Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old August 9th, 2018, 10:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dray View Post
There's a third-party Traveller product that has a planet that is basically "fantasy" with magic and stuff. It was for MgT1, IIRC, but it should port nicely to CE.

Anyone remember which setting that was? I was thinking it was Twilight Sector, but now I think it wasn't.
Netherell. The "magic" was psionics of course.

From what I remember, Mongoose had this thing where products had to stay within a setting, so thus despite Netherell being essentially a fantasy setting, it had to be placed, and thus explained, within the Twilight Sector ATU.
Old August 10th, 2018, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
If I may make a suggestion ...

Take a look at the DND 3.5 SRD and Pathfinder SRD, both are under the OGL 1.0 license, and are full of beasts, classes, spells, ect. Plenty of inspiration there although it's a different die mechanic.

D&D 3.5 SRD
Pathfinder SRD

Of course, you may already know about these, just had to put it out there ;D
They're readily compatible with T20: Traveller's Handbook...
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:15 AM

rhialto Citizen

Quote:
There's a third-party Traveller product that has a planet that is basically "fantasy" with magic and stuff. It was for MgT1, IIRC, but it should port nicely to CE.

Anyone remember which setting that was? I was thinking it was Twilight Sector, but now I think it wasn't.
Aside from Netherell, there's Worlds Apart from XRP; also for MgT 1e though, not CE.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old August 12th, 2018, 05:58 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Nathan Brazil Citizen+Nathan Brazil Citizen+

Quote:

There were a few:
Strontium Dog
Worlds Apart
- A new scale for TL to expand TL0-4
Netherill, Planet of Magic (for Twilght Sector) - This one has good Medieval careers

Also a OGL general builder set of books was written.
They were written by Jason Kemp, one of the people who brought us Cepheus Engine in the first place:

Flynn's Guide to Magic in Traveller
Flynn's Guide to Alien Creation

With these two books you can pretty much make a fantasy world "Monster Manual" and "Magic System/SpellBook". The are mostly OGL, so much so the "alien traits" in Creation are direct lifts from the 3.5 SRD creature traits and Feats. (Stalwart Movement and Darkvision/Infravision anyone?). The spells listed likewise...

I don't agree with the mechanics/numeric bonuses in some cases, but just adjust those systematically to your taste.

There also just came out a Cepheus Engine book on archaic weapons and armor and another on a magic system. Much shorter than Flynn's but I like more detail...
Old August 12th, 2018, 09:53 PM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

T5's Beastmaker is pretty ubiquitous in allowing for the design of some pretty out-there creatures. Perfect if one wanted to follow Alegis' path.

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old August 15th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

I need to start working on some magic rules for Cepheus as well. I do like the magic in the original little tan D&D books as well as that in Middle-Earth Roleplaying and Rolemaster. The idea of being proficient in certain types of magic, like Fire, Water, Cold, and Air appeals to my sense of logic. Against that, the idea of wildly different areas of expertise appeals to my sense of being a bit crazy.
Do you have a security clearance? New Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

I've only just seen this book, Fast Magic, done for the Cepheus Engine. It could be what people are looking for...

Tiberius Claudius Nero Caesar

Old August 30th, 2018, 02:41 AM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizentimerover51 Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
I've only just seen this book, Fast Magic, done for the Cepheus Engine. It could be what people are looking for...
Paul's stuff is generally of excellent quality. I will need to check it out.
Do you have a security clearance? New Blog Post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old August 30th, 2018, 06:22 AM

rhialto Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsyus View Post
It is quite good, and the mechanical aspects are easily separated from the fluff; e.g., one could easily replace all the default schools/colleges/specializations with one's own.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old September 6th, 2018, 07:45 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

I bought the Fast Magic book from DriveThruRPG along with a couple of Paul's other books, and I have mixed feelings about his idea. Having no basic spell list or lists sounds good in theory, as then the magic-user can make up what he wants on the spot, sort of like Harold Shea in the Fletcher Pratt books. However, if the player first needs to think about what they want to do, then needs to confer with the Game Master as to all of the details, that is going to have the affect of drastically slowing the game down. As for making potions, writing spells. and enchanting items, those are all going to need to be done in advance of the game, which means that the magic-user and Game Master are going to have to agree in advance as to what can and cannot be done. The system in not bad, but implementing it is going to have some problems, unless a fair amount of work is done in advance.