Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Other Versions of Traveller > Mongoose Traveller

Mongoose Traveller Discussion forums for the Traveller rules from Mongoose Publishing.

Old May 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Gallowglacht Citizen
Default Any non system goodies?

Assuming I don't want to use the Mongoose system, how much of this edition would I find useful? What cool bits could I steal?
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Marquis

Gallery : 9
Visit robject's Blog
robject has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowglacht View Post
Assuming I don't want to use the Mongoose system, how much of this edition would I find useful? What cool bits could I steal?
You could use chargen, equipment customization rules (nicely done), and ship design, without having to use the game engine.
Tools Link
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Plankowner Citizen

The character generation is nice because it gives some more details about what happened during that 4 year chunk. There are Life Events and Mishaps and other Events.

Also, the connection rule is a good way to explain why all these diverse characters ended up together. Skills might be a bit light for whatever edition of Traveller rules you like, but that can be fixed by giving more skills per term (MGT gives 1 plus 1 for promotion).
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 3
GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++GypsyComet Citizen++

Assuming you don't already have TNE, the MGT book also revives the concept of Ship Shares.

"Alright. Where did that Beaker get a cred stick?"
(Website down until further notice)
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallowglacht Citizen

I have CT (reprint), friend has MT, I have TNE, friend has T4, I have GURPS Traveller and T20. Kinda want Mongoose for completeness, but need convincing.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Vargas Citizen

Quote:
I have CT (reprint), friend has MT, I have TNE, friend has T4, I have GURPS Traveller and T20. Kinda want Mongoose for completeness, but need convincing.
Following that progression isn't it your friend's turn to buy the game?
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Assuming they kept the playtest starship design rules, they make a nice replacement for Book 2 starship construction rules. BTW, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy. Anyone else still waiting?
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Gallery : 1
Golan2072 Citizen+Golan2072 Citizen+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeard1999 View Post
BTW, I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy. Anyone else still waiting?
I'm waiting for my pre-ordered book as well, but I'm in Israel and shipping here typically takes quite a long time even with air-mail.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:36 AM

tbeard1999 Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golan2072 View Post
I'm waiting for my pre-ordered book as well, but I'm in Israel and shipping here typically takes quite a long time even with air-mail.
Well, I did preorder rather late (April 9), so I imagine my order is near the end of the queue.

UPDATE: Got a response from Mongoose. They've sold out of the initial printing, but expect more in by Friday. Since the consumer's purpose in preordering is to get a copy of the game as soon as possible, this is unwelcome news. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that preorders should have been fulfilled ahead of distributor orders (unless, of course, the distributors also prepaid for their copies; in that case I have no problem with "first come, first served")). In any case, the quantity of preorders was known, so it seems inexcusable that enough copies were not retained from the initial print run to fulfill them. At the very least, I should have been alerted by email so I could decide whether to buy from a local game store or wait for Mongoose to fulfill it.

Of course, this is something of a Traveller tradition as well. I recall the preorder fiasco