Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old September 18th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
snrdg082102 Citizen+snrdg082102 Citizen+
Default MT: Robots 1 - Basic Hull Design Questions #2

Evening OjnoTheRed,

I'm not sure how Step 1-5 Open Vehicles works since I've only designed Space vessels in MT that seem to work. My efforts to reverse engineer published MT, actually all game systems, designs have not been very successful.

Are there any examples in the 100+ Robot Catalog that shows an example of using Step 1-5 Open Vehicle?
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 17
Visit OjnoTheRed's Blog
OjnoTheRed Citizen+OjnoTheRed Citizen+

No there are no examples of open vehicles in the robot spreadsheet, although it would be theoretically possible to have an open vehicle with a robot brain installed. For most human-sized robots designed for specific tasks, however, I would be interested to know the value in such a design feature.

Generate 1,000,001 characters for the Cepheus Engine rules.

Generate a World Map or Star System using the Traveller5 rules.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjnoTheRed View Post
No there are no examples of open vehicles in the robot spreadsheet, although it would be theoretically possible to have an open vehicle with a robot brain installed. For most human-sized robots designed for specific tasks, however, I would be interested to know the value in such a design feature.
Morning again OjnoTheRed,

I've had some time to ponder and concluded that anything below UCP 0.2 is not subject to the required calculations in Step 1-5. However, something > UCP 0.2 will need this step worked out.

There have been lots of items created that only had value to the designer, usually the value of see what I built.
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrdg082102 View Post
Morning again OjnoTheRed,

I've had some time to ponder and concluded that anything below UCP 0.2 is not subject to the required calculations in Step 1-5. However, something > UCP 0.2 will need this step worked out.

There have been lots of items created that only had value to the designer, usually the value of see what I built.
Steps 5 Open Vehile relates to Referee's Manual page 63.

If the craft is less than UCP 0.2 you can't put a spohant workstation/seat in it. They must ride outside the robot (i.e. sit on it).

If you don't have any sophant accomodations then the rule does not apply (i.e. if the robot doesn't carry anyone then don't bother with open).

Does that make sence?

Best regards,

Ewan
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Hello again Ewan, a.k.a. E.D.Quibell,

Oops, I forgot to say thanks for the reply in the other post so I will say thanks here for both. Sorry about that.

My understanding is that anything equal to or less than UCP 0.2 or a volume 2700 liters, I hope the volume is right, is considered an Open-topped vehicle by default. Anything greater than UCP 0.2 is considered to be enclosed and has the option to be open-topped. A design with an UCP greater than 0.2 capable of carrying an operator and passengers, by convention, can have the text of Open-top or Enclosed added to the description to help clarify the difference between models. An example would be the air/raft when a model has a version that is open to the environment or has external paneling enclosing the driver and passenger compartment.

The default is understood to be Open-top a design <= UCP 0.2 and for items > UCP 0.2 enclosed unless otherwise stated.

I am not sure if I cleared anything up with this post, but I had to try.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:30 PM

E.D.Quibell Citizen

Quote:
Hello again Ewan, a.k.a. E.D.Quibell,

Oops, I forgot to say thanks for the reply in the other post so I will say thanks here for both. Sorry about that.

My understanding is that anything equal to or less than UCP 0.2 or a volume 2700 liters, I hope the volume is right, is considered an Open-topped vehicle by default. Anything greater than UCP 0.2 is considered to be enclosed and has the option to be open-topped. A design with an UCP greater than 0.2 capable of carrying an operator and passengers, by convention, can have the text of Open-top or Enclosed added to the description to help clarify the difference between models. An example would be the air/raft when a model has a version that is open to the environment or has external paneling enclosing the driver and passenger compartment.

The default is understood to be Open-top a design <= UCP 0.2 and for items > UCP 0.2 enclosed unless otherwise stated.

I am not sure if I cleared anything up with this post, but I had to try.
That's it.

But with Robots you don't need an operator, so you don't need to account for the workstation, so you don't need to acomodate the workstation volume outside the volume of the craft. So you don't need to account for the 5 to 20% hull reduction unless you wish for some aspect of the craft to be open tooped (like an open toped cargo compartment).

Open topped is a sophant thing, with robots you can chose to ignore it (unless the robot carrys sohpants).

Does that make sense?

Best reards,

Ewan
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM

Hello again E.D.Quibell,

Yep makes sense. Of course the Robot <= UCP 0.2 would probably be using something like the piggy-back method to transport somebody.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:44 PM

E.D.Quibell Citizen

Quote:
Hello again E.D.Quibell,

Yep makes sense. Of course the Robot <= UCP 0.2 would probably be using something like the piggy-back method to transport somebody.
Yup. Or the robot could be a flat slab with the sophant lying on top, or a box with a couple of arms holding the sophant underneath, or any shape you like

Best regards,

Ewan
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.D.Quibell View Post
Yup. Or the robot could be a flat slab with the sophant lying on top, or a box with a couple of arms holding the sophant underneath, or any shape you like

Best regards,

Ewan

I just couldn't come up with all the other options. Being am old retired gray-haired old submarine sailor I'm not as fast as I used to be. ;-)

Have a good one