Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Cepheus Engine > Cepheus General

Cepheus General General discussion of Cepheus Engine products.

Old June 4th, 2019, 08:11 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by middenface View Post
Cheaper and in the setting I am thinking off, they may not exist..

One side thought I had is, they exist, they are big and only provide lift.
Hmm so that means say, for spacecraft, that you'd have AG (or maybe only contragravity), but beyond that you have to use reaction engines? Assuming it did exist in your setting.
Old June 5th, 2019, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
Hmm so that means say, for spacecraft, that you'd have AG (or maybe only contragravity), but beyond that you have to use reaction engines? Assuming it did exist in your setting.
TNE's Contragravity disconnected the mass from the gravity well... 98% less mass for buoyancy purposes only. To go anywhere required a thrust system of some kind. So it's not a terribly wild idea...

Note also: This allowed ships with drives as low as 0.03 G's to life from 1G planets... with low-end thrusts delivering very slow rise... the peak generatable by the TNE rules local gravity of 2.6 G's is well within any reasonable TNE space drive's delta-V... 2.6*0.02=0.052 G's thrust needed, and most TNE ships have over 0.25 G and around 5-15 G-hours ΔV...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old June 10th, 2019, 05:05 AM

wellis Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
TNE's Contragravity disconnected the mass from the gravity well... 98% less mass for buoyancy purposes only. To go anywhere required a thrust system of some kind. So it's not a terribly wild idea...

Note also: This allowed ships with drives as low as 0.03 G's to life from 1G planets... with low-end thrusts delivering very slow rise... the peak generatable by the TNE rules local gravity of 2.6 G's is well within any reasonable TNE space drive's delta-V... 2.6*0.02=0.052 G's thrust needed, and most TNE ships have over 0.25 G and around 5-15 G-hours ΔV...
At such accelerations, and taking so long to get anywhere, you're going to be coasting a lot, right? I guess at that point, you would want some form of gravity then.
Old June 10th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

Gravitational mass and inertial mass are the same thing according to every experiment we have yet performed and the works of St Einstein.

A device that can reduce your gravitational mass should also reduce your inertial mass, thus your thrust agent is working against a much reduced mass.
Old June 10th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike wightman View Post
Gravitational mass and inertial mass are the same thing according to every experiment we have yet performed and the works of St Einstein.

A device that can reduce your gravitational mass should also reduce your inertial mass, thus your thrust agent is working against a much reduced mass.

Key point, the antigrav field is going to need to be strictly operating on the ship mass outward facing to it's interface with space-time, else odd things are going to happen to the atoms and molecules and hence solid objects within the ship.

Which begs the question, what's happening in atmo for ship takeoff and air/rafts? For the latter I'm thinking more 'repulsion as thrust'.
Old June 11th, 2019, 04:36 PM

wellis Citizen

Was looking at Gundam, and looking at its Minovksy particle technology and this I found interesting:
https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/Gunda...novsky_Physics
Quote:
Since it is made up of charged particles, the I-field is unable to penetrate metal, water, the Earth's surface, or other electrically conductive materials and can be shaped simply by trapping it in an electromagnetic field. Thus, at low altitudes it is possible to generate an I-field cushion between the underside of a vessel and the ground, yielding a gravity-countering buoyancy. This principle is used in the creation of the Minovsky craft system, which allowed a spaceship or heavy ground vehicle to "fly"/hover on Earth. The Principality of Zeon was slow to make use of this principle and the only units equipped with Minovsky craft systems during the One Year War were the MAX-03 Adzam and the three prototype Apsalus mobile armours. However, the Earth Federation was quick to adopt the system on its Pegasus-class assault carriers. This allowed the Pegasus-class to enter and exit earth's atmosphere and to fly while inside the atmosphere.
It's like you're using magnetically contained massive amount of particles to suspend yourself on for hovering.

Makes me wonder if such a thing could be used in place of contragravity for ships in a "harder" Traveller milieu.