Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Traveller: The New Era

Traveller: The New Era Discussion on Traveller: The New Era

Old October 16th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Citizen: SOC-5

Gallery : 0
Villien Citizen
I was working at my 'puter the other day, and a thought struck me. After picking myself off of the floor and wiping that thought-residue from the side of my head, I was able to piece together what had hit me.

With TNE, ship computers have been broken up into 3 "safe" dumb computers. Ok, that's fine for the Regency, who survived Virus and found a countermeasure.

What about the older ships out there? They would not have the tricomputer design, and would have the older model computers running the works.

How do I design starships in the TNE method (BL) but with the older computers? Mass? Energy usage? Cost? Volume?

I love designing ships, and yet, this threw me off, and made me pause.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old October 16th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

TheDS Citizen
AFAIK Traveller has always used triple main computers, so no change is required.

What TNE does is it seperates the interfaces so that when one system needs to talk to others (like sensors needs to hand off a task to weapons) they use a manual means. No additional volume, but could take more time. It also allows players to perform tasks.

Now this extra step is only present in the TNE universe, but FFS was written such that it allowed just about any setting you wanted, and so computers were not grown to reflect whatever these new interfaces might look like, nor was the task system changed for it. FFS2 has some computer control percentage somewhere; you can specify the level of automation in the ship, but I think all that does is affect the crew requirements and perhaps the cost.
Old October 16th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-5

Villien Citizen
Thanks, that makes sense to me. The size and mass and energy requirement for the 3 is the same as if it were 1.

So I should not worry about Model # and such?
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
MJD has disabled reputation
The Vilani never trusted technology 100%. They lived on a world where Ancient warbots chased each other about. So they were always a little bit more careful about systems integrastion than the rest of the Imperium. Ships built in traditional Vilani yards would have cutouts built in and relatrively easy to implement. Standard-Imperial designs were more integrated and MUCH harder to covert to seperate use...
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Erik Boielle Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by MJD:
The Vilani never trusted technology 100%. They lived on a world where Ancient warbots chased each other about. So they were always a little bit more careful about systems integrastion than the rest of the Imperium. Ships built in traditional Vilani yards would have cutouts built in and relatrively easy to implement. Standard-Imperial designs were more integrated and MUCH harder to covert to seperate use...
I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry I can't help myself but I am a virus partisan and like I liked its unstoppable force of nature thing.

Consider it a practice question for when dealing with those uppity fans.

Cause obviously I wouldn't be negative.

So you've got Strephon gutting his fleets fire control systems over a report he read (no wonder he can't win) and the Vilani gutting theirs over something that happened in their childhood (no wonder they couldn't beat the terrans).

Its raining and hes an antique dealer, so its natural that he has a trenchcoat and four katanas.

And besides, none of that would slow virus down.

Ifn I was writing it naturally.

Really, I don't mean anything by it.

Frothing Viking Fanboy In Residence
Old October 17th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

TheDS Citizen
Was *ANY* of that supposed to make sense to *ANYONE*, Erik?
Old October 17th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Erik Boielle Citizen
Maybe I can translate.

The first part is an apology for being about to say something like

'But Thats Not Canon!'

and for being about to be negative.

Both are almost unforgivable crimes against humanity, I think you'll agree.

Then I go on to complain about the vilani getting partial virus immunity from a traditional practice of not having monolithic computer systems run their ships, and tangentially touch on Strephon getting PVI from knowing about Virus from his days as Emperor and Taking Steps.

By saying that Obviously the steps necesscary would be far to radical to implement over stories told by parents to scare their children.

But thats really a weak argument.

Yasee, its not actually that I find these concepts offensive in and of themselves, but because I Liked Virus, and don't like that these things move it away from being an unstoppable force of nature that you can only survive by either waiting for it to burn itself out or by burning down every ship that you come in to contact with before it sends you a hail.

But things change, and I'm sure its for the best.

So I guess I'll just have to hug my copy of PoT and rock until the pain goes away, as I'm sure it will.

And hey, I don't care that much, I just liked the Vikings.

The bit about Katanas doens't entirely work, but I assure you I was trying to be rude.

Frothing Viking Fanboy In Residence
Old October 18th, 2003, 04:37 AM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
Can anyone point me to a canon reference that says 'the Vilani used computer systems that were as integrated as everyone else'?

Remember their early history and the fact that they're super-traditional.

I half-expect that when Virus hit the Vilani were saying 'told you so'.

As to the rest, well, after the early rants I tend to more or less ignore Erik. Strephon must have been incompetent because Erik dislikes aristocrats. Not good enough, give me a real reason.

Nobody can be Virus resistant because Erik likes Virus? Not good enough. Give me a real reaosn and I'll listen.
Old October 18th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen
There is a reference which may be relevant in DGP's Vilani & Vargr(is it still considered part of canon ).
It mentions that many technological devices, including starship drives, are opperated as "black boxes". The techs and engineers don't understand how the insides work.
In order to make repairs integrated expert computer systems diagnose and give the procedures necessary to carry out repairs [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] .
Old October 18th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Baronet

Visit MJD's Blog
Ah yes. Vilani computer field repair kits - a big envelope for mailing it back to the factory...

It's not a big leap from black-boxes to semi-compartmentalizing computers. Given that hackers will strike from time to time and the Vilani aren't great computer/techy people, it makes sense to have physcial cutouts just in case.