Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old March 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen
Default Marava lounge

Still lots to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKh1PZ63U6c
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Mithras Citizen

Those doors look a bit 'submariny' ... sorry ... Love the motion, though, lots of potential in this kind on interior viewpoint.

http://zozer.weebly.com/orbital.html
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 2
Peter Schutze Citizen

Might be OK if your going for a Terran ship at the start of the interstellar wars period if terran architects are heavily influenced by military design but otherwise, no

The doors definitely dont match my imagining of spaceship doors. Or even spaceship armoured "bulkhead" doors.

Ive always pictured them as popping out and sliding along the wall rather than into a wall cavity

regardless, any door opening out into a corridor like these seem to should probably have a transparent area for safety reasons
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:13 AM

Gallery : 29
Scarecrow Citizen
Send a message via AIM to Scarecrow

I'm reluctant to crit this. It's a really nice mesh and beutifully lit and I know that you've made it clear that it's a WiP with a long way to go. Fair enough.
That said, I too must voice some concerns about the submarine doors. Next to the otherwise subtle and elegant room (I love those wall panels, btw) they seem very bulky and very old tech. I'm not expecting Star Trek sliding doors, I know the 3I is traditionally harder than that but something a bit more NASA-like would feel more appropriate, even if you just get rid of those wheels.

I'm concerned that it's very very sterile and lacks any kind of atmosphere, but that might either be a specific art decision or just that you haven't started in on the surfacing yet, so fair's fair.

Anyway, all of this is nit-picking. I'm looking forward to seeing later itterations.

Crow
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Gallery : 0
The Oz Citizen

The floorplan doesn't match any Marava-class ships I know of. What are you using as the basis for your design?
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:21 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

I'm using plans I found years ago. Dunno where they're from, but they're close to the ones in Supp7. The only differences here are the room isn't as wide (by 0.75m) and a few doors are in different places.

Most ships have a mix of hatches and valves, but this is supposed to be old and battered - it's actually the Dublin Mudslide from the Far Trader series - and mostly uses hatches. I may change the design, though.
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

In my opinion hatches as shown would only be used in bulkheads.

If this is the lounge (upper deck, passenger staterooms?) then all those leading to the staterooms should be simple doors (sliding pocket doors by canon, but swinging doors would work too, if they swung into the stateroom).

Any leading through bulkheads (including the floor or ceiling) will be a hatch of some type, those shown are fine for that. Though you should factor clearances in of course.

I don't see a viewport being a requirement though. The act of turning the handle will serve as warning to either side that the door is being opened and one should stand clear.

It does seem cramped so I suspect it was one of the corrected tonnage deckplans, or that you corrected the scale being aware of the overly large scale of the canon deckplans

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

The hatches are not appropriate for non-bulkhead doors.
The area looks WAY too sterile.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 4
PFVA63 Citizen
Default Hi

I kind of like what is shown so far. The general look isn't too much different than what I've kind of envisioned for some ships (especially 2300AD and/or Interstellar Wars type settings.) I'd suspect that in a final form you could add more stuff on the walls, etc. With respect to the doors, I guess I'd see those more for use in major bulkheads, with maybe something less structural for other locations, but I don't really have any problems with them either way.

Looks Nice.

Regards

PF
Old March 26th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
jawillroy has disabled reputation

It's an aesthetic nudge on one point, and a detail nudge on another. I think someone else said about the partition doors looking like bulkhead hatches: tone 'em down, make 'em fragile "token" spacemakers. And for the walls, unless it's a military boat, do stuff to make it homey. Earthtones. Firefly did that stuff well, and it wouldn't hurt to take a few cards from that deck.

wall art, even.