Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old March 24th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 7
Diveguy Citizen+Diveguy Citizen+
Default Commission/Promotion "Dumbing Down"

So, as part of looking at original LBB character career progressions, and then comparing them to modern interpretations (Mongoose/Cepheus/Whatever) - I've noticed a definite trend to "Dumbing down" the advancement requirements. Also, again, I'm looking at JUST LBB style characters, as opposed to Mercenary/High Guard/Whatever.

For example - LBB-1 a Marine needs a 9 unmodified for both Commission and Promotion; in Cepheus Engine they need a 6 and a 7.

LBB-1 Navy needs a 10 and an 8; CE it becomes a 7 and a 6.

Now, I've always bemoaned the military rank progression in Traveller anyway - the tendency to end up with Colonels and Admirals going on adventures alongside Dukes, all for a pittance of credits that they should rightfully be paying minions to handle. But, that's a separate issue.

At least with the "Original" you had characters more or less struggling to make rank. If you've got an unmodified roll that people are going to make 50% of the time, even without stats adjusting things, then the odds of those "new" PCs being rank 5/6 grows dramatically.

Am I the only one frustrated by this? Wanting a better balance of rank/progression systems, without totally limiting the characters? And yes, I realize several of the rewrites include enlisted rank structures as well, but that doesn't totally address the problem.

Shershe DAGU 2728 C540874-8
Ulaun ZARU 0405 C667153-A
TAS Ulaun
SEH
Old March 25th, 2019, 08:40 AM

Gallery : 0
rhialto Citizen

I hadn't noticed, but thanks for the insight: as a recent fan of Cepheus Light (and it's editable version) I am in the process of making what changes I can to bring it even closer to '77 CT. I much prefer the tougher qualifying throws too, but have also dispensed with any automatic skills for said ranks.
Jack Vance, Rhialto the Marvellous
Old March 25th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveguy View Post
So, as part of looking at original LBB character career progressions, and then comparing them to modern interpretations (Mongoose/Cepheus/Whatever) - I've noticed a definite trend to "Dumbing down" the advancement requirements. Also, again, I'm looking at JUST LBB style characters, as opposed to Mercenary/High Guard/Whatever.

For example - LBB-1 a Marine needs a 9 unmodified for both Commission and Promotion; in Cepheus Engine they need a 6 and a 7.

Am I the only one frustrated by this? Wanting a better balance of rank/progression systems, without totally limiting the characters? And yes, I realize several of the rewrites include enlisted rank structures as well, but that doesn't totally address the problem.
In the Real World, rank takes a lot longer to get than in Traveller. Figure that it should take two terms to make Captain, and at least three for Major, and a minimum of 4 for Lt. Colonel. If you have not reached Major in 4 terms, you are out. If you have not reached Lt. Colonel in 5 terms, you are out. As far as I am concerned, General should not be in the mix at all. I am working on Cepheus Engine, but had not got to that yet.

Quote:
Now, I've always bemoaned the military rank progression in Traveller anyway - the tendency to end up with Colonels and Admirals going on adventures alongside Dukes, all for a pittance of credits that they should rightfully be paying minions to handle. But, that's a separate issue. At least with the "Original" you had characters more or less struggling to make rank. If you've got an unmodified roll that people are going to make 50% of the time, even without stats adjusting things, then the odds of those "new" PCs being rank 5/6 grows dramatically.
Careful about commenting on the higher ups going on adventures. That can raise some hackles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old March 25th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Knight

Fovean Citizen+Fovean Citizen+

How about something like this:

Commission: Very Diff (DM-4)

Promotion
Ranks 1,2: Difficult (DM-2)
Ranks 3,4: Very Difficult (DM-4)
Ranks 5,6: Formidable (DM-6)

Target numbers stay RAW, apply the task difficulty and any PC/event DMs and that should smooth things out a bit.
Old March 25th, 2019, 05:56 PM

Gallery : 43
Visit atpollard's Blog
atpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesomeatpollard Awesome

Commission should be more closely tied to education.

How many Officers are there with NO college education, yet the Military recruits on campus with a guaranteed commission.

How many NCOs are there with a Master's Degree?

Is EDU likely to become more important or less important when dealing with advanced technology?

Promotion should be an increasing difficulty roll.
Old March 25th, 2019, 07:32 PM

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Just one example that I think illustrates some of what's been said above:

My Dad was a sophomore in college (Agriculture) when he got drafted into the U.S. Army for Korea in 1952. After Basic and Advanced (Artillery) he got picked for NCO School, then OCS, then Flight School, then Rotary Wing School, and by then of course the Korean War was over so they sent him back to college to finish his bachelor's degree.

Commission of course came at conclusion of OCS, with rank 2nd Lt.

