Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Space Badger's Reaver's Deep

Space Badger's Reaver's Deep SpaceBadger's SBRD game

Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragonman View Post
"Huh. Probably should inventory that thing at some point."
[LOL! Well, the usual ship's locker rules: You can either inventory everything in there, and then that's all you have; or you can leave it sort of fuzzy, and maybe pull out stuff you need later but never thought to list. Of course, even with the "fuzzy" version, you can buy and stock specific items to make sure they are in there.]

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old August 10th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

There are some snow flurries as you walk, but none is accumulating.

The Jurin Downport is surrounded by the usual Startown mixture of storage facilities, used vehicle lots, used equipment stores, ship's chandlers, brokers for freight and cargo, cheap lodging, restaurants, bars, and other places of entertainment for ships' crews.

One difference you note from some of the many other Startowns you've seen is that not much of anything is outdoors; no open cafes or bazaars, and even the used vehicle dealers have most of their stuff in enclosed showrooms, due to the weather.

You find the Jinn-Zill Kron easily by its sign out front featuring two snake/fish-like creatures entwined in mortal combat (or possibly mating; it's hard to say). The place appears busy, its parking lot full of groundcars (many with multiple axles or even half-tracks) and the occasional enclosed air/raft.

The host says that Turovik isn't there yet, but that he has reserved a large booth sufficient for at least six people. He shows your group to the booth and offers to bring hot tea and appetizers while you wait for Turovik.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 10th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Gallery : 0
Visit pendragonman's Blog
pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+pendragonman Citizen+

I suppose that snowy weather would have been noticeable during the drop to the surface or while walking in from the pad...

Enjoy the tea. Motion the team to eat at will. Stay sharp. This is a business dinner.

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old August 11th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
I suppose that snowy weather would have been noticeable during the drop to the surface or while walking in from the pad...
[Not during the landing, but once you got outside, sure; as noted it is just flurries, no accumulation. Not what anyone local would even consider "snowy weather"; more like "just a nice day outside".]

Nedrik Turovik shows up 10 minutes late, apologizing profusely for the delay while shedding his bulky fur parka and handing it off to the host. Seating himself, he asks the hosts for menus, then asks you whether you would like to order off the menu or simply have a variety of Jurin dishes served family style.

Once the food is served, Turovik asks if you have plans for your next destination, as that would influence his advice on trade goods. Or, if you are planning to travel into the Deep to stop at a less-developed world before selling (as suggested by some items you asked about earlier) then his suggestions would be different.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 11th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
[Not during the landing, but once you got outside, sure; as noted it is just flurries, no accumulation. Not what anyone local would even consider "snowy weather"; more like "just a nice day outside".]

Nedrik Turovik shows up 10 minutes late, apologizing profusely for the delay while shedding his bulky fur parka and handing it off to the host. Seating himself, he asks the hosts for menus, then asks you whether you would like to order off the menu or simply have a variety of Jurin dishes served family style.

Once the food is served, Turovik asks if you have plans for your next destination, as that would influence his advice on trade goods. Or, if you are planning to travel into the Deep to stop at a less-developed world before selling (as suggested by some items you asked about earlier) then his suggestions would be different.
"Less populated colonies more than less developed. One doesn't automatically mean the other. The more populated worlds may attract larger freighters than ours. Plus the smaller colonies allow us a more personal service. What I am going to try for is a three to four month loop out and back to here. Three to four trips a year. First run out, however, I gotta take a wide assortment cause I don't yet know what they need."

3 times elevated Knight of the Iridium Throne, Marquis Djar, Marquis of the Solomani Rim (Fafhrd), Count Uakye, and Count Jana. Duke Ninua of the Imperial Core.
Old August 11th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

"Good thinking, Captain. Now if you can tell me what you want, give me a few minutes with my datapad and I'll get you better prices that you can get anywhere else in this system."

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

[I feel the need to point out what may be an unintentional effect here, and why I am getting the feeling you write the way you do to either make yourself feel superior or make me feel foolish. You pointed out in a post that it was cold and unpleasant outside, which is an indication that I need to PURCHASE cold weather gear for me and my team. Then, once I have done so, you tell me that the coats have been in the locker the entire time. Then when I point out I need to inventory the locker, you tell me it is not in my interest to inventory the locker so that it will be a (somewhat) bag of holding. How am I to know if there is cold weather gear in the locker if I don't inventory it? Wouldn't it have been better to have Lefty stop me FROM purchasing the coats by reminding me that there is cold weather gear in the locker? Then I don't waste credits (and thereby irritate me), and the mystery of the locker continues. Do you see what I am saying here?]

