Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > 2300/2320AD > 2300AD & 2320

2300AD & 2320 Discussion of the original 2300AD from GDW, the revised 2300 from Mongoose Publishing, or QLI's 2320AD.

Old October 8th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Secrect Cow Level Citizen
My favorite 2300 AD module was ENERGY CURVE, with BEANSTALK as a close second. I liked KAFER DAWN for the information it provided (before the release of the revised 2300AD set) but thought the adventures themselves were a little flat. I won RANGER on Ebay but the seller never sent it to me (loser!). The adventure included in the original TRAVELLER 2300 set was poor. Not only did you have to provide your own map and animal stats, but the plot was contrived and linear. The characters automatically take the orange recording device from the downed satalite, the French milita automatically opens fire, the characters MUST flee to the German colony because the French government won't negotiate, ect. The adventure included in the revised 2300AD set was much better, even if it was a programed adventure.
Old October 8th, 2002, 06:03 PM

TWILIGHT Citizen
ranger, deathwatch program, operation overlord & operation back door (mini ylii campaign)
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:23 PM

Lord Iron Wolf Citizen
I'd have to say Aurore Sourcebook. I'm a long term Science Fiction fan and I liked the way the world/moon was fully thought out. If fact, hard science is why I liked 2300 AD in the first place.

One grouse though with GDW was they were a wargaming company at heart with the Kafer War taking most of their focus and energy. (Fifth Frontier War in Traveller.) It's a pity because there was so much Science and Alieness that could of been explored in 2300 AD and the Kafer War got most of the modules.

All in all, 2300 AD was a good product that never reached its potential (Space 1889 anyone for another example?)

LIW
Old October 15th, 2002, 10:55 PM

Vargr Breath Citizen
Hi
I would have enjoyed 2300AD more with more science and exploration and less Kafer War.Take a look at this site.
http://www.theculture.org/adastra/
Old October 23rd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Vargas Citizen
Ranger. I love the Texas Rangers in space thing.
Old November 24th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 56
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis
Exclamation

Mine is the Aurore Sourcebook, too. HOWEVER, I like it because it is the only one with new CG options!

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

rcdb100 Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by Vargr Breath:
Hi
I would have enjoyed 2300AD more with more science and exploration and less Kafer War.Take a look at this site.
http://www.theculture.org/adastra/
Ah, yes: Ad Astra, which doesn't have implacably hostile aliens but which does have a Pansolar War that nearly wipes out human civilisation [img]smile.gif[/img]

If you take a look at my Designers' Notes, you'll see that 2300AD was a direct influence on the design of the setting.
Old December 7th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 28
Visit kafka47's Blog
kafka47 Citizen
My fav. was the one with the psionic plant in the other sourcehook, it had great art and an interesting problem and situations for the players to get a sense of life in the future and life in space.

My least favorite was Invasion, 'cause till the end I couldn't figure out what was happening...just a bunch of space battles with no flavour but for the Trillion Credit guys out there I am sure it was perfect.

Check out the calendar for active Toronto Traveller games: http://www.meetup.com/Toronto-Area-Gamers/
Old December 8th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-9

Pompe Citizen
I'd say Aurore Sourcebook and the Kafer Sourcebook. Both are good supplements with a rather wide scope and usability.

Ranger is among the best too, but is a bit much of stereotypes.

However, what is the worst cover art on a 2300AD-product? I'd rate these three for Astronomical Incorrectness - Nyotekundu, Colonial Atlas and the Aurore Sourcebook.
Old December 11th, 2003, 05:38 PM

TJP Citizen
For me the Nyotekundu and Aurore sourcebooks were the best. They had just the right amount of detail, not too little or too much, enough for GMs - I mean Directors - to expand upon the material, enough to spark the imagination and get loads of ideas for adventure. Speaking of adventures, I have fond memories of Operation Arcturus - basically you got to run a variant of the Aliens movie in 2300AD.

The biggest disappointment for me was Rotten to the Core. I never liked adding cyberpunk elements into 2300AD, but those were the days of "Cyberpunk Revolution" in RPGs so I guess GDW wanted to have their share. I just didn't like it, it wasn't what 2300AD was for me. YMMV.