Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Lone Star

The Lone Star Meet, greet and socialize with your fellow Travellers in the Lone Star Lounge. Random Topics.

Old June 21st, 2019, 10:53 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+JimMarn Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by whartung View Post
Bet it looked great on paper, though.
They said the crew was frantic because they couldn't bring any guns to bear on the x-boats along side. Only rifles and grenades would work. I understood the text to infer that the main guns were wanted, but of course wouldn't drepess at that angle.

I think some sailors would have tried to dismount the 37mm anti-aircaft guns, but it may not have been possible.
Old June 21st, 2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellis View Post
Is there anything on modern warship design or habitability or anything?
I remember one of my shipmates finding out that our berthing space on an early DDG ( built early 1960s), had less cubic space per person than that required by law for a federal prisoner accomidation.

Bottom bunk of 3 in a tier, is what new guys got. After 2 years I got the top one. I then had 2 or so feet of space over my head. I could actually stretch my arms.

The lowest of the 3 gave me claustrophobia. About 14 or 16 inches of vertical room.
Old July 8th, 2019, 02:46 AM

Gallery : 4
Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen
Default Concentration Camps

Since concentration camps seem to be in the news of late, I thought that posting the link to the 7th Army report on the liberation of Dachau would be in order, so that the understanding of what is meant by a "concentration camp" might be increased. If for some reason that does not get you to the report, let me know. Otherwise, just search the Combined Arms Research Library Digital Library for World War 2 documents using Dachau. You can also send me a PM and I will email you the PDF file of the report.

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/s.../id/2858/rec/5

Also, is should not be forgotten that the British used concentration camps against the Boer civilian population during the Second Boer War.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElI451TxsTg, 3:24 in.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

They that go down to the sea in ships,
that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD,
and his wonders in the deep.
Old July 8th, 2019, 05:29 AM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

They used them in Malaya as well, with the specific purpose to cut communications and support between civilian sympathizers and communist insurgents, but otherwise maintain civic and commercial activities.

I guess the modern term would be gated communities.
Old July 8th, 2019, 10:09 AM

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
They used them in Malaya as well, with the specific purpose to cut communications and support between civilian sympathizers and communist insurgents, but otherwise maintain civic and commercial activities.

I guess the modern term would be gated communities.

Possibly used first in the KC area with the infamous Order #10. The rounding up and incarceration of relatives of the varying groups were put in unsafe buildings, and one collapsed killing a few. This precipitated Quantrill's Raid. the Raid in turn led to Order #12, a systematic depopulation of a region to cut off supply and support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawren...in_Kansas_City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genera...r_No._11_(1863)
Old July 28th, 2019, 09:45 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog
timerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizentimerover51 Beloved Citizen

I came acroos the following quote in England and the Orleans Monarchy, by Major John Hall, copyright 1912, available as a download from Project Gutenberg.

It appears that the last was fought by Switzerland was a brief civil war in 1847. Quite interesting.

Quote:
No sooner had the Diet, on November 4, decreed the forcible suppression of the Sonderbund than the Genevese general, Dufour, who had at his disposal an army of 100,000 men and 260 guns, was ordered to begin operations. The isolated canton of Fribourg having been easily overwhelmed, the Federal commander advanced with his whole force against Lucerne. Salis-Soglio, a Protestant of the Grisons, whose army amounted to some 80,000 troops with 74 guns, awaited him in a selected position between the Reuss and the Lake of Zug. The decisive battle was fought on November 23, Dufour’s victory was complete. On the following day, the Jesuits and the executive council having fled, Lucerne surrendered. The Valais, the last of the seven Cantons to abandon the struggle, capitulated on the 29th. Twenty-five days after the Diet had formally resolved upon its suppression, the Sonderbund ceased to exist.
Another interesting tidbit in the book was the assistance given by the Prussians to Turkey to re-work its army in the 1840s. The assistance included a certain Major von Moltke, of later fame. This means that the Turks were consistent when seeking German help for the same thing prior to World War One. Just a different group of Turks doing the asking.

The book is also fascinating for the incredible amount of meddling in the internal affairs of other countries by England, along with France. And they did not even have the Internet to do it.
I march to my own set of bagpipes. Caution: This individual thinks that studying logistics is FUN.

Old August 30th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

just come back form a visit to The Tank Museum, in Bovington, Dorset, UK. Im currently on a training coruse at the adjacent army base (home of the Royal Armoured Corps, the parent unit for all the army's armours regiments). I had a poke around because it was free for UK forces, and it was most intresting (worth a look if your ever in the South West of England and looking for somewhere to go).

Anyway, while browsing around I came across this wonderful quote, form a Lieutenant Ken Giles, who I know nothing about, other than he was a tank commander, specifically of a M3 Grant in North Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Ken Giles
The 75mm main gun is firing,
The 37mm secondary gun is firing, but it’s traversed round the wrong way.
The Browning is jammed.
I am saying ‘Driver advance’ on the A set, but the driver – who can’t hear me – is reversing.

And as I look over the top of the turret, and see 12 enemy tanks, just 50 yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich.

the browning is very likely to be a .30 cal M1919, but it could be a .50 cal M2. The "A set" is one of his two radio sets, and not the intercom that the driver can hear (all three are on a the same headset and changed by a toggle swtich. it was apparently quite common for commanders to forget to change it to the right setting, and give crew orders over the air or give detailed recce reports to the vehicle crew and not command).

I just think its the most... British description of a tank battle I have ever heard, and thought i'd share it with you guys.
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling
Old August 30th, 2019, 01:06 PM

I have several of the Ballantine War Books, paperback books of one subject per book. The author was there; as in, Destroyer Captain, Infantry Company Captain, etc. First hand.

One of them was by a British officer commaning a tank in North Africa. It may have been a Grant. Its been a number of years ago when I read them.
Old August 31st, 2019, 06:34 PM

Visit timerover51's Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarn View Post
I have several of the Ballantine War Books, paperback books of one subject per book. The author was there; as in, Destroyer Captain, Infantry Company Captain, etc. First hand.

One of them was by a British officer commaning a tank in North Africa. It may have been a Grant. Its been a number of years ago when I read them.
I think that the book you are thinking of is Brazen Chariots, and the tank was an M3 Stuart light tank, called a "Honey" by the British.

Old September 1st, 2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timerover51 View Post
I think that the book you are thinking of is Brazen Chariots, and the tank was an M3 Stuart light tank, called a "Honey" by the British.
Yes, thats it.

Thanks.