Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old November 15th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 4
Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I will be using the Aslan, and maybe the Droyne, if I cannot avoid copyright issues on them. The Aslan present no problems, as the name "Aslan" is not unique to Traveller, obviously. I do have them as genetically engineered Terran Lions however, with a lot lower populations on their planets. Carnivores require a lot of land to support their diet. The maximum population density of the Aslan is 5 per square mile of land surface, which is quite a lot denser than the populations on the African savanna. They do not do well in a prolonged period in inclosed spaces, so require reasonably habitable planets to settle on. That does lead to more conflict with humans, but also is a weakness, as they ignore planets that humans can operate on. They are definitely not into Asteroid Belts. Again, that is my take on them in My Traveller Universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old November 15th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Gallery : 0
kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

I think I would only use the Hivers, and maybe the Vargr as an uplift pack that got away and came back a 1000 years later.

The 2300 aliens were far more compelling. Although imagine using the Pentapods as the threat race rather then the Kafers. Whoa nelly.

I do have an alien race preplanned for MATU. But it isn't like anything in the games. Although now that I've been looking around, looks like others have had this concept.
Old November 15th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 6
Gray Lensman Citizen

The last large campaign I did I used ALL the Traveller races, the 2300 races, the Star Frontiers races, David Weber's treecats, ... I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

I've always take a little Megatraveller blurb to heart "Space is Empty, Life is Everywhere."
Old November 15th, 2018, 11:54 AM

Visit Timerover51's Blog
Timerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved CitizenTimerover51 Beloved Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
The last large campaign I did I used ALL the Traveller races, the 2300 races, the Star Frontiers races, David Weber's treecats, ... I'm sure I've forgotten a few.

I've always take a little Megatraveller blurb to heart "Space is Empty, Life is Everywhere."
As I am working well to the Rimward of the Solomani area, about the only official alien race is the Aslan. I have some Great-Grandchildren of Grandfather in my sector as well, keeping a very low profile.

As I am working from the books of H. Beam Piper and Andre Norton, there are some different races around, as well as remains and ruins of older star-faring races. Definitely not the Official Traveller Universe.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old November 15th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

IMTU I have used all the usual suspects:
CT OTU alien races
T2300 alien races
Star Frontiers alien races
Alternity alien races
StarCraft alien races (praise be the Alternity version of StarCraft)
Thri-Kreen
Illithids
Vau
Simbiots
a whole load of the Cthulhu mythos races
Old November 15th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

I'd probably roll up some unique aliens, instead of using OTU ones.

I thought about a "Known Space" game, using Kzinti and Puppeteers, but meh!
Tools Link
Old June 13th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

AndyW Citizen

IMTU I have largely stuck with Humaniti. The canon aliens are there, but since most of my games have been in either the marches or the Solomani Rim, they are not populace enough to have been encountered widely. I did have a Hiver make a walk on appearance as a non-involved patron once.

Most of my PCs, encounters and patrons have been of the Vilani/Solomani stock, with one PC having been a wandering Zho. We spent a few hilarious hours trying to pronounce the name of that one, as we rolled it in the Zho name table. Another player wished to play a Vargr in a short lived cycle of scenarios.
Old June 13th, 2019, 05:17 PM

Visit Timerover51's Blog

The problem with the Droyne and Vargr is that they were developed by GDW and come under Marc's copyright. For a private campaign, that is not a problem, but if you want to publish material under the Cepheus Engine rule set, the copyright issues appear. Once I get my sector more organized and closer to publication, I am going to see if I can use the Droyne. For the Vargr, I have a couple of options. One is Piper's "z'Srauff", which are close to the Vargr, but for which I have no artwork. The other would be Howard Pyle's piratical biped Foxes, for which I have some artwork.

For private purposes, I would like to have some of Grandfather's great-grandchildren around, with some high-level equipment as an option. A couple of ANNIC NOVA type ships would be nice as well.

Old June 17th, 2019, 12:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Maksim-Smelchak Citizen

All is fair in love and war.

Shalom,
M.
Old June 17th, 2019, 04:06 PM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+

My first full-scale ATU (Outer Veil) had no living aliens; just dead ones. Ascraeus Civilization (dead reptiloids) and the Monument Builders (far weirder). Ascreaus killed themselves/were killed in a massive war about a millennium ago. Monument Builders... Who knows.

My second full-scale ATU (These Stars Are Ours!) has its own aliens, which lack direct OTU equivalents.

However, in my OTU variant, Dark Nebula 2900 CE, set in the OTU during the early Long Night, there are, of course, OTU aliens. Aslan - a very young Major race making their first steps in space; Solomani (Rule of Man remnants); and Droyne (at least one local Droyne world). There is also at least one non-canonical minor race in this setting (the reptiloid/geckonid Desertborn).

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King