Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Sylean Academy of Art and Design

Sylean Academy of Art and Design Computer graphics, physical models, and other artistic projects

Old November 19th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Noble

Gallery : 12
Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Boulton View Post
Everyone, please don't upload any canon designs (or names) without checking with Marc first! I have special permission for this.

Obviously, your own designs are fine.
I figured that was a given from the discussion, but being clear is always best

Quote:
I'm not making a penny. These are prototypes, and I've not seen the finished models yet - they may look crap!
I suspected as much. And I'd like to get one to review it for that. I'm not sure I want six prototype Scout/Couriers though, it'd cost too much to replace those early model life support air scrubbers

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Fund Rare Bard Rants - Donate your unused rants today!

Musings of an old Trader... (my CotI Travellog) updated - May 3 2012
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
HG_B Citizen+HG_B Citizen+

Quote:
Everyone, please don't upload any canon designs (or names) without checking with Marc first! I have special permission for this.

Obviously, your own designs are fine.
So, you can't design a 100t wedge and upload? Almost every small tonnage & hull config have, at some time, been published. So, pls clarify.
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG_B View Post
So, you can't design a 100t wedge and upload? Almost every small tonnage & hull config have, at some time, been published. So, pls clarify.
If it looks like a Traveller ship then it is a Traveller IP and you don't do it. Just like if it looks like a StarWars ship then it is a StarWars IP and you don't do it.

If you create something "whole cloth" that just happens to be a wedge shaped space craft, WITHOUT any of the iconic designs that would clearly mark it as a Traveller Scout Ship or StarWars Imperial Star Destroyer you're in the clear.

I really don't think it's that hard to know if you're crossing the line. If there is doubt in your mind then you are probably too close and should differentiate it. Simple no?

Original material in this post may be employed for personal non-profit use with the origin noted. Any other use is subject to permission from the author. Contact me through the private message feature of this board.

Old November 19th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by far-trader View Post
If it looks like a Traveller ship then it is a Traveller IP and you don't do it. Just like if it looks like a StarWars ship then it is a StarWars IP and you don't do it.

If you create something "whole cloth" that just happens to be a wedge shaped space craft, WITHOUT any of the iconic designs that would clearly mark it as a Traveller Scout Ship or StarWars Imperial Star Destroyer you're in the clear.

I really don't think it's that hard to know if you're crossing the line. If there is doubt in your mind then you are probably too close and should differentiate it. Simple no?

No, in the world of IP it isn't that simple. There is no legal definition of iconic when it comes to simple geometric solids stuck together. Otherwise, Marc could be sued by the Star Wars guys for those wedge shaped ships that look a lot like star wars ships that hit the screens in '77. It would have to be identical to a published work. Not, a similar design. That's obvious though.

I don't blame Marc for having something like this posted. Although, it is somewhat laughable.
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:17 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

If it's recognisable, don't. You might get away with it, but you'd piss off Marc and I'd permaban you, so is it worth it?
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

My impatience won out over my wallet I figured I'd be too distracted/busy in the short term to get anything put together for shapeways to pad the order, and didn't feel like browsing other items, so I splurged for a squadron of 6 Scouts. Some might be fun Christmas gifts for a few friends

Review and pics to follow upon arrival of order.

Old November 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
If it's recognisable, don't. You might get away with it, but you'd piss off Marc and I'd permaban you, so is it worth it?
Why would I care if it pissed off Marc? I base my decisions on what is legal, not what pisses off a person I don't know and who has never spoken to me.
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
The Adminator

Gallery : 41
Andrew Boulton Citizen

Did you get all 3 variants? I need to know if the stand-hole is okay, and how sturdy the legs are.
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Noble

Visit far-trader's Blog
far-trader Citizen

Dang it. Sorry, the idea didn't cross my mind or I would have. I wonder if I can amend my order? I'll drop them a note and see if that's doable.

Last edited by far-trader; November 24th, 2010 at 12:08 AM..
Old November 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

It's not like Andrew used the Canon design, either. The proportions are wrong for the type S as shown in CT and MT, and the doors wrong for T20...

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.