Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Imperial Research Station

Imperial Research Station A forum for discussing technology and related topics for use in the Traveller Universe

Old February 24th, 2020, 08:23 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Commander Truestar Citizen
Default How do you think "Angry Birds" from 'The Mandaloran" would exist in Traveller?

Hi,

So, I don't know if you've seen the Star Wars spin off series, but it involves those who escaped Mandalor(sp?) before the Empire hit it. So, they still have their armor and all their wonderful little toys...

Because of that, I knew it would happen and it did.
One of my players asked if she could get the weapon system "Whistling Birds" for her armor?

to the best I can describe them, they are 3 or 4 cm long 5 or 6 mm thick micro-missiles which can be fired from a "top of the wrist" based launcher. They apparently are capable of acquiring a target and tracking it to a small extent (from what was shown in the episode)

So, they have thrust and maneuvering as a sensor package and tracking brain along with a (presumably shaped charge) warhead capable of piercing armor.

Any thoughts would be welcomed
(this message is not a reflection on the name Marc but acts as a wide acting "Over Reaction prevention disclaimer in the event you are rushing, uncertain or have not read my post and realized I am not "THE" Marc")
- I am 'A' Marc and I approved this message
Old February 25th, 2020, 01:09 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

In MgT1, there is a wrist mounted micro-missile launcher, kinda matches the description you gave exactly,

So, I'd guess the chances are 1 in 1?

:-D

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old February 25th, 2020, 03:43 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Just be thankful your players haven't read any of Iain M. Bank's Culture novels or they may want knife missiles (think Yondu's mind controlled arrow/missile in the GotG films but with its own dumb AI control system)...
Old February 25th, 2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryton View Post
In MgT1, there is a wrist mounted micro-missile launcher, kinda matches the description you gave exactly
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Just be thankful your players haven't read any of Iain M. Bank's Culture novels or they may want knife missiles (think Yondu's mind controlled arrow/missile in the GotG films but with its own dumb AI control system)...
LOL,
I offer to "TRY" to accommodate them where I can, and I have done "on the fly" design in under 5 min during play...

But I think that specific toy would more than unbalance the game
(this message is not a reflection on the name Marc but acts as a wide acting "Over Reaction prevention disclaimer in the event you are rushing, uncertain or have not read my post and realized I am not "THE" Marc")
Old February 28th, 2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
In MgT1, there is a wrist mounted micro-missile launcher, kinda matches the description you gave exactly
Hi Cryton,

You mentioned "MgT1", did you mean the Imperial Encyclopedia?

Thank you,
Marc Grossman
Old February 28th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

MgT1 means Mongoose Traveller 1st edition

MT - MegaTraveller
MgT - Mongoose Traveller
Old February 28th, 2020, 03:36 PM
Vice Administrator

Gallery : 1
Visit Cryton's Blog
Cryton has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Cryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Truestar View Post
Hi Cryton,

You mentioned "MgT1", did you mean the Imperial Encyclopedia?

Thank you,
Marc Grossman
No, I meant Mongoose Traveller 1st Edition.

The specific product is the Central Supply Catalog for that edition of the game.

Richard Ricker, Baron of the 3I since 2010 Duke since 2016
Baron of Spirelle
Spin 1927 Spirelle C766846-8
Duke of D'Artur
Dagu 0924 D'Artur AAE7443-E
Old February 28th, 2020, 10:13 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

We have smart ammunition, the actual trick is getting them to lock on their targets and manoeuvre in that confined space.
Old February 29th, 2020, 04:00 PM

Straybow Citizen

Well, I don't think we'll genetically engineer rocket-enhanced exploding birds. Oh, wait, you mean the "whistling birds."

Like many things in SW, they were really too small. Too small for self propelled missiles, too small for an armor piercing charge. The show had them moving at only a few m/s and probably only effective in close quarters, so maybe that aspect is plausible. At least one seemed to seek for the neck, bypassing the armor, also plausible at a tech with better AI than we can manage. That would also minimize the amount of explosive needed for a lethal wound. One small charge to punch the head through the ballistic cloth, one small charge to tear the aorta or jugular open, or rupture the larynx.

The armpit is also a possible target, but less lethal. Or less rapid in effect. Impaired breathing from a punctured lung will take most of the fight out of the target until passing out. If the penetration went more toward the shoulder, opening the brachial artery will bleed out, and the target will be unconscious in less than a minute. Panic may take them out of action before then. The concussion might stun the heart, which would be a near-instant take down. A really cool customer might get off a shot before collapsing.

Likewise for the groin, where the femoral artery is the main vulnerability, and crippling damage to the hip is the secondary knock-out effect.

There would probably be expensive armor with superior joint protection materials that might better resist the penetration.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!
Old February 29th, 2020, 04:10 PM

Straybow Citizen

Quote:
In MgT1, there is a wrist mounted micro-missile launcher, kinda matches the description you gave exactly,
Meh, I don't have MgT but I'm guessing that would require the wielder to aim or somehow designate a target with a maneuvering cone dependent on the direction it is pointed.

It's a bit like the old gyrojet concept. It can't be a hugely powerful rocket or it would burn the shooter. It could be just large enough to kill the lightly armored with shrapnel. Basically more of a grenade than a missile.
Han shot first, and per parsec pricing is RAW!