Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
Falkayn Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
What do you do when a player tries to invest their hard-won cash by working the starship purchasing and freight trading systems? Or the &#147Trading Without a Starship&#148 rules?

How easy do you find it to deal with players who become multi-billionaires?
Well I tend to gloss over that side of the game, usually the PCs are too busy to spend days or even months making investments and waiting for them to generate an income. If they do want to then I assign an arbitary/random percent growth, with nasty terms for withdrawals and then hit them with another adventure.

Realistically PCs don't become multi-billionares, and if they do then they get someone else to handle the minor financial details for them, after all they have next month's hunting expedition to organise ...
Falkayn<br /><b><a href=\"http://www.Falkayn.com\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn.com</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cafepress.com/falkayn\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn\'s Store</a></b><br />(Traveller inspired T-shirts!)

Falkayn Citizen
Quote:
What do you do when a player tries to invest their hard-won cash by working the starship purchasing and freight trading systems? Or the &#147Trading Without a Starship&#148 rules?

Well I tend to gloss over that side of the game, usually the PCs are too busy to spend days or even months making investments and waiting for them to generate an income. If they do want to then I assign an arbitary/random percent growth, with nasty terms for withdrawals and then hit them with another adventure.

Realistically PCs don't become multi-billionares, and if they do then they get someone else to handle the minor financial details for them, after all they have next month's hunting expedition to organise ...
Falkayn<br /><b><a href=\"http://www.Falkayn.com\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn.com</a></b><br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cafepress.com/falkayn\" target=\"_blank\">Falkayn\'s Store</a></b><br />(Traveller inspired T-shirts!)

Falkayn Citizen
Quote:

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 1
TheEngineer Citizen
Hi Rain !

Quote:
Jump Masking, in those systems where it occurs, shatters the economics of the tramp freighter system (which is not to say that I consider that system perfect, of course, but it is sort of embedded in the game). The extra hours spent travelling to and from jump point put a drag on earnings by reducing the total number of jumps that can be made per year.
I never regarded that as a problem.
Just think of a remote spaceport/trading post at the jump limit. Oversea ships dont anker at the local Safeway supermarket, too [img]smile.gif[/img]

He, he. Constantine really does not like economics (in Traveller)
Actually this topic allowed me to awake some more interest of my wife about this silly RPG stuff.

Regards,

Mert
- Dont use creativity to create problems -

TheEngineer Citizen
Hi Rain !

Quote:
Jump Masking, in those systems where it occurs, shatters the economics of the tramp freighter system (which is not to say that I consider that system perfect, of course, but it is sort of embedded in the game). The extra hours spent travelling to and from jump point put a drag on earnings by reducing the total number of jumps that can be made per year.
Just think of a remote spaceport/trading post at the jump limit. Oversea ships dont anker at the local Safeway supermarket, too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Actually this topic allowed me to awake some more interest of my wife about this silly RPG stuff.

Regards,

Mert

TheEngineer Citizen
Hi Rain !

Quote:

Regards,

Mert
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:43 AM

RainOfSteel Citizen
Ok, what are we going to name this outside the star's jump limit station?

Farport?

RainOfSteel Citizen

Farport?

RainOfSteel Citizen

Farport?
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Ancient - Absent Friend

Gallery : 18
Visit hunter's Blog
hunter Citizen
Quote:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Malenfant:
Oh. Economics? Pfffffft. I could care less about that . That's another thing I class as an axiom of the setting - the economics works because the setting says it does. I got better things to do with my time* than figure out how much taxes my PC has to pay or how much mortgage I have to pay off or what I have to pay to be profitable in an RPG. I'm happy to leave that stuff as armwaved away in the background.
Well, I guess that&#146s ok. I myself, admittedly, have tended to dismiss what I don't personally like among the rules, etc. But I usually replace them with something else.

</font>[/QUOTE]If you have a great Referee like Bruce and I did in our old campaigns you let them build corporations, indulge in even greater levels of research and development, corporate espionage, high risk business deals. A lot of it is meta-gaming but we also did our fair share of adventuring because of it. We had a blast figuring out what we wanted our characters and corporations to do and then gave those to the Ref and he ran it from there adding his own twists and kinks to events.

It all depends on how flexible you want to get with your campaigns and how well the Referee can deal with thinking out of the box.

I'd love to see a supplement on high level mixed-meta play for rich characters. Ideas on investing, building a corporations, expanding, takeovers, research and development, etc. Nothing on the complexity of Far Trader though.

For us it was the merchaning end of the game we loved. We played for the money! Corporate Mercenaries Are Us

Everyone likes something different!

Hunter
[b]Current Projects[/b][LIST][*][url=http://www.scifigaming.com]SciFi Gaming[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?cPath=129_7888]The SciFi20 Project[/url][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96742]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR][*][url=http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=96744]The SciFi20 Rules Bundle w/Screen[/url] [COLOR="red"][SIZE="1"][b]New![/b][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/LIST]