Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old December 18th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-1

Gallery : 0
badruk Citizen

That model is looking good, cant wait until we see a shot of it amongst the stars...

Regarding the comments about the windows being a structural flaw, that is assuming they are made of easily shatterable material such as glass. Perhaps with the advanced manufacturing processes of the Imperium they could use a transparent bonded superdense? It could be transparent to a limited range of the visible spectrum to allowing the crew to see out, while being opaque to the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum to block radiation, lasers, etc. This would also explain the transparent domes on larger ships, such as the Azhanti High Lightning.

If it is a troop ship, the passengers would be more used to being on a world's surface, on deployment under an open sky. Perhaps the window would be good for moral, to stop the occupants feeling claustrophobic on long hauls. The last thing you need is stressed out troops.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 28
navanod Citizen
Default Arise from the dead, Warsprite!

Well, it's been a long while since this thread saw any activity, and a long while since I've had a chance to work on this project. So, I decided to pull it out and start tinkering. This is where I sit currently, with most of the ship roughed out along with 2 types of fighters and 2 flavors of mission modules (the hangar one is the one with the open door; the other is enclosed for various other uses). Just thought I'd let everyone know this ship isn't completely dead yet, and I do still plan to eventually put out a Technical Manual for it when it's completed.

Old May 4th, 2012, 02:17 AM

Gray Pennell Citizen

wow I wish I could do this. They are just the way I picture flat sphere ships. I have chosen that design characteristic for my bad guy pocket empire fleet, but I could never do this.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Visit HiverLord's Blog
HiverLord Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Pennell View Post
wow I wish I could do this. They are just the way I picture flat sphere ships.
Agreed.
Fantastic work so far. Can't wait for the rest.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Pennell View Post
wow I wish I could do this. They are just the way I picture flat sphere ships. I have chosen that design characteristic for my bad guy pocket empire fleet, but I could never do this.
The K'kree have what could be described as "flat sphere" ships - pictures of those are also available on the Internet, on the Traveller Gallery website (I think).
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Nav, did you ever get around to finishing this project, or is it still on the backburner being tinkered with every couple of months?
Old November 26th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftbrook View Post
Everything you're talking about, aka deconstructing the picture, I did over ten year ago!
I think I have hand sketches from the early 90s, though mine never got much past that. I was too busy doing the same thing to the TI/TJ, the ship from the Shattered Ships ad in Challenge, and random artwork from OMNI.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old December 1st, 2014, 08:07 AM
Count

Visit Ulsyus's Blog
Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+Ulsyus Citizen+

Not wanting to muck up any of the outstanding work you've done...

In the original illustration we see what appears to be an airlock door forward of the side turret and off to the edge/side of the vessel from a turret on top of the ship.

Is this a complete door on the upper half of the vessel? If so, the thing would be two complete decks, changing the perspective (mental, not graphical) of how big it is, wouldn't it?