliers, and do not promise without being able to deliver, or take losses rather then fail either.
Old October 5th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Mako Citizen

Yea, I can't blame you.

I wanted to buy some other Traveller ships as well, but not until this debacle gets solved, assuming it ever does.

Allegedly, a lot of other promises on other projects for Traveller, like the Kickstarters, Pencil Dice, Metal Spaceship minis, etc., etc. haven't been fulfilled either. Supposedly, Ken's had at least six Kickstarters up and running recently, which combined, appear to have netted close to $180,000, so we're talking some serious cash here.

Ken allegedly has a 20 year or so history of disappointing people, apparently, based upon the many posts I've run across since doing a bit more research.

Quite frankly, given all the issues around this, I'm surprised Marc Miller hasn't weighed in yet on the subject, but perhaps he's unaware of the scale, and number of problems with Ken, and his "projects".

I suspect Ken Whitman has a license to produce the spaceships from Marc, so I imagine he could suspend, or cancel that, and/or encourage Ken, on behalf of all the customers who he's allegedly taken advantage of, to make good on his word, and that of D20 Entertainment, before it has a significant negative impact on the Traveller brand.

Hopefully, someone that knows him will see this, and pass the message along to both Marc Miller, and Ken Whitman.
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I suspect Ken Whitman has a license to produce the spaceships from Marc, so I imagine he could suspend, or cancel that, and/or encourage Ken, on behalf of all the customers who he's allegedly taken advantage of, to make good on his word, and that of D20 Entertainment, before it has a significant negative impact on the Traveller brand.

Hopefully, someone that knows him will see this, and pass the message along to both Marc Miller, and Ken Whitman.
Marc Miller is aware.
The rights/actions of License Grantors and License Holders is way above my pay grade and a matter for lawyers to answer. (and I am not a lawyer)
... but Aramis has posted that Marc is aware.
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:44 PM

Mako Citizen

Thank you for the update, atpollard.

I hope that his "awareness" will result in some actions taken in order to urge Ken Whitman and D20 Entertainment to fulfill promises made to the customers who backed the various Kickstarter projects to the alleged tune of $180,000+, not counting the various sales of Limited Edition Resin, and Unpainted Traveller Spaceships.

I suspect if anyone can encourage him to do so, it will be the license-holder for the Traveller brand.
Old October 5th, 2015, 09:56 PM

Location: 9,000-ft Colorado Rockies (Think Cool, Thin, Low Pop)
Gallery : 9
Visit Hovtej's Blog
Hovtej Citizen

This might be of interest to those backers in the State of Washington. Hopefully other states will follow suit (in all senses of the word)!
http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/11/931...-playing-cards

Duke [Dikaash; Imp. Core (Raami); 3rd Imp. (Shushaka)]
Count (Spin: Vilis, Roup)
Marquis of the Imp. Core (Core: Shirg, Sagaku)
Baron of the 3rd Imp. (Spin: Dinomn)

Sir John Lambert, Knight (Core: Shirg)
LtCol CO 4th Bn 4518 Lift Inf Reg
SEH (Battle of Alell) x2
MCG (Assault on Menorb)
Knight of Deneb (Spin: Vilis, Roup, Marastan; Reft: Mukiud)
Knight of the 3rd Imp. (Spin: Pyramus)
Knight of the Solomani Rim (Solo: Rith)

TAS: Shirg; Foote
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:45 AM

madmike Citizen

For me, living in Australia I am afraid a Paypal dispute may be the only recourse I currently have.

Clement Sector Setting
Ships of Clement Sector Series
Clement Sector: The Rules (CE based)
Wendy's Fleet Guides (For CE)
Hub Federation Navy (Updated for CE)
Hub Federation Ground Forces (Updated for CE)
21 Vehicles
Anderson and Felix Guide to Naval Architecture 2e
Optional Components

Ship Books
A2L Far Trader
Type A Free Trader
Type S Scout/Courier
Polixenes Class Courier (CE)

Spaceship Design Guide (CE)
Old October 6th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 5
Garnfellow Citizen+Garnfellow Citizen+

I know of a least two other instances in which good IP holders licensed properties to bad third parties for questionable Kickerstarter projects. And in both cases the owners of the IP had very little leverage to induce the Kickstarters to deliver on the goods.

Frog God Games, for example, licensed monsters from their Tome of Horrors to a miniature maker. In the other case, Jolly Blackburn licensed his Knight of the Dinner Table to one Ken Whitman. Both projects have been disasters.

Marc is probably in a similar situation.
Old October 6th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

zemjw Citizen

Mako - I have emailed paypal asking them if there's anything they can do, despite it being way past 180 days (now over eight months).

I'm not holding out much hope, but I'll report back what they say.

Given the problems that people are having here, could Ken be stopped from making commercial posts until the mess is sorted out? It seems strange that the forum is full of people complaining about not having got their ships while he's still able to post encouraging people to buy them.
Old October 6th, 2015, 10:02 PM

Mako Citizen

I wish you luck with that.

Given all the other stuff I'm uncovering, I suspect I'm going to have to go that same route as well.

I think Paypal should cut him off from receiving new funds personally, or through D20 Entertainment.

I read on another site that apparently Kickstarter has banned Ken Whitman and D20 Entertainment from creating any new funding ventures with them, due to all the other unfulfilled projects, and upset customers.

I would hope the moderators here would keep him from posting any new "offers" for goods, or Kickstarter-like projects until he fulfills the others, and provides the products for his direct sales from D20 Entertainment to people as well, now that they are aware of the issue.

It is the right thing to do.

A shame to hear there may not be a termination clause with Marc Miller, and the Traveller brand.

I hope that information is incorrect, and/or that more people that are aware of this situation will help spread the word, so others don't lose money as well, in future schemes.
Old October 7th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

vargr1 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemjw View Post
Mako - I have emailed paypal asking them if there's anything they can do, despite it being way past 180 days (now over eight months).

I'm not holding out much hope, but I'll report back what they say.

Given the problems that people are having here, could Ken be stopped from making commercial posts until the mess is sorted out? It seems strange that the forum is full of people complaining about not having got their ships while he's still able to post encouraging people to buy them.

That would be nice.

I, also, paid Mr. Whitman a year ago for the three ships. Paypal does not seem like they will respond.

However, having gotten no response from my emails to sales@d20entertainment.com nor kenwhitman@kenwhitman.com, I messaged him on Facebook yesterday.

Sometime today, he blocked me. Make of that what you will.