Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > In My Traveller Universe

In My Traveller Universe Detail what parts of Traveller you do (or don't) use in your campaign.

Old May 13th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 0
ninthcouncil Citizen
Angry

A question about when a subject must be considered "forbidden canon: I'm particularly interested in the position of a minor human race called the Geonee, but they can equally serve as an illustration of grey areas in the "forbidden canon" concept which I wondered if anyone could illuminate further.

The Geonee were described in most detail in Traveller's Digest 11 (which I don't possess, but I've been able to get most of the information one way or another), and are also mentioned (and illustrated) in Solomani & Aslan. These are DGP publications and as such part of the "forbidden canon".

However, the Geonee are also mentioned in TAS bulletins which appeared in Challenge and subsequently in Survival Margin. The reports make it clear that the Geonee are a minor human race from Massilia of compact stature, who suffer from persecution during the rebellion. These publications are copyrighted GDW, so are part of normal canon. It should be noted however that GDW's "Knightfall", which is set in and details the Massilia sector, does NOT mention them.

Would I be right in assuming that therefore the Genoee's existence, and the bare facts about them covered in Survival Margin, are "permitted", but that details about them which appear *only* in DGP publications (their unconventional views about the nature of the Ancients, the role of chirpers in their social system etc.) are "forbidden"? To use them publically would thus require rewriting the race - which is a pity, as they're really rather interesting.

Or, despite their presence in non-DGP material, are the Geonee completely off-limits?

Welcome!
To see more of this thread, please login or register.