Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old August 1st, 2018, 03:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Gallery : 0
AlegisDownport Citizen
Default Cepheus Engine Fantasy Rules

I have been looking at converting my series of ‘The Fantasy Traveller’ articles which were aimed at using the Classic Traveller rule set in a ‘fantasy’ (non-science fiction / Conan-esq) world, to the Cepheus Engine system.

The first of these articles have just been posted on my blog here:

https://alegisdownport.wordpress.com...basic-chargen/

The basic premise is to provide a rules set with the minimum of changes from what is published, keeping it as ‘simple’ as possible (ie. no rules ‘bloat’) and only add in rules components where there isn’t already something in place eg. Magic.

I’ll be adding to the series over the coming months with the intention of expanding the system in the same way that I did for The Fantasy Traveller.

I hope you enjoy reading!

Cheers
Steve
Twitter - @alegisdownport
Old August 1st, 2018, 07:09 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Jame Citizen

I made a number of careers for MgT; if you'd like to look at them I could send 'em to you (and if you decide to use them we could discuss details).

I helped Golan with his bestiary, and would love to see more fantasy Traveller stuff done.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old August 2nd, 2018, 02:35 AM

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

So do the mechanics define what is possible in that world and within games in the setting, or will you modify the rules to generate the "feeling" of that place you want players to have in your setting?

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old August 2nd, 2018, 02:07 PM

AlegisDownport Citizen

Hi Jame

Thanks for the kind offer; my intention for expanding ‘The Fantasy Traveller’ into Cepheus Engine rules is to use non-copyrighted material (ie. free to use or with permission) and try and make up as much stuff of my own as possible.

I’d don’t intend publishing (or license) anything that will be chargeable (it makes using published materials simpler as I don’t want to unintentionally infringe on any copyright), it will be freely available via my blog in the same way that TFT is. However if you would like to contribute any ideas on that basis, I’m more than happy to hear them, even if its just a couple of sentences of ideas.

Hope that sounds ok with you and thanks for the comments about TFT, I will be doing more on that series in the future!

Best wishes
Steve
Old August 2nd, 2018, 02:18 PM

AlegisDownport Citizen

Hi Ulsyus

Good question, I think it’s a bit of both; I’ll try and answer in two parts:

Because I like to keep things simple, I’m using the existing CE rules and ‘chop out’ what doesn’t fit into the fantasy environment, ie. remove any mention of sci-fi/high technology, so some careers get dropped. Whatever is available within the CE rules that fits in on that basis, that is what is available. For example, anything that is considered equivalent TL to mediaeval of lower, but no gunpowder or guns or higher-tech than that

The second part of your question about modifying the rules; I’ve had to create rules to ‘fill in’ something that doesn’t exist in ‘The Fantasy Traveller’, such as magic so I came up with the ‘magic’ system as obviously that doesn’t exist in CT. So I would apply the same method for CE and adapt what ‘feeling’ I have already come up with in TFT and fit it to suit CE. To a certain degree it is also driven by the ‘world’ as I imagine it, a sort of brutal Conan-esq environment.

I hope that answers your questions,

Best wishes
Steve
Old August 2nd, 2018, 06:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen

If I may make a suggestion ...

Take a look at the DND 3.5 SRD and Pathfinder SRD, both are under the OGL 1.0 license, and are full of beasts, classes, spells, ect. Plenty of inspiration there although it's a different die mechanic.

D&D 3.5 SRD
Pathfinder SRD

Of course, you may already know about these, just had to put it out there ;D
Old August 2nd, 2018, 08:42 PM

Jame Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlegisDownport View Post
Hi Jame

Thanks for the kind offer; my intention for expanding ‘The Fantasy Traveller’ into Cepheus Engine rules is to use non-copyrighted material (ie. free to use or with permission) and try and make up as much stuff of my own as possible.

I’d don’t intend publishing (or license) anything that will be chargeable (it makes using published materials simpler as I don’t want to unintentionally infringe on any copyright), it will be freely available via my blog in the same way that TFT is. However if you would like to contribute any ideas on that basis, I’m more than happy to hear them, even if its just a couple of sentences of ideas.

Hope that sounds ok with you and thanks for the comments about TFT, I will be doing more on that series in the future!

Best wishes
Steve
I will check something and get back to you.
Member #5, Bring Back T5 in LBBs.

"Unfortunately, the Publishers regret that they can enter into no correspondence on this matter. If the Publishers are involved in any correspondence, they shall trace and revoke your mail priveleges."

Baron Damaascaa Towns, Kiikigulii, 1735 Sakhag/Antares
Old August 3rd, 2018, 09:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

rhialto Citizen

Have you looked at Zozer Games' "Fast Magic" for CE? It's all Open Content, might be useful for this project.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old August 9th, 2018, 02:47 PM

AlegisDownport Citizen

Thanks for the replies everyone, I’ll reply individually if I may:

Gray Lensman - I didn’t know about the D&D and Pathfinder SRDs being available on the OGL 1.0 license to be honest. I don’t tend to touch modern D&D / variants, nothing against them I’d just never had the inclination to take a look. However on your suggestion I will definitely check those out - thanks!

Jame - thats fine - cheers!

Rhialto - hadn’t come across that from Zozer, I will most certainly take a look, much appreciated!

Steve
Old August 9th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Marquis

Visit Adam Dray's Blog
Adam Dray Citizen+Adam Dray Citizen+

There's a third-party Traveller product that has a planet that is basically "fantasy" with magic and stuff. It was for MgT1, IIRC, but it should port nicely to CE.

Anyone remember which setting that was? I was thinking it was Twilight Sector, but now I think it wasn't.
Marquis Smoug/Lunion 1729
Marquis Rech/Lanth 2112
Baron/ess Rech/Lanth 2112
Knight of Deneb Junidy/Aramis 3202