Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Aramis' pbp

Old January 26th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

23 Nov 1886, continued
Quote:
Originally Posted by McPerth View Post
"We can work on it, of course" answers McBean, "maybe a passenger's cabin may be used as laboratory if we can spare it, otherwise the photographic lab shuld be installed in the cargo hold, setting some interior walls."

McBean proudly shows the Inertial Compass to the Lieutenent. "I guess this can be quite useful, being an expedition to venus. It took some time for me to develop it" he tells him.
"Aye, sir, that it may." He carefully notes the patent number, and the spelling.

He carefully examines the lift bags, and the solar boiler, even the rigging. "Have you had her in the Ether yet, Sir? Do the masts get in the way of the Boiler?" His careful notes and precise drawings catch lots of details. His eye for measurements is precise, and his leadholder has been carefully inked in both fractional and decimal inches to double as a ruler; at several points he uses it to check measurements. He annotates his drawings in a symbolic code, and on a good glance, it appears he's annotating in Ogham while muttering in Scots Gaelic. McBean figures that, given a couple shifts and a toolkit, Mr. McPhee could generate a decent set of as-builts for the Hiland Pride.

Finally, he says, "This way, Sir, and I'll show you the Anderson Patent Three-Camera Cartographic System, and the Anderson Patent Map Plotting System." †

He leads McBean into a nearby hangar, where a trio of cameras and a field development lab are carefully arranged. A table with a trio of arc lamps carefully mounted to a railing system above a drafting table, with plate holders in front of them, and a careful system of gearing.

"Behold, Major Anderson's last project!"
-=-=-=-=-=-
̂† Historically, Major Samuel Anderson, RE (OS) {Bio}, did do Aerial Photography from balloons. He has no historical patents. But the triple camera plotting system was something theorized in the 1870's in the Ordinance Survey, but it wasn't implemented until several decades later. He served with General Wilson in the 1860's and 1870's, and historically died in 1881, following testimony before the House of Lords about the military lifestyle of the RE and R. Artillery.
Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.

Last edited by aramis; January 26th, 2014 at 05:50 AM..
Old January 26th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
Visit McPerth's Blog
McPerth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
23 Nov 1886, continued

"Aye, sir, that it may." He carefully notes the patent number, and the spelling.

He carefully examines the lift bags, and the solar boiler, even the rigging. "Have you had her in the Ether yet, Sir? Do the masts get in the way of the Boiler?" His careful notes and precise drawings catch lots of details. His eye for measurements is precise, and his leadholder has been carefully inked in both fractional and decimal inches to double as a ruler; at several points he uses it to check measurements. He annotates his drawings in a symbolic code, and on a good glance, it appears he's annotating in Ogham while muttering in Scots Gaelic. McBean figures that, given a couple shifts and a toolkit, Mr. McPhee could generate a decent set of as-builts for the Hiland Pride.

Finally, he says, "This way, Sir, and I'll show you the Anderson Patent Three-Camera Cartographic System, and the Anderson Patent Map Plotting System." †
"We have taken it to the Ether for some preliminary tests, but some more would be useful. I believed that they would better be don with the cew that would have to take it to the trip, if hired, once it is recruited, so they would doublé as a shake down tests. It would be a honor if you join us in those tests when (if) they are done, as you seem knowledgeable about Flyers and you tips would be appreciated" answers McBean.

Quote:
He leads McBean into a nearby hangar, where a trio of cameras and a field development lab are carefully arranged. A table with a trio of arc lamps carefully mounted to a railing system above a drafting table, with plate holders in front of them, and a careful system of gearing.

"Behold, Major Anderson's last project!"

"We'll have to work a Little to adapt this to the Highland Pride", says McBean when looking at Anderson's Project, "but I guess it can be done".

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; January 26th, 2014 at 06:42 AM..
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:

"We'll have to work a Little to adapt this to the Highland Pride", says McBean when looking at Anderson's Project, "but I guess it can be done".
"Nay, Sir. The Pride will have to be adapted to it. It's precision machinery, and the spacing is vital. It's three holes at specific points, and we can glaze them." he reaches onto a shelf on the side of the hangar, and pulls out a metal template, some six feet long, and having three rings with 6" openings, and screwpoints drilled as well. "The mounting template, Sir."

He pauses a moment to hand off the hefty template to McBean, then continues, "The Darkroom kin be anywhere... and the table as well, provided it's intact, but the camera, nay, it must be belly mounted in one piece with 3 windows matching that template to the sixteenth, sir. It's precision machinery!"

(If you wish to estimate its reliability, either skill for Precision Machinery, TN4 on the higher or TN5 on the lower.)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
(If you wish to estimate its reliability, either skill for Precision Machinery, TN4 on the higher or TN5 on the lower.)
I guess that means rolling Mechanics (Machinist), at TN4: (2d6)[3][3](6)

So, if I understood well, 2 successes...

I'm not afraid about bullets, what scares me is the speed at which they're incoming.

Last edited by McPerth; January 26th, 2014 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: adding results comments
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
I guess that means rolling Mechanics (Machinist), at TN4: [roll0]

So, if I understood well, 2 successes...
The camera system appears to be reliability 4 itself, and the plotting table reliability 6. Given time and materials, McBean could probably improve upon them. Both are Optics 15 Precision Machinery 15.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:15 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
The camera system appears to be reliability 4 itself, and the plotting table reliability 6. Given time and materials, McBean could probably improve upon them. Both are Optics 15 Precision Machinery 15.
They are reliable enough, and I want to keep my remaining dice for the future...

Old January 26th, 2014, 03:18 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
He annotates his drawings in a symbolic code, and on a good glance, it appears he's annotating in Ogham while muttering in Scots Gaelic.
Does McBean speack Scots Gaelic and read Ogham?

Old January 26th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
Does McBean speack Scots Gaelic and read Ogham?
So it would appear.
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Visit McPerth's Blog

Quote:
"Nay, Sir. The Pride will have to be adapted to it. It's precision machinery, and the spacing is vital. It's three holes at specific points, and we can glaze them." he reaches onto a shelf on the side of the hangar, and pulls out a metal template, some six feet long, and having three rings with 6" openings, and screwpoints drilled as well. "The mounting template, Sir."

He pauses a moment to hand off the hefty template to McBean, then continues, "The Darkroom kin be anywhere... and the table as well, provided it's intact, but the camera, nay, it must be belly mounted in one piece with 3 windows matching that template to the sixteenth, sir. It's precision machinery!"
"But this must be done while being airthight..." answers McBean. "I guess we should protect the windows for the cameras with bulkheads while in the Ether, and remove them while on atmosphere (ar at least when the cameras are to be used). We'll have to work on that..." (OOC: that would be similar to the window protections told about in the Princess Alexandra, in Canal Priests of Mars)

Old January 27th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Visit aramis's Blog

Quote:
"But this must be done while being airthight..." answers McBean. "I guess we should protect the windows for the cameras with bulkheads while in the Ether, and remove them while on atmosphere (ar at least when the cameras are to be used). We'll have to work on that..." (OOC: that would be similar to the window protections told about in the Princess Alexandra, in Canal Priests of Mars)
(Actually, armored shutters for ether flyers are standard tech.)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
MCG - Battle of Boughene