Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 0
BillDowns Citizen
Talking

Is it just me, or is that a surprising turn of events for a game described as "irrelevant" back in October? (on rpg.net)
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallowglacht Citizen

Or maybe it just describes rpg.net as "irrelevant".
Old May 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDowns View Post
Is it just me, or is that a surprising turn of events for a game described as "irrelevant" back in October? (on rpg.net)
I think whoever said that was speaking out of his nether regions. MGT was (IMHO) as close to a sure thing as it gets in the RPG business. There are a *lot* of old Traveller players out there and nostalgia is a powerful incentive. Of course, I make this assertion only for the initial rulebook. From that point on, the game system will have to carry its own weight. But even at the height of my, uh, constructive critical disputes with MGT, I never thought it would fail to sell well at the start.
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Oh, I still think several of the stated goals from the initial announcements are impossible, but the game itself can be quite good and still fail at those goals, given how the Traveller "Community" works (or doesn't).

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Gallery : 53
Visit aramis's Blog
aramis has disabled reputation
Send a message via ICQ to aramis Send a message via AIM to aramis Send a message via Yahoo to aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
Well, I did preorder rather late (April 9), so I imagine my order is near the end of the queue.

UPDATE: Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that preorders should have been fulfilled ahead of distributor orders (unless, of course, the distributors also prepaid for their copies; in that case I have no problem with "first come, first served")).
It's likely that they "paid" by purchase order (literally a line of credit), and are thus legitimately in line well before you, Ty.

Archduke of Sylea (CORE 2118)
Duke of the Third Imperium (SPIN 0534)
Count Terra (SOLO 1827)
Count Gorod (REFT 1302)
Count of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2232)
Viscount of Adabicci (SPIN 1824)
Marquis of the Solomani Rim (SOLO 0606)
Marquis of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2410)
Baron of the Third Imperium (SPIN 2231)
Knight of the Iridium Throne (CORE 1434)
Sir William Hostman (OLDE 0512)
Sir William Hostman (DAGU 0622)
Knight of Deneb (REFT 2239)
Knight of Deneb (Spin 2532)
SEH w/Diamonds for Extreme Heroism - Battle of Boughene
MCG - Battle of Boughene
TAS: William Hostman (CORR 2506)
TAS: Bearer (DAIB 1326)
IMTU ct+ tm++ tne tg-- tt+ tmo+ t4- t20+ to ru+ ge+ 3i+ c+ jt au ls pi+ ta he+ st+
Wil Hostman 0602 C539857-9 S A724
OTU: 95% 3i an+ au+ br- cpu± dt± f+ fs++ ge± ih- inf± j± jf+ jm+ jt+ ls- n= nc+ pi+ pp-- tp+ tr+ tv- vi-- xb+-
Unless there is bold red text, presume my posts to be my personal material only.
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Stainless Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
... at the height of my, uh, constructive critical disputes with MGT...
Hey tbeard, has anyone 'thanked' you for that? I understood your arguments against the effect/timing system as it was in the playetst, and it's heartening to see they removed it. I _suspect_ that removal had a lot to do with your championing the Rightious Way, and so MGT is better for you. Thanks, from me at least.
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Hey tbeard, has anyone 'thanked' you for that?
Well, one nice fellow compared me to a suicide bomber...

Traveller Akbar!

Quote:
I understood your arguments against the effect/timing system as it was in the playetst, and it's heartening to see they removed it. I _suspect_ that removal had a lot to do with your championing the Rightious Way, and so MGT is better for you. Thanks, from me at least.
Thank you. In my experience, critics are almost *never* thanked, even when their advice is taken. Which might be a Good Thing in general, since critics can be awfully irritating.

And I've found that while people forgive a lot of things, they will seldom forgive you for being right...

In any case, I am relieved that Mongoose (apparently) took the legitimate criticisms to heart and ditched those mechanics, despite the fact that the design team (and a vocal fan contingent) seemed in love with them. That took stones and Mongoose is to be commended for it.

Last edited by tbeard1999; May 8th, 2008 at 11:01 AM..
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramis View Post
It's likely that they "paid" by purchase order (literally a line of credit), and are thus legitimately in line well before you, Ty.
Well, anything is possible. But until some confirmation is received from Mongoose, your speculation is merely that--speculation.

And the more I think about it, the less impressed I am with how Mongoose handled it.

Fact -- they had to know how many copies were preordered by both individual consumers and distributors.

Fact -- They had to know how many copies they were printing.

Fact -- this information would make it easy for them to determine if they were gonna be able to fulfill a preorder.

In my opinion, they should not have taken a consumer's money for a preorder if they already knew that stores would get the product before the consumer did. At the very least, they should have informed the customer that his order would be delayed and offered a refund. Since the preorders are via email, this is a trivially easy task.

If they take a customer's money, they should deliver the product/service that the customer reasonably expects. Or at least warn him that his expectations won't be met.

Instead, Mongoose apparently took the money, used it, then shipped the product to others. I can't find a good face to put on that.

Last edited by tbeard1999; May 8th, 2008 at 04:13 PM..
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Plankowner Citizen

Maybe this is there little dig back at you for your "constructive criticism"!

Seriously, I preordered and got mine last week, so I am a bit surprised you haven't gotten yours yet.
Old May 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+

I've pre-ordered mine in early March and it was sent from Mongoose (I've checked this with them) about two weeks ago; still hasn't reached me. But shipping here to Israel takes time and this week we had both the Military Memorial Day and the Independence Day so this might also be the reason for the delay of my package.