Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old March 17th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 0
DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome
Default Gunnery skill in Space Combat (probable errata)

McPerth posted this question quite a while back, and it fell between the cracks.

Quote:
In MT RM (p 95) says: 'Gunnery skill (turret/bay, spinal or screens) may be used in place of computer DM or weapon table DM on the to hit and defensive tasks'.

Following this, some questions arise:

- So, if you have gunnery 4 and are on a ship with computer 1, you can use 4 as computer DM. If you're on a ship with computer 6, difference between a gunner with gunnery 0 and one with gunnery 6 is null.

- If your character with gunnery skill 1 is firing a factor 3 missile battery against a repulsor 5 equipped ship, can you use your skill 1 in place of the repulsor table DM (-6)? It seems me quite a powerful use of the skill...

- If your character with skill 3 fires a factor 5 meson bay against a meson screen 4 equipped ship whose operator has skill 5, what's the DM? +3 (firer's skill)? -4 (table's DM)? -5 (defender’s skill)?, -2 (firer's skill - defender’s skill)? (after all, it's a confrontation task, but in this case, even having a defender more skilled than the firers, it's easier to penetrate it). Also, in this last case, having a factor T meson spinal or having a factor 5 meson bay makes no difference on its ability to penetrate screens...
Seems overpowered to me... thoughts?

Moderator of the ct-starships mailing list
Official Traveller Errata Collector (CT/MT/TNE/T4/T20/MGT/T5)
Official Archivist of Digest Group Publications
T5 Forum Hall Monitor and FFE Minion
Old March 17th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

travlar Citizen

Well, part of the problem is simply that realistically, it's hard to have gunnery skill matter much. You could try adding the gunnery skill as an additional DM, but then you'd need to have another to counter it. (The defender's pilot's pilot skill?) Replacing the penetration DM is obviously not good, but maybe they mean the DM to hit from the weapon's factor? That might work, although it makes gunnery skill unimportant for ships with good computers and powerful batteries.
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

I can agree that with good computers most of the weapon firing in starships would be mainly by computer work, but that would make Gunnery skill nearly useless, and, frankly, as skills are the greatest asset characters have, I hate useless skills. In this sense, you could as well put an untrained guy to work your turret in your free trader, and he will do as good as one with turret gunnery skill 1 (I guess he wouldn't use its skill -4 instead of the computer modifier).

Even so, if you pitch your untrained gunner (so -4, or raising difficult level by one grade), with a single missile turret (factor 2) in a computer 6 equiped ship against a ship equiped with a repulsor 6 equiped ship, it would be worth to use your -4 skill instead of the -8 DM in the table, as rules are written. I guess we all agree this is not the spirit of the rules...

I guess Aramis has resumed all this in another thread about other aspects of MT starship combat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
Love the game, hate the editing.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Absent Friend

DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome

Ok, if that sensor thread answers your question, I'll close out the Gunnery skill issue.

Old March 19th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

No, it doesn't answer my question, only that I see the same problem Aramis said there, bad editing.

Anyway, I guess some way to use the skill should be defined, as the way it's written in the rules gives way to much abuse (as told above) or to usefulness of the skill.

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Absent Friend

My preference would be to first remove the problem, and then after a discussion come up with a better rule. But first, we should all agree on the problem and what needs to be removed.

Old March 20th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
My preference would be to first remove the problem, and then after a discussion come up with a better rule. But first, we should all agree on the problem and what needs to be removed.
The whole chapter is a problem... But that particular rule really isn't, tho' it probably should be (Int+Gunnery) or Computer.

After all, most gunners will be int 7, gunner 1, and be outclassed by a Model 2... the battery PO's are likely to be Gunnery 2 and int 10... and outclassed by the Model 4. The gunnery chiefs are usually going to be in the skill 4 range, and outclassed by the Model 6...

And most military ships carry Model 7+ computers.

The Gunnery skill isn't useless, tho'. It's also used for maintenance and repair tasks. Hence why those guys actually have the skill in the first place.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:36 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
The whole chapter is a problem... But that particular rule really isn't, tho' it probably should be (Int+Gunnery) or Computer.
I agree the whole chapter is a problem. As you will remember, I asked also about the general use of skills in space combat, as I also see Ship's Tactics use as abusive, given the size of the crews, Pilot use as problematic, etc... But I guess that's for other threads

Quote:
After all, most gunners will be int 7, gunner 1, and be outclassed by a Model 2... the battery PO's are likely to be Gunnery 2 and int 10... and outclassed by the Model 4. The gunnery chiefs are usually going to be in the skill 4 range, and outclassed by the Model 6...
As I see the rule Gunnery skill (turret/bay, spinal or screens) may be used in place of computer DM or weapon table DM on the to hit and defensive tasks, I always understood it as Gunnery skill, not modifier, so I never featured int modifier into it. I guess that's a matter of interpretation.

As you say, its use in place of computer DM is not problematic, though, as it's plain and clear, if your computer is superior, let it do the work.

The main problem is when its used Gunnery skill (turret/bay, spinal or screens) may be used in place of (...)or weapon table DM on the to hit and defensive tasks. Here, moslty on the latter part (defensive tasks) is where I see the main problem, as points 2 and 3 of the quote DonM gives us in its initial post show.

Quote:
The Gunnery skill isn't useless, tho'. It's also used for maintenance and repair tasks. Hence why those guys actually have the skill in the first place.
While I see logic in what you say here, I don't see that reflected in the rules:

PM page35:

Gunnery is a specific naval skill in the operation and use of one of the several types of starship armament.

I see no reference here to maintenance and repair. As skills are described, this will be handled by mechanics (non energy weapons, so missiles and sancasters) or electronics (lasers and energy weapons). As I read it, nowhere says those uses of Mechanic or Electronics are limited to personal weapons, so I understand it also referes to vehicle/starship weaponry

Last edited by McPerth; February 19th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: typos
Old March 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

Use Gunnery in place of Computer DM, and dump the "or weapon table DM".

That way skilled gunners in PC type ships can have an affect on play, but it makes no difference to fleet actions.

Best regards,

Ewan
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Peter Newman Citizen

Of course smaller ships will usually have smaller computers, and ships computer capability can be degraded by combat (in most versions of the rules), so Gunnery skill will be more useful on smaller and combat damaged ships.

It seems to me that Gunnery skill models a reality in which Merchant ships need good gunners more than Naval ships do, because the Naval ships have such good computers.

It reminds me of how Thorby Baslim went from a firecontrolman on the merchant ship Sisu, to a gunnery crewman on the the Hegemonic Naval ship in Heinlein's 'Citizen of the Galaxy.'

http://books.google.com/books? id=wksN1qnkooAC&pg=PA196&lpg=PA196&dq=%22get+a+hit +with+that+junk%22&source=bl&ots=zx17CNEctU&sig=oG NjKn24P5QOZuRfdXGaXJEnyD8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DY9tT6enGM fjiALfoMSxBQ&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22get%20 a%20hit%20with%20that%20junk%22&f=false