Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 20th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 71
DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
"How much are we talking about for the lab and advanced base, and how much space are they going to take up in my hold? Though if they do take up a reasonable amount of space I suppose we could recoup the costs by making them available (for a reasonable price) to folks on some worlds who don't have access to such things - are you willing to take on such a project? I can't have the space taken up for hobbies; it has to at least pay for itself somehow."

"If that condition can be met then I'll meet your wage requirements and you can go pick out your quarters and arrange for the gear you need."
'Wow, those look better than they smell. Thanks.' Doc takes one and slides his cup over for some more coffee.

Between nibbles of the Bear Claw, '6 by 6 if I remember correctly, or about 6 tons each. And it's not for a hobby, it's for making me look really good as a doctor.'

'People always get sick, and you can not carry all the medicine you need to fix them. I was going to buy a Lab anyway if I set up practice, I just hadn't worked out all the details of where to put it.'

'We are talking roughly 200KCr in purchases, along with me fixing up the sickbay, robots and helping out with the cargo handling and flying the ship's boat.'

Taking a good sip of coffee, nodding his thanks to Max, then another bite of Bear Claw, 'Let's say we Jump into a system that just has had a Reaver attack. A ship, highport or outpost has wounded and damage. The Reavers are gone, but the damage and wounded are now a problem. Because we are a ship, we go and try to round up the survivors on the damaged ship or ships. '

'Where are you going to put them, if their ship can not sustain them?'
'Where am I going to put those who need critical care and sterile environment?'
'And what medicines will we need or be short of?'

'With the base, I can house 8 individuals and keep them in quarantine if needed. And with the lab, I can figure out what ails them and if we do not have the right medicine, be able to create it.'

'What if we come upon a planet that has a plague, we now have wasted time and money to get there and we can not land. With the lab and base, we could set up shop, and try to fix them up.'

'Sure the cost of doing what I said is high, but we can charge them part or all of the cost, cause if they are alive, we can do business.'

'And do not forget that if we save someone, they most likely will be wanting to pay that back down the road, specially since they or their loved ones get to live another day.'

Finishing off the Bear Claw and his second cup of coffee, 'You tell me Captain, how many ships out there trying to do what you are attempting can do that?'
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 5
Visit sabredog's Blog
sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+sabredog Citizen+

"Fair enough, you make a good case and see a lot of advantages to the good will angle. I'll ok the space in the hold, but I don't have 200k Cr. for the gear - I take it you have that covered too?"

tc++ ru ge+ !3i c+@ jt au ls pi+ he+
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Absent Friend

DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
"Fair enough, you make a good case and see a lot of advantages to the good will angle. I'll ok the space in the hold, but I don't have 200k Cr. for the gear - I take it you have that covered too?"
Smiling broadly, 'And now you understand why I want the shares, the officer position and the good pay.'

'I got it covered and some. Like I said, I was considering opening up my own practice anyway, and those do not come cheap.'
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:04 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

"Then welcome aboard, Doc, you'll get 4750/ month and three shares. That will bring you into the officer's wardroom so to speak as Chief Medical Officer and Cargo Chief. Don't write any checks the ship can't cash with regards to either and we'll get along fine."

(OOC -- I assume the ref approves the lab and base being added to the cargo hold? Now where do we put them - are they both going to stay sealed when exposed to vacuum and have airlocks?

And do we want them linked to one of the valves in the hold leading directly to the upper deck, or stand-alone?)

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Absent Friend

DaveChase Citizen

Quote:
"Then welcome aboard, Doc, you'll get 4750/ month and three shares. That will bring you into the officer's wardroom so to speak as Chief Medical Officer and Cargo Chief. Don't write any checks the ship can't cash with regards to either and we'll get along fine."

(OOC -- I assume the ref approves the lab and base being added to the cargo hold? Now where do we put them - are they both going to stay sealed when exposed to vacuum and have airlocks?

And do we want them linked to one of the valves in the hold leading directly to the upper deck, or stand-alone?)
OOC, yes, and I have given the referee a good location for them in the main hold. Also, yes, they have airlocks.
No, I do not think that they should be connected to any of the entry ways.
Let's leave them alone, except when needed. Some of the Lab equipment is in the sickbay (only a small portion) and Doc has some brewing apparatuses in his room. Well there is a small distillery set up in the lab for making high proof medical alcohol, (I mean EverClear).

'Sounds good, I will need a week to get all the supplies bought and loaded on to the ship. By the way, what kind of alcohol and flavors do you like? I will start up a batch before we take off.'

'Also, do you mind if I have a young lady stay with me while we are planetside? She will be gone before we take off. She will be helping me clean the rooms and my selfish desires for a few days.'
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Visit sabredog's Blog

"No, that's fine so long as you keep her out the restricted areas. Enjoy I suppose."

"Oh, single malts are generally to my taste if you can swing that - otherwise just make it strong and palatable."

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:09 AM
Absent Friend

DaveChase Citizen

Over the next week, Doc Freeman spends the first few days, making purchases and cleaning his room. Later in the week with the help of an attractive lady, he is cleaning sickbay, setting up both his quarters and the two modules that are delivered.

On the 3rd or 4th day as Max is available they both go over the bots and make a list of things that they both think they will need in parts and software to get the bots up and running over time.

OOC: Of my remaining 20KCr;
I will spend 1,000 creds on paying the young lady for her cleaning and time.
5KCr on bot parts and software mainly for the medical ones.
5KCr on his quarters getting fixed up, Not brand new items but if what is there is bad, he will hit up the local Ship surplus store for better.
4KCr will be spent on some special hidden (known only to the Captain, Max and Doc) spaces in Doc's quarters to store some of the drugs purchased. Doc does not like having all the drugs in one basket and does not like not having some drugs available close at hand in case he can not get to sickbay.
1,000 creds on personal items, like 10 sets of colored contact lenses (he does not need them to see, but he wants to hide his green eyes once in a while when needed). Some specialty small medical pouches that he can carry on him, a Duster and new sunglasses, along with 3 pair of good outdoor working boots that are very durable, and some new cloths (everyday kind of things).
2KCr on extra brewing yeast, malt, fresh apples, apricots (if available), barley, etc , Labels pre-printed with Freeman Beer, Freeman Hard Cider, Freeman's Best and Freeman's Vingear (each will have space for putting the date and additional information like favor or such on it)
1,000 creds on some small grav plates that will fit under the brewing equipment so that sudden movements of the ship or the loss of gravity will not suddenly make a big mess of fermenting liquid all over the place. (I am assuming that the medicine cabinets have a way to keep the various medicines from getting knocked about or spilled, probably not grav plates but something.)
And keep the remaining 1000 credits in what ever passes as a safe way to keep and carry in this universe.)

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Absent Friend

DaveChase Citizen

OOC, things that Doc will be doing during the 4 months from hire to present;
In order of priority

Cleaning and fixing sickbay
Cleaning and fixing the medical bots
Cleaning and fixing the ship bots
Brewing Hard Cider once a week
Brewing other alcohol once a month
Playing cards with whom ever is willing to play (Doc has plenty of decks, chips and various card games)
Taking care of any sick or medical exams that need be done.
Loading, unloading and arranging the cargo purchased/sold
Anything else that he can do that the Captain or Max needs help with.

Sickbay fixing 4 months, 4 rolls; 5, 9, 6, 8
Medical bots 4 months, 4 rolls; 7, 4 10, 7
Ship bots 4 months, 4 rolls; 8, 7, 12, 9
Brewing Hard Cider, 12 rolls; 8, 5, 7, 3, 9, 8, 7, 6, 7, 4, 9, 11
Brewing other 4 rolls; 7, 9, 6, 10
Failed Cider brewing rolls makes Apple vinegar which can be used or sold
Brews 3 gal of cider at a time
Brews 5 gal of other at a time (or about 52 bottles of beer/wine per batch)
(First 2 other brew are beer, last 2 wine)

Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Absent Friend

DaveChase Citizen

During the first 2 months of being aboard the ship, Doc will have discussions with the Captain and Max over how they should promote Doc's available services.

Doc suggests that they start out just passing the time chatting with other ships in port, and mentioning that they (our ship) has a certified Doctor that can do physical examinations. Not sure what the going rate should be in Traveller for these

As they get into port with each stop, they need to start building up a library data base of what planets in the area have what kind of medical services available, along with any laws about an out of system doctor.

Also, possibly consider as part of the standard download to authorities that the ship transmits as we approach in system that a certified Doctor is part of the crew and can make some of his services (abilities) available.

By the time the game starts We should have a standard procedure on how or if Doc's services are promoted. Doc can see at some ports that we may not want to make it widely known due to law/certification requirements or possibly due to the amount of requests that the ship may have for Doc's services if the ship is doing a quick in and out stop.

Your thoughts or suggestions on this
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM

Gallery : 1
Visit Fritz_Brown's Blog
Fritz_Brown has disabled reputation

[OOC contribution: Why would the annual maintenance requirements (in the OTU) not also include medical exams for the crew? I'm not sure what the full medical for commercial pilots entails (cost-wise) nowadays, but it could account for a small portion of the annual maintenance costs.]
Closed Thread