"As I said, I am interested in basic computer systems, primary and backup power supplies for ground stations, air handlers and purifiers, construction tools, terraforming and farming equipment."

Old August 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog

Quote:
I feel the need to point out what may be an unintentional effect here, and why I am getting the feeling you write the way you do to either make yourself feel superior or make me feel foolish. You pointed out in a post that it was cold and unpleasant outside, which is an indication that I need to PURCHASE cold weather gear for me and my team. Then, once I have done so, you tell me that the coats have been in the locker the entire time. Then when I point out I need to inventory the locker, you tell me it is not in my interest to inventory the locker so that it will be a (somewhat) bag of holding. How am I to know if there is cold weather gear in the locker if I don't inventory it? Wouldn't it have been better to have Lefty stop me FROM purchasing the coats by reminding me that there is cold weather gear in the locker? Then I don't waste credits (and thereby irritate me), and the mystery of the locker continues. Do you see what I am saying here?]
I assure you once and for all that is not what is going on here. In fact, I really mean that once and for all, because I am getting a little tired of addressing it, and if it comes up again in this accusatory way, we're finished and you can go back to whatever other games you play. You do play RPGs, right? Traveller and other things? Do you ever work as GM? Because what I'm getting from you in the way of complaints are things that I have never heard in 36 years of GMing, and I have to wonder why that is, and have you never experienced anything like this before?

OK, one more time behind the curtain. I pointed out the cold and chilly climate because that is a fact of Jurin; like I said, that was actually a very nice day out, even for the equator. It's called setting the scene, and making it so every planet isn't all the same, with the exception that you need vaccsuits on some of them.

I dunno about you, but I don't go buy a new coat every winter. I get my old one out of the closet. You are travelling in a ship that occasionally stops at cold worlds. I expect your people had coats and gloves, if not in their own staterooms then stashed in the ship's locker. So really, I expected that you would just have everybody put on coats - or maybe check the ship's locker for cold weather gear - that is what it's for, you know, not just weapons but misc stuff that no one thinks to buy.

Instead, you decided to buy brand new stuff. OK, that's fine, but I thought I'd throw a hint by having Lefty find the jacket - "Hey, Cap'n, there's cold weather stuff in the locker!" Then you decide that Lefty's jacket is so neat, you want to buy them for everybody, so I thought I'd be NICE and let you find a bunch already prepared, so you don't have to mess around with it any further.

And as for your suggestion about Lefty pointing it out to you after you'd already decided to buy stuff, I think I am quite justified by your previous round of complaining that you would also just that as "making you look foolish" so I made the best guess I could, and whaddya know, more complaints anyway; just can't win.

As for the ship's locker, that is how everyone I know plays it. You can choose to inventory the ship's locker, and then that's it, that's all you have, plus whatever else you may buy to add to it. Then an adventure comes up that calls for some rope, and guess what, you forgot to list it in the locker, or already used whatever you had. So sorry, adventure FAIL, for lack of a rope.

Or you can choose to not know everything in the ship's locker, and if you ask for something out of it the GM thinks is reasonable, you get it. If you ask for a lot of them, the GM may roll for how many, making the adventure more interesting because you have to decide who gets the limited resources. Oh, yeah you can also assure yourself of stuff being in there if you expressly buy it and put it in, but otherwise its a grab-bag. IT IS A TOOL FOR THE GM TO HELP THE PLAYERS COMPLETE THE ADVENTURE. You seriously have never had it operate that way before?

You want to GM, have at it, and we'll all watch what a fine job you do. You want to play in my game, you can ask questions all you want before you do something, and I will explain how things work, but I am SICK and TIRED of the complaining after the fact, and if that's what you want to do, go find another game.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Listen, you chose to continue to write in such a way that it appears to me, and all of the other role players I have shown this thread to, that you are trying to make me look foolish.

You chose that method even though I have pointed it out to you, as you have said, more than once.

Then you chose to open a thread complaining about my point on the ship's locker. This shows me that you missed my entire point. I have no problem with the magical locker of useful items. What I have a problem with is waiting to tell me an item is in the locker until AFTER I have purchased the item. Further, when I suggest inventorying the locker so that I will have an idea what's in there (and thus not go buying something that I already have) you tell me that doing so will end the magical part of the useful items box.

You and I had a similar type conflict in Mag's game as well. Perhaps it is better that this thread dies as you seem to not want to see my point.

