Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > MegaTraveller

MegaTraveller Discuss of the MegaTraveller ruleset and the Rebellion Milieu

Old October 26th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Malenfant:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
Jump Masking. Whoops. There's a whomping big load of trouble.
Jump masking itself is somewhat odd. It's based on radius, which in itself is an strange thing to base it on. Personally, I think the only way for it to work is to be based on local density of material. Even a the rarefied atmosphere of a distended supergiant is denser than a nebula or interplanetary space, which is why all stars have 100D limits and nebulae don't.

Other than that though, I can't see how this is necessarily a "whomping big load of trouble".
</font>[/QUOTE]Jump Masking, in those systems where it occurs, shatters the economics of the tramp freighter system (which is not to say that I consider that system perfect, of course, but it is sort of embedded in the game). The extra hours spent travelling to and from jump point put a drag on earnings by reducing the total number of jumps that can be made per year.

Over on StuffOnline: Jump Drives and Jump Limit, there&#146s a big discussion of the Tidal Model of gravity&#146s effects on Jump. It reduces the jump limit. That reduction yanks the jump mask of a great many stars back, freeing worlds for more direct access.

EDIT----------
But Jump Masking can&#146t simply be ignored. If a planet has a 100D limit, then so must a star.
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Malenfant

Gallery :
Oh. Economics? Pfffffft. I could care less about that . That's another thing I class as an axiom of the setting - the economics works because the setting says it does. I got better things to do with my time* than figure out how much taxes my PC has to pay or how much mortgage I have to pay off or what I have to pay to be profitable in an RPG. I'm happy to leave that stuff as armwaved away in the background.

IMTU, "Jump masking" is based on the mass of the object (well, actually on its gravitational field strength), not the radius. You can't jump from within a g-field of 0.01 m/s2.

(*: like get in pointless arguments on internet boards, or make fictional planets [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] )
Malenfant

Gallery :
Oh. Economics? Pfffffft. I could care less about that . That's another thing I class as an axiom of the setting - the economics works because the setting says it does. I got better things to do with my time* than figure out how much taxes my PC has to pay or how much mortgage I have to pay off or what I have to pay to be profitable in an RPG. I'm happy to leave that stuff as armwaved away in the background.

IMTU, "Jump masking" is based on the mass of the object (well, actually on its gravitational field strength), not the radius. You can't jump from within a g-field of 0.01 m/s2.

(*: like get in pointless arguments on internet boards, or make fictional planets [img]graemlins/file_23.gif[/img] )
Malenfant

Gallery :

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:06 AM

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
Well, I guess that&#146s ok. I myself, admittedly, have tended to dismiss what I don't personally like among the rules, etc. But I usually replace them with something else.

What do you do when a player tries to invest their hard-won cash by working the starship purchasing and freight trading systems? Or the &#147Trading Without a Starship&#148 rules?

How easy do you find it to deal with players who become multi-billionaires?

Quote:

You wouldn&#146t, by any chance, happen to have that written out in a referenceable table, would you?

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:
Well, I guess that&#146s ok. I myself, admittedly, have tended to dismiss what I don't personally like among the rules, etc. But I usually replace them with something else.

What do you do when a player tries to invest their hard-won cash by working the starship purchasing and freight trading systems? Or the &#147Trading Without a Starship&#148 rules?

Quote:

You wouldn&#146t, by any chance, happen to have that written out in a referenceable table, would you?

RainOfSteel Citizen
Quote:

Quote:

Old October 26th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Pointless arguments about Economics, Yes?

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene