Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Interstellar Scout Service

Imperial Interstellar Scout Service Details of the worlds of the Imperium (and beyond).

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
eclipse Citizen
The 100 ton Scout/Courier is, according to rumor on the TML, soon to be subjec of a short writeup. We've already started going off about the air filters. Any other quirks of the ships that you like or like to inflict on players?

------------------
Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:12 AM

Gallery : 4
Antony Citizen
Well IMTU the air-filter issue was limited to the Suleiman class of type S (and the variants based on this hull) Other classes would have their own quirks. Noting that the type S specification (Type Spec -S100B-F to be specific) can be filled from TL11 onwards.

For example IMTU the TL13 Sirocco class scout had a chin mounted turret with a propensity for jamming and the lighting on the flight deck constantly flickered. Though as it was used as a PC ship this may have had something to do with it.

Then their was the TL11 Shannon class which came out a little overweight so that its landing gear had a habit of distorting causing retraction problems.
Old May 22nd, 2002, 03:50 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

PVernon Citizen
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Antony:
Well IMTU the air-filter issue was limited to the Suleiman class of type S (and the variants based on this hull) Other classes would have their own quirks. Noting that the type S specification (Type Spec -S100B-F to be specific) can be filled from TL11 onwards.

For example IMTU the TL13 Sirocco class scout had a chin mounted turret with a propensity for jamming and the lighting on the flight deck constantly flickered. Though as it was used as a PC ship this may have had something to do with it.

Then their was the TL11 Shannon class which came out a little overweight so that its landing gear had a habit of distorting causing retraction problems.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh I like. Did you do a Type S for each of the Tech levels?
Peter V.
Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:42 AM

Gallery : 4
Antony Citizen
Wink

Yes I did do a version at each tech level. Though these are done with FFS1 which not everyone likes.
The Tech 11 version I posted on my site at www.users.bigpond.com/Skaran in the craft section (Here it is called Sidhe class).

If people are interested I can try and dig out the other versions and post them.
Old June 13th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

autochthonic Citizen
Send a message via ICQ to autochthonic Send a message via AIM to autochthonic
Arrow

(imtu);

The avionics can't be repaired in-flight without a mirror on a stick and special screwdrivers (consider it a cross between an Mac Classic and a VW engine). Continuing the Macintosh metaphor, the computer does not use the standard OS that runs on navy and civilian ships and civilian software is unavailable or 10% more expensive.

Crew over 5'6" can get nasty head injuries leaving the ship in a hurry. Although the Scout can nominally carry 4 crew, don't expect the fresher to cope with the increased load, it's only really designed for singleships. The autokitchen can support the full crew but the food tends to be bland.

There is a trace chemical required by Droyne which is not made by the autokitchen, if Droyne are on board they should make their own arrangements for food.

The cargo area is always too cold. The bridge is always too hot.

Detatched duty characters who upgrade their ships might get a nasty shock when they next visit a Scout depot - remember that the IISS still owns the ship, and they require standard parts. Addons may be removed, the ship can even be taken away or exchanged for a standard issue. Characters may be fined and are subject to IISS disciplinary procedures. Good contacts with the Bureacracy or maintenance staff can avoid these problems.

..and a neat trick - the Scout/Courier can be landed on its tail, nose up. this is difficult and not recommended.
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:05 PM

eclipse Citizen
Several good plot hooks (or things to keep players busy) in this thread. Thanks!

I'm leaning more toward the theory that the detached Scouts get the Type S scouts at the aft end of their service life. That's why that often have so many quirks and minor malfunctions.
Ya, they fly, and jump fairly well. The water recycling system may not work right ("This stuff smells like tree moss!"), or the grav plates in the cargo hold might not be 100% reliable ("What was that bouncing then crashing noise?") or three years of soap opera vids are locked in the main computer memory, requiring a complete wipe and refit to remove.
Old July 26th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Citizen: SOC-9

Bishop Citizen
In the Type S Scout, the Air smells bad, the water tastes like rust, everything is covered in a thin coat of grim, the newest parts are 20 years old, but almost everything works after you kick it, twice. The only sure thing is that if you give anything a good cleaning, it will cease to function.

Thomas
Old July 26th, 2002, 06:12 PM

Rodina Citizen
One thing I'd do is have an occasional Type S ship that was utterly devoid of flaws. Perfect air filtration, clean water, fresh paint. It cause suspicion and it was good for bar chatter, because everyone who was a scout or who knew a scout would talk about it.

"Well I don't like it," the old man hadn't moved since we walked into the bar an hour before. We figured he was the town's drunk, but the whole bar stopped as he pushed his glass away and started to speak. "I don't like it at all. When I was a young punk like all of you, I requisited the prettiest Type S ever to touch vacuum. The girls came by so often to see her that I spent my time outside, shinning her up to a mirror finish and never spent five minutes checking the drive coils. The crew of that ship's not to be trusted and if you don't want to spend six weeks in misjump like I did, I'd keep your distance."
Old September 5th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Citizen: SOC-10

KrasnyKot Citizen
IMTU only the LSP produced Suliemans of old have problems with their air filters. The newer ones have THAT problem removed. But as anybody can guess these are not what my detached duty scout PCs can put their greedy fingers on.
And after all, why should I deliberately build a clunky craft for the PCs when they do the job just fine with some fumbled rolls?
Just after a dozen or so jumps and planetfalls their new and shiny Scout had a salvaged, only vaguely fitting forward landing gear and a repainted underbelly. And the best is it wasn't my fault.
Old September 5th, 2002, 04:53 PM

PVernon Citizen
I have just done a set of "corrected deck plans" for the Serpent Class Scout. It has no lounge space.
Peter V.

Peter Vernon