Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Administration > TAS News Feed

TAS News Feed Traveller related news and information. Anyone may post new Traveller related news, but all new threads are moderated for approval before being displayed.

Old February 6th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
agorski Citizen+agorski Citizen+
Default Adventure Class Ships for iOS now available in the iTunes App Store

Here ya go...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adve...0945?ls=1&mt=8

My 7th iOS app for Traveller is now available for iPad and iPhone. It's a complete implementation of the ship design rules of Traveller5. Thanks to all here who contributed to the 5.09 errata and forum posts that made this possible.

Any limitations or problems you find are hopefully the fault of the rules and not my coding but I would be happy to have any comments.

The only 'poetic license' I took was due to rules vagueness related to consoles. I don't count the tonnage of a console but require the console to be installed in a compartment that you define (like the Bridge which is otherwise missing from the rules) for which the tonnage is counted.

Likewise, crew organization is completely user defined and not calculated in the rules. So I've given you the ability to create Departments and add crew entries to them. Departments can also have Divisions assigned which have their own crew entries. Hopefully this gives you enough flexibility to do what you want.

It's been fun working on this and I hope those who have an iOS device will find it fun and useful.
Old February 10th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
hiro Citizen

Art

Picked this up this morning, thanks for taking the time to write the app and thanks for making it iPhone as well as iPad compatible.

Old February 11th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

AnotherDilbert Citizen+AnotherDilbert Citizen+

I'm not familiar with T5 ShipMaker, but I have some questions...

Drives: Stage: A Basic or Generic stage is listed as 90% effective, but only appears to be 81% effective, e.g. a Generic B drive only has performance 2 in a 162 Dt hull, not a 180 Dt hull. The same applies to Stage Modified (efficiency = 1.1 = 1.21).

Drives: Stages: A M-Drive B, Modified, costs MCr 4, yet according to the table on p326 it should cost MCr 3 (cost unaffected by the rounding of the drive size from 1.5 to 2 Dt).

Stage: Stage Modified not listed as Cost /2, yet it is.

Fuel: we could use some support to calculate how much fuel we need in the fuel allocation screen.

Sensors: All sensor and commo seems to default to Ultimate stage, which makes most of them illegal at lower TL. It seems counterintuitive. Why not default them to Standard stage, at least at lower TL?

Sensor: Stage: A Communicator (Deep Space) costs MCr 1, stage Generic costs MCr 0.5, stage Modified costs MCr 1? According to the tables on p354 and p357 it should cost MCr 0.5, if I understand it correctly?

Weapons (& Sensors): No easy overview of available and used hardpoints. No protest if too many weapons are added.

Weapons: A 240 Dt hull is listed as having 2 hardpoints and 2 firmpoints available, yet I do not seem to be able to add weapons to firmpoints? I should be able to substitute 3 firmpoints for each hardpoint?

Weapons: No mixed turrets, apart from a SLM combo?

Weapons: Stage and Range effect should stack?
Standard Single beam turret: Cost 0.2 + 0.5 = MCr 0.7.
Basic Single beam turret: Cost 0.2 + 0.5 / 2 = MCr 0.45.
Modif Single beam turret: Cost 0.2 + 0.5 / 2 = MCr 0.45? (Calculated as MCr 0.7)
Basic OR Single beam turret: Cost 0.2 + 0.5 / 2 3 = MCr 0.95? (Calculated as MCr 0.85)

Weapons: If Space Range Effects (p301) increase the size of the mount, then it should increase the cost of the mount?
Basic OR Single beam turret: Cost ( 0.2 + 0.5 / 2 ) 3 = MCr 1.35? (Calculated as MCr 0.85)

Weapons: Stage Modifies cost / 2? Seems to be cost 1?

Weapons: A triple turret should include three weapons?
Std VD T1: cost = 0.2 + 0.5 = MCr 0.7
Std VD T2: cost = 0.5 + 2 0.5 = MCr 1.5?
Std VD T3: cost = 1.0 + 3 0.5 = MCr 2.5?

Screens: If Range effects increase the size of the mount, then it should increase the cost of the mount?

Personnel & Acc: I have no idea how much staff the ship needs. Some calculated guidelines would be helpful.

Personnel: Adding Crew one by one is extremely cumbersome, a wizard to default crew and department assignments would be extremely time-saving.