Old August 11th, 2014, 07:04 PM
Absent Friends Margrave

Quote:
I assure you once and for all that is not what is going on here. In fact, I really mean that once and for all, because I am getting a little tired of addressing it, and if it comes up again in this accusatory way, we're finished and you can go back to whatever other games you play. You do play RPGs, right? Traveller and other things? Do you ever work as GM? Because what I'm getting from you in the way of complaints are things that I have never heard in 36 years of GMing, and I have to wonder why that is, and have you never experienced anything like this before?
Been playing RPGs since 1978. Been GMing since 1981. Perhaps you are used to Gming with live persons or with people used to assuming they have something. As you know to ASSUME makes an ... of you and me. At n o point did you tell me (you can look at all of the threads and the email chain) that the Rule of Reason-ability applies to regular equipment. Telling me that the ship's locker is magical about things we need tells me to wait to use it until we REALLY REALLY need it. Not to go looking for winter coats in there.

Quote:
OK, one more time behind the curtain. I pointed out the cold and chilly climate because that is a fact of Jurin; like I said, that was actually a very nice day out, even for the equator. It's called setting the scene, and making it so every planet isn't all the same, with the exception that you need vaccsuits on some of them.

I dunno about you, but I don't go buy a new coat every winter. I get my old one out of the closet. You are travelling in a ship that occasionally stops at cold worlds. I expect your people had coats and gloves, if not in their own staterooms then stashed in the ship's locker. So really, I expected that you would just have everybody put on coats - or maybe check the ship's locker for cold weather gear - that is what it's for, you know, not just weapons but misc stuff that no one thinks to buy.

Instead, you decided to buy brand new stuff. OK, that's fine, but I thought I'd throw a hint by having Lefty find the jacket - "Hey, Cap'n, there's cold weather stuff in the locker!" Then you decide that Lefty's jacket is so neat, you want to buy them for everybody, so I thought I'd be NICE and let you find a bunch already prepared, so you don't have to mess around with it any further.

And as for your suggestion about Lefty pointing it out to you after you'd already decided to buy stuff, I think I am quite justified by your previous round of complaining that you would also just that as "making you look foolish" so I made the best guess I could, and whaddya know, more complaints anyway; just can't win.

As for the ship's locker, that is how everyone I know plays it. You can choose to inventory the ship's locker, and then that's it, that's all you have, plus whatever else you may buy to add to it. Then an adventure comes up that calls for some rope, and guess what, you forgot to list it in the locker, or already used whatever you had. So sorry, adventure FAIL, for lack of a rope.

Or you can choose to not know everything in the ship's locker, and if you ask for something out of it the GM thinks is reasonable, you get it. If you ask for a lot of them, the GM may roll for how many, making the adventure more interesting because you have to decide who gets the limited resources. Oh, yeah you can also assure yourself of stuff being in there if you expressly buy it and put it in, but otherwise its a grab-bag. IT IS A TOOL FOR THE GM TO HELP THE PLAYERS COMPLETE THE ADVENTURE. You seriously have never had it operate that way before?

You want to GM, have at it, and we'll all watch what a fine job you do. You want to play in my game, you can ask questions all you want before you do something, and I will explain how things work, but I am SICK and TIRED of the complaining after the fact, and if that's what you want to do, go find another game.
It is not how I play the ship's locker. I list the following as in the locker, anything else kept in it the players need to put them there:

Enough basic vacc suits for the regular (book) crew + air bottles for 24 hours per suit. enough shotguns for half the crew, enough autopistols for the whole crew, 100 rounds for each weapon, 4 weeks survival rations and 1 week's water for the book crew compliment. flair gun, emergency beacon, orbit range satellite radio. Hostile environment shelter big enough for the book crew, filter masks for the book crew.

That is it. No winter coats in the magic closet. No spare ship's parts. No tools. It is a basic ship's survival kit. Tool kits should be in engineering along with small repair parts. Larger ones would be in a Connex shipping container of about 1/2 a dton in the cargo bay.

I have been playing Traveller all over the US and Europe since its issuance. I have never, ever had a GM make it a magical closet of stuff.

I have also never had a GM who meant for character's to have a reasonable equipment list WITHOUT TELLING THEM SO. You didn't say so, so why should I assume that is what you mean?

Since I didn't actually purchase equipment, I just got my muster out bennies, and since you saw fit to clip those (only one armor bonus allowed when I got 2, and no compensation for the lost one. An explanation, sure, but since you gave no parameters for muster out items (when you have GOBS of house rules about Chargen for everything else) I should have been compensated for the lost bennie.) why should I assume that I have otherwise reasonable equipment?

You assume things many times without communicating to me. If you don't tell me, and I am not Psionic, how am I to know what you mean?

Communicating clearly with me works great. Bullying does not. It is these bullying methods of yours that made me want to quit Mag's game. It is why I am quitting this game.

Closed Thread