Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old January 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 5
Ronnke Citizen

This is a tutorial on how to build a hull texture. The process is the same in basically all graphics packages, such as photoshop, paintshop pro, gimp, etc. I'm not familiar with Inkscape, but I guessing it is going to the same.

http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/tutorials/shiphull.html

I like the PD turrets, however they might be a bit too small.

The diamond material should work, but since it is transparent you may have to create a mesh layer that sits above the hull to apply the material to, or work the material to get the desired effect without it being transparent.
Old January 19th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
iron warrior Citizen

So last night I began thinking on the things I'd learned and heard about texturing in blender and making materials.

I had an image in mind as to what I wanted and began struggling towards it, and began looking at some free textures/materials I've had for a while and I eventually came up with this material I used as a hull for my destroyer.

Behold, I texture:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5123/...d4e5fa97_b.jpg

The basic material is called "gun iron and it and the other one I used for the honeycomb mesh come from here: http://matrep.parastudios.de/index.php?p=7

I used the gun iron for the basic material, and may change it soon, and I took the texture from the honeycomb mesh, which was a B&W image of a hexgrid, and added it as a texture, and after tinkering with the settings for several hours and making some intelligence/perception rolls and a lot of trial and error I arrives at something close to what I'd imagined, not bad for a first effort and several hours, even if I've been into blender off an on for a couple years now.

I still have a way to go, as the grid is way too thick, making the hull too pebbly. I'm going to find or make a grid with lines between 2-5x finer, and maybe adjust a setting to make them not so deep.

Also if I can I'm going to see if I can copy some settings from a diamond material, also available at the above site, to give the hull a rainbow iridescent quality to suggest a coating of artificial diamond on the hull for protection from dust, heat, etc.

I'm pleased with the fact my efforts were at least in the ballpark and close to what I'd imagined, so it's not a bad first effort.

There seem to be some errors here and there, and I'll need to see of adjusting the scale of the hexes fixes them or I'll need to separate the hull sections even further and apply the texture to each section. I know that can be done fairly easily if you know how, just select the verts, give them a separate name and then you can apply materials to them individually. Have to brush up on that. Also there are sections I might not apply the grid to as they're too small, like the forward edge around the intakes, and the inside of the torpedo tubes. Likewise the piping around the engineering section.

Now I'm off to find or make a much finer lined hexgrid in B&W, sans numbers.

Last edited by iron warrior; January 19th, 2011 at 07:23 PM..
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:05 AM

iron warrior Citizen

Well, I finally saw 5that trying one texture map over a complex and uneven shape wasn't going to get a smooth hexgrid, and I finally opted to break it down into smaller, separate parts and custom tweaking each part to get the grid aligned better.

Still not perfect, but the "ribbed" look works and gives the hull more depth and detail. Plus ribs worked for the galactica. I'm not expert enough to make the ribs the same width all the way down the hull. that would require some very fancy vertex tweaking.

I made the hexgrid with inkscape and a nifty little addon for it that does hexgrids, with options to make then line up evenly. Too bad it doesn't have an option to leave off the dots I had to manually delete from each hex manually...

This was hours and hors of work, first to realize my initial plan of getting an even hedgrid wouldn't work, then more hours to break up the hull into sections, then more to apply and align the texture. Still lots of problems, wish to hell I could get the ribs even all the way down, need to work on the basic metal texture to kill that damn mirror effect, etc, but for a first texture it's good.

Last edited by iron warrior; January 24th, 2011 at 01:10 AM..
Old January 24th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Citizen: SOC-11

Gallery : 5
Ronnke Citizen

Looking good!

I kinda like the way the ribs are at the moment, but to get the even spacing you can use the array modifier. If you are going for the even spaced ribs then I thint it will also look better to have them run in parallel segments as opposed to curved. Like part of the ships framework is external.
Old January 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Visit HiverLord's Blog
HiverLord Citizen
Thumbs up

Looks fantastic!
I agree with Ronnke, the ribs look good. Having the 'fatter' ribs up near the front give it an added dimension - kind of looks 'sleeker', in a way; it just adds something...
Actually, it makes the front of the vessel look 'stretched', and gives it a more streamlined look. It looks like it's going fast, even standing still.
Keep up the great work.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:04 AM

iron warrior Citizen

Newest pics. The main hulls are redone completely, often several times. I'm struggling with a 500,000 vert count now and tries to reduce it. Still, the central hull is just under 50Kiloverts and the forward hull in about 33 kiloverts. I think it's the PD turrets running things thru the roof maybe, gonna need a blender guru willing to risk his computer to look at this file and tell me where I can cut a lotta verts without losing looks.

I'm going to need to rearrange some of the attachments to the center hull to fit around the gridwork as I did it separately due to chugging on the full file.

I have a personal rule that makes me have a technical justification for everything, but I had the idea for a ship with a gridwork like hull with hexagonal patters in the recessed panels that was too strong to resist, so I had to come up with a justification for the hexgrid material and why it's on the fore and center sections but not on the rear engineering sections.

After wracking my brain and it's vast store of SF material and technical knowledge I came up with the idea of having the hexmesh material represent a kind of special, advanced form of energy resistant armor that was made to reflect or refract as much of an energy weapon as possible with it's outer layer (Gotta add a prismatic iridescent layer to the hexmesh material to show that somehow) and the layer under it is made of complex structures and exotic matter that is highly absorbent of energy. The armor tries to reflect or refract as much of an incoming energy attack as possible, then absorbs most until it's saturates, at which point it explodes outward, ablating the energy away from the inner hull. That why it is hexagonal cells, to allow each segment to blow off independently.

As to the sections between the meshes, those are to allow the ship to radiate heat waste heat and such without having it retained by the armor, and those sections have a different, more heavy form of armor.

The engineering section of the ship has none of this armor as the energy emissions from the main reactor and engines at full power would be absorbed by the armor, causing it to overheat the ship so the rear sections use different armor. The nose section uses different armor, reinforced for atmospheric entry as taking the main brunt of atmo entry would be tough on the expensive energy armor, hence the enhanced plating over the forward edge where atmo entry caused the worst effects.

Hey, it's still a better technical explanation than most SF movies of series use....

Last edited by iron warrior; February 2nd, 2011 at 02:07 AM..
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:03 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Shonner Citizen+Shonner Citizen+
Send a message via Skype™ to Shonner

If you export to OBJ, I can take a look at the wires to see where you can reduce mesh density.

shawndriscoll@hotmail.com
Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:00 AM

iron warrior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonner View Post
If you export to OBJ, I can take a look at the wires to see where you can reduce mesh density.

shawndriscoll@hotmail.com
Thanks, if some blender guru doesn't step up to help me o some other forums I might take you up on that.

BTW, a lot of verts come from having to do a double loop cut to make the edges sharp looking. I use extrude to make the panels, intruding them into the hull, scale them down to .95, then need to do two loop cuts and edge slides to make the edges sharp, effective meaning that the rim of every sharp edge you see has double verts.

Last edited by iron warrior; February 2nd, 2011 at 04:02 AM..
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:40 AM
Peer of the Realm

The Hinterworlds Rambler Citizen

Great ship! Beautiful! It really gives off an "all-rounder" feel to it, like it could be a good mass production hull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4C01hS2nI
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Knight

Xerxeskingofking Citizen+Xerxeskingofking Citizen+

just chipping in to say i like the look. I'm not too keen on the engine block, but meh, i like the rest so i should not complain.

I *really* like the new ribbed look. all i'd suggest adding is portholes or other light scoruces, just for detail.