Accommodation: Seeing current Ship Comfort calculated while adding accommodations would be very helpful.

Computer & Control: How much computer and how many control panels does the ship need? Can a ship do J-2 with a m/0 computer?

Computer: Stage Modified cost / 2?

Consoles: Stage Modified cost / 2?

Consoles: Adding Consoles one by one is extremely cumbersome, a wizard to default Consoles and control panel assignments would be extremely time-saving.

Consoles: Seeing current Ship Ergonomics calculated while adding Consoles would be helpful.

SUGGESTED FUNCTIONAL EXTENSIONS

It would be very nice if we could input a drive potential (and stage), and have the program determine the correct drive for the current size of the ship. That way we could change the ship size to compare cost or fit all desired components.

It would be very nice if we could input the desired fuel capacity in weeks and jump capacity, instead of in tons, for the same reason.

It would be very nice if the crew size with accommodations and controls could be defaulted. Even if we change it would be nice to see a nice starting figure.

It would be nice if we could have an option to default fill hardpoints with, say, laser turrets, again to see how the design scales.

It would be nice to see an overview of the operating cost and earning potential of a merchant vessel, to see if it might be profitable.
Old February 11th, 2018, 05:11 PM

Wow, lots of comments/questions. I'll try to answer some of them off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDilbert View Post
Stage: Stage Modified not listed as Cost /2, yet it is.
Stage Modified is Cost x1 according to the errata.

Quote:
Weapons (& Sensors): No easy overview of available and used hardpoints. No protest if too many weapons are added.
On an iPad you can see the available hardpoints and firmpoints on a hull in the detailed view of hulls.

Quote:
Weapons: A 240 Dt hull is listed as having 2 hardpoints and 2 firmpoints available, yet I do not seem to be able to add weapons to firmpoints? I should be able to substitute 3 firmpoints for each hardpoint?
When you edit a hull there is a slider to convert hardpoints to firmpoints. When you edit a weapon/sensor/defense and it is under 1 ton total, then you can move it to a firmpoint with a button.

Quote:
Weapons: No mixed turrets, apart from a SLM combo?
That's what's in the rules.

Quote:
Weapons: Stage Modifies cost / 2? Seems to be cost 1?
Errata.

Quote:
Weapons: A triple turret should include three weapons?
Std VD T1: cost = 0.2 + 0.5 = MCr 0.7
Std VD T2: cost = 0.5 + 2 0.5 = MCr 1.5?
Std VD T3: cost = 1.0 + 3 0.5 = MCr 2.5?
It's implicit in the mount.

Quote:
Personnel & Acc: I have no idea how much staff the ship needs. Some calculated guidelines would be helpful.
There are none unlike High Guard and Book 2.

Quote:
Personnel: Adding Crew one by one is extremely cumbersome, a wizard to default crew and department assignments would be extremely time-saving.
No defaults defined in the rules.

Quote:
Accommodation: Seeing current Ship Comfort calculated while adding accommodations would be very helpful.
On an iPad you can see this change in the Accommodations detailed view when you add accommodations.

Quote:
Computer & Control: How much computer and how many control panels does the ship need? Can a ship do J-2 with a m/0 computer?
Not defined in the rules.

Quote:
Computer: Stage Modified cost / 2?

Consoles: Stage Modified cost / 2?
Errata.

Quote:
Consoles: Adding Consoles one by one is extremely cumbersome, a wizard to default Consoles and control panel assignments would be extremely time-saving.
I can't predict what you want to do.

Quote:
Consoles: Seeing current Ship Ergonomics calculated while adding Consoles would be helpful.
On an iPad, it's in the detailed view.

Quote:
It would be very nice if the crew size with accommodations and controls could be defaulted. Even if we change it would be nice to see a nice starting figure.
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agorski View Post
Errata.
Sorry, I missed the errata...

Quote:
When you edit a hull there is a slider to convert hardpoints to firmpoints. When you edit a weapon/sensor/defense and it is under 1 ton total, then you can move it to a firmpoint with a button.
Thanks, now I see it.

Quote:
Quote:
On an iPad, it's in the detailed view.
Sorry, I can't find it. I see Comfort in the Accommodation view, but no Ergonomics either in Accommodations or Controls

Quote:
Quote:
Computer & Control: How much computer and how many (control panels) consoles does the ship need?
Quote:
Starship Controls on p306 implies some standards?
Each Control Paned should be assigned to a Console that should be crewed and connected to a Computer?
Selecting Staffing Level and Dangerous to get default crew?

Comfort: I believe it is calculated on crew stateroom and common area, no all accommodation options, such as Emergency Capsules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T5.09, p310
Q= Crew Quarters Tons. Total tons allocated to crew accommodations (which includes both common areas and staterooms).
Comfort: Wouldn't it be easier to ask for a desired Comfort, and have the app add Common Areas as needed, as specified under "Designing for Crew Comfort" on p310. The same goes for Demand and Ergonomics.

Comfort: Rounding; While not stated I would use the principle stated in some examples: "Round against advantage (up for tonnage; down for potential)."
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Passenger Accommodation: If I add a Steerage area with some steerage bunks, common areas, and freshers then the freshers and common areas count towards Passenger Demand, which is probably wrong?

Compartments: Max size 40 Dt, not enough. p317. Sub-compartments?

Compartments: This isn't Compartments as defined in the rules (p317)? Rename it?

Control: Each Console should have a calculated C+S modifier depending on Computer assignment and connected Control Panels? (p306)

Hull: Configuration "Airframe" should include "Landing Wheels". p290, errata p12.

Hull: Armor: Anti-layers gives an extra AV compared to no specified anti-capacity, e.g. a standard TL12 plate layer gives AV=12 and a standard plate anti-rad layer gives AV=24, which is probably wrong: It should be AV=12 for both alternatives? (Anti-Layer table, p293)

Hull: Armor: Layers must be the same type (presumably Hull Structure+Stage), but can have different anti-capacities (p293). Not enforced. Should only be selected once, not per layer.

Weapons: It would be helpful if we could specify quantity for each type of mount. It is much easier to add two identical turrets than to add two individual turrets and keep them synchronised.

Fuel: Where do I specify Centralised vs. Decentralised power? Affects PP fuel consumption.
Old February 12th, 2018, 12:02 PM

Sensor & Commo: Range does not modify cost of devices for surface mount. OK, that is probably a bug in the rules.

Control: Size of Consoles not deducted from available space.

Drives: An M-drive at TL-11 is limited to 5G. Making it stage Generic(TL+1) it is now limited to 7G as TL-12. I suspect that is wrong, at TL-11 only a base TL-10 drive can be Generic so the drive limit should be 3G as per TL-10? (p294)
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Compartments: Max size 40 Dt, not enough. p317. Sub-compartments?
The reason I limited this to 40 tons is that it gets too difficult to adjust the slider for tonnage, which I used to make it easier than typing a tonnage in. I figure it's no big deal to have 2 40ton cargo holds instead of an 80 ton hold. Calculates out the same.
Quote:
Hull: Armor: Layers must be the same type (presumably Hull Structure+Stage), but can have different anti-capacities (p293). Not enforced. Should only be selected once, not per layer.
Type refers to Hull Structure, not Stage. This is enforced.
Quote:
Fuel: Where do I specify Centralised vs. Decentralised power? Affects PP fuel consumption.
Sensors, Consoles, Computers, etc. have a selection that defaults to Centralized Power. There are no rules for calculating fuel consumption on these so this is purely chrome.
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Control: Size of Consoles not deducted from available space.
Yes, I did this on purpose. See my note on this in the first post in this thread.

I also leave it up to the user to ensure that you're not overloading a compartment with too many consoles.
Old February 12th, 2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sensors, Consoles, Computers, etc. have a selection that defaults to Centralized Power. There are no rules for calculating fuel consumption on these so this is purely chrome.
p297, footnote to the Fuel table:
Quote:
** Decentralized power; if centralized, fuel use x2.
p382:
Quote:
If the ship is on centralized power (no local Fusion Plus modules) this requirement is doubled.
Apparently the decentralised power plants and fuel consumption is free...

On the other hand:
p297:
Quote:
Tons = P x H / 100 for 1 month**
p382:
Quote:
A Fusion Power Plant requires tons of fuel equal to Power Plant Potential times Hull tonnage divided by 100 to support one year (12 months) of normal operations.
I have started to read the T5 rules, my head hurts...