Promotion-wise I know he was already a 1st Lt by the time he got sent back to college, and a Captain a couple years later when I was born. The next year he went to fly Huey gunships in Vietnam and came back a Major. Three years later another Vietnam tour and came back a LTC. Three years at the Pentagon, got to choose his dream command out West where he could start looking for land and building his cattle herd in prep for retirement. Total service 24 years = 6 terms.

No Mustering Out; not sure where all that comes from.

Oh yeah, stats.
Enlistment: A99A54 : Age 19; Poor farmboy athlete
Retirement: 987AA8 : Age 43; Rancher w Master's Degree

Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention the year in Leavenworth...
Spoiler:
Dad always liked to say that, then wait a beat for people's reaction (civilians) before explaining that's where Command College is located: Fort Leavenworth, KS.

Imperial Core Update: In other news, Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi is... still alive.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night

Last edited by SpaceBadger; March 25th, 2019 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Leavenworth
Old March 25th, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
In the Real World, rank takes a lot longer to get than in Traveller. Figure that it should take two terms to make Captain, and at least three for Major, and a minimum of 4 for Lt. Colonel. If you have not reached Major in 4 terms, you are out. If you have not reached Lt. Colonel in 5 terms, you are out. As far as I am concerned, General should not be in the mix at all. I am working on Cepheus Engine, but had not got to that yet.

Careful about commenting on the higher ups going on adventures. That can raise some hackles.
Your times are a little off for the Army/Marines these days - from both my experience in service, and checks on data trends. Figure Captain at end of 1st term, and Major by end of 2nd. Your upper limits are correct. I do agree on Flag officers really shouldn't even be a PC option.

TAS Ulaun
SEH
Old March 25th, 2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fovean View Post
How about something like this:

Commission: Very Diff (DM-4)

Promotion
Ranks 1,2: Difficult (DM-2)
Ranks 3,4: Very Difficult (DM-4)
Ranks 5,6: Formidable (DM-6)

Target numbers stay RAW, apply the task difficulty and any PC/event DMs and that should smooth things out a bit.
Hmmm. This gives me food for thought. Though I'd want to include enlisted ranks as well, but also with a step easier for each range.... I'll have to consider.

TAS Ulaun
SEH
Old March 26th, 2019, 07:01 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diveguy View Post

Now, I've always bemoaned the military rank progression in Traveller anyway - the tendency to end up with Colonels and Admirals going on adventures alongside Dukes, all for a pittance of credits that they should rightfully be paying minions to handle. But, that's a separate issue.

At least with the "Original" you had characters more or less struggling to make rank. If you've got an unmodified roll that people are going to make 50% of the time, even without stats adjusting things, then the odds of those "new" PCs being rank 5/6 grows dramatically.

Some points here:

I haven't read CE ,but in MgT the comisiˇn roll is 8+, so not so far from CT basic Chargen.

IMHO, the true "Dumbing Sown" of commssion, at least for Army and Marines cam with CT:LBB4 (forgive me to take it to bear, as you speciifed you don't use it, but I find it relevant).

In CT:LBB4, the possibility for a marine with EDU 8+ to reach the OCS (and so commissioning) each year is 1/9, so it has a fair probability to be commissioned in the first term. For the Army, I guess this possibility even lowers his chance to be commissioned in the first term over basic CharGen.

Curiously, this is not so true for Navy Characters in CT:LBB5, unless they can attain the Academy or the College...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 27th, 2019, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpollard View Post
Commission should be more closely tied to education.

How many Officers are there with NO college education, yet the Military recruits on campus with a guaranteed commission.

How many NCOs are there with a Master's Degree?

Is EDU likely to become more important or less important when dealing with advanced technology?

Promotion should be an increasing difficulty roll.
Go back to the 1950's or before, and many officers had no college education. Only had to have a degree for a full commission, not a reserve commission (which is what most O1-O3 officers have). OCS was the usual route.

Even into the 1960's... my mother's degrees all post date her active duty time, but she was a LT in the WAC via OCS. (If she's stayed a WAF, she'd likely have been sent to OCS there, instead...)

The 2015 demographics for the US are online: http://download.militaryonesource.mi...ics-Report.pdf

Under 84% of commissioned officers currently held a 4-year degree
7.5% of EM held a 4 year degree.
8.4% of EM don't even have a HS Diploma
1% of EM have advanced degrees. I suspect most are SNCOs...
No HSD nor GED: 0.2% of EM.

in 2015, there were 20 officers who didn't have a HSD nor GED. OFFICERS!
6.5% of Active Duty officers lack a 4 year degree. (I suspect a good number are nurses with ASN/AN's)

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu▒ dt▒ f+ fs++ ge▒ ih- inf▒ j▒ jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.