Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 8
Nezach Citizen

All of those are great ideas Ewan. Those would be nice and simple to do. Well, compared to a scene filled with aliens and variant humans any way. I do like the Z-80 too. The Zhos don't get much love from us 3D guys do they?
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:33 AM

Nezach Citizen

The Z80 was just what the Dr. ordered. I got most of the modeling done this evening. Anyone know what the canonical paint job on these babies would be?

Old May 4th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Orr Citizen

Beautiful render! Thank you for it!

As far as paint jobs go, from MT on ships have had a "chameleon" hull option so I'd think military vehicles would have the same capability. Your Z-80 will sport different camouflage schemes depending on the terrain around and that should help you produce multiple renders rather easily.

Take the same initial render, drop it in a jungle, add jungle "cammie", and you've one picture. Take the same render, drop it on a prairie, add prairie "cammie", and you've another picture. Lather, rinse, and repeat for more pictures.

As for parade and barracks duty, the whole Zho/Imperial relationship has had a distinct Cold War flavor from the beginning so using a USA olive drab or USSR mustard green might be one way to go.

Would the Zhos feel the need for the nicknames, unit stencils, kill rings, and other flourishes?
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Likely, a digital camo matched CLOSELY to the terrain.

Parade, I'd say likely black or a grayish tan, with green Zho trefoils.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:29 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

I always think of the Zhos as grey. The Sollies are Cold War green.
Old May 4th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 1
E.D.Quibell Citizen

FFW has the Imperials in Red and the Zhos in light blue.

Thats the only cannon coulours I could find.

The only markings for Zho Vehicals I could find were the tiger strips (vertical) of the Iavchieql G carrier from 101 vehicles (also in GURPS Alien Module 1).

The only other military colours I could find was the pale yellow of the camshell head of the Zho battledress on the back of the CT Alien module. Which is slightly paler than the yellow the noble is waring on the front.

Best regards,

Ewan
Old May 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM

E.D.Quibell Citizen

William H. Keith used the tiger stripe on their Ninz class 100 ton Zho Scout in Adventure Class Ships Vol 1.

The counters they have in the back are blue and light blue for the Zhos.

In ACS 2 they use light blue for Zho merchants (and green for the Sols F Andrew's info).

Best regards,

Ewan
Old May 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM

Nezach Citizen

That's some great research there Ewan. I'm much obliged to you for collecting and forwarding that data.
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM

E.D.Quibell Citizen

Just happy to help.

Best regards,

Ewan
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM

Nezach Citizen

I thought I would update those who were interested on my progress. I was about to layout UVs and start texturing, but then I went through some of the material Ewan referenced (I don't have the board games and ACS sets) and saw that there was a Z80 side view that I forgot about in 101 Vehicles. In the initial blockout my only reference was the Z80 image from 'Rebellion Sourcebook' and besides the perspective being a bit off there is no indication of ventral hull area details due to viewing angle.

The 101V side view provides more detail in that area (some Zho spikey bits and hull cutouts), which is nice, but the turret design at that angle is much more curvilinear than I modeled. I'm going to go back and redo that before moving on to the texturing phase. I think it will look much better than the Panzer in Space turret I initially modeled.

For texturing I'm thinking of doing a matte black 'stealth jet' look for starters. As Orr and aramas point out chameleon hulls make any texture a justifiable. Ewan's research implies that there seems to be a 'cultural bias' towards blue or light blue (whose bias I wonder though, Zho or Impy...), but nothing specific to this vehicle. If I don't get sloppy I can set up my layers in PS to be able to quickly adjust tint and shade for new hull colorings once the base is done.

Thanks again to everyone who posted suggestions and input to my queries (and anyone who read this far).