Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old May 20th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Absent Friend

Gallery : 0
DonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM AwesomeDonM Awesome
Default T5 iPhone/iPad apps

Marc asked me to start a thread with this:

"We are currently investigating iPhone and iPad apps in support of Traveller5: utilities that implement the various Makers, and games that play out scenarios and situations like trade and combat.

If you have skills or interests in this area, we would like to include you in the conversation and potentially in the implementation, and we invite you to express your interest."

So, if this is of interest to you, and especially if you have skill in this area, please post in this thread.

Moderator of the ct-starships mailing list
Official Traveller Errata Collector (CT/MT/TNE/T4/T20/MGT/T5)
Official Archivist of Digest Group Publications
T5 Forum Hall Monitor and FFE Minion
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

cym0k Citizen

I don't want to post against prevailing wisdom, but it would be nice to have a unified set of tools that are available across platforms.

iOS is nice for those who have it, but Android users and the couple of Windows users that have mobiles would also benefit.

Costs/benefits I suppose. Is it seen as something that can be monetised within an App store?

Further to the mobile angle, aside from the current crop of available web-based solutions, something that can be accessed and used from a desktop or laptop would also be welcomed.

But again, money and time and effort and outlay and benefits received in return.
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonM View Post
So, if this is of interest to you, and especially if you have skill in this area, please post in this thread.
It is, and I have, particularly the iOS widgets (not so much with the animation stuff like Cocoa2D or Quartz etc). In other words, an environment the Maker tools could be designed in, but not a combat app, or other graphics-heavy app.
Tools Link
Old May 20th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cym0k View Post
I don't want to post against prevailing wisdom, but it would be nice to have a unified set of tools that are available across platforms.

iOS is nice for those who have it, but Android users and the couple of Windows users that have mobiles would also benefit.

Costs/benefits I suppose. Is it seen as something that can be monetised within an App store?

Further to the mobile angle, aside from the current crop of available web-based solutions, something that can be accessed and used from a desktop or laptop would also be welcomed.

But again, money and time and effort and outlay and benefits received in return.
iOS isn't holding market share, and isn't the norm amongst gamers from what I can see on other forums.

Android has better overall penetration, and more market growth.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Count

Visit Hemdian's Blog
Hemdian Citizen+Hemdian Citizen+

When playing D&D 3.5, 4e, or Pathfinder, I use an iPad2. There are some good apps (gaming and otherwise) for it.

I also have an MS Surface Pro and I did notice that 3mann has released a dozen Traveller apps for it. (All variations of MgT encounters.) But alas, I think Windows tablets are not popular outside of corporate environments. I was thinking of dabbling in Windows tablet development at some point.

Android is the one tablet platform I don't have at the moment. I'd rather not have 3 tablets.

Hemdian's Law of Ubiquity: If it's likely to be ubiquitous, then having a code is counter-productive.
William Durrant:
- Duke William Durrant of Patu (Core 0637)
- Count of Shakiiga (Core 2938)
- TAS Membership (named) - Patu (Core 0637)
Peter LS Trevor:
- Sir Peter LS Trevor of Yori (Spin 2110)
- Knight of the Domain of Deneb - Yori (Spin 2110)
- MCG (The Pursuits At Knorbes)
- TAS Membership (named) - Yori (Spin 2110)

- Dr Sir Peter LS Trevor of Yori (Exobiologist)
... Hephaestus Mission
(Others):
- Marquis of Piram (Dene 2116)
- Baron of L'Sis (Dene 0409), Mongo (Spin 1204), Knorbes (Spin 1807), Cabrini (Dene 0319)
- Knight of Marfa (Mass 2001), Alard (Forn 2307), Mora (Spin 3124)
- TAS Membership - Yllya (Forn 0705), Floinn (Forn 1034), Lysio (Corr 0815)
- Fifth Captain of the Imperial Guard - Sylea (Core 2118)
- SEH (The Pursuits At Alell)
- Commander (Lt Coronel) - HQ, 3rd Squadron (Lift Cavalry) - 4518th Lift Infantry Regiment
- Chief Astrogator (Lieutenant) BR Iirba - BR154
IMTU: ct+ tm++ tn t4 t5++ tg t20 th mgt ru+ ge+ 3i+ c++ jt- au ls-- pi+ ta he
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

infojunky Citizen

Android, I am at the point when a new tablet is purchased it will be some flavor of Android.
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Viscount

Quint Citizen+Quint Citizen+

I am not the person to develop, though I could playtest/troubleshoot (and I have a partner that just got into QA because she discovered a flair for it at her last position). I can say that I would really enjoy this sort of product and would use them - it is just the sort of thing I want automated for me, or made into a minigame that feels less like I'm calculating statistics in grad school again...

I'm reading and typing this on my Surface Pro, which I already have plans to replace with a SP2 or whatever come after that if it lasts that long. I will never buy iAnything because I have no in-house tech support for it, while I could manage an Android app if I had to (use both Android and a Windows smartphones).

D.
Medal for Conspicuous Gallantry - The Pursuits at Menorb
IMTU aka "Traveller 2200" = tp++ tc+ mt+ mgt+ tne-- !3i he+
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

flyteach Citizen

I might be interested. I am exploring Xamarin tools for some other applications. An easy way to cover iOS and Android and still look good on either. But you need to be mildly proficient in C#.
Jim
Old June 17th, 2014, 02:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

cym0k Citizen

What options are there for cross-platform development (things like Flash, Air, Java, Javascript/HTML5 etc etc)?
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 11
Enoff Citizen

Adobe Flash and Air are dead on mobiles

I think the easiest for cross-platform looks to be Phonegap to make an app out of HTML5/CSS3/jQuery Mobile

An interesting piece of software is nbos inspiration pad, a desktop version is available for free on rpgdrivethru also a paid app for android is available on Google play. You can build quick generators with it, sort of a simple database.
http://www.nbos.com/products/ipad/ipad.htm