Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old June 9th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome
Default Prometheus and Shadows

After watching Prometheus, I really wonder if the writers ever read or played Shadows. You could easily combine the two stories.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Maybe, but I'll bet Marc saw Alien
Old June 11th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Count

Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
Maybe, but I'll bet Marc saw Alien
Prometheus was based on ideas they originally were going to use in Alien in 1979. And I'll bet Shadows came out first.

There's superficial coincidences between the two. Prometheus could be an exaggerated version of Shadows.

Old June 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinward Scout View Post
Prometheus was based on ideas they originally were going to use in Alien in 1979. And I'll bet Shadows came out first.

There's superficial coincidences between the two. Prometheus could be an exaggerated version of Shadows.

I think Shadows came out in 1980, hard to say just how much time there was between the two, though I'm not sure I see much influence/inspiration in Shadows from Alien. Superficial as you say, no more than one might find between any two sci-fi dungeon crawls.

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old June 11th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
I think Shadows came out in 1980.
You're right. Just looked it up. Shadows was run at Winter War in 1980.

In the original script for Alien, the derelict ship was supposed to be on top of a pyramid-like structure.

Last edited by Spinward Scout; June 11th, 2012 at 04:51 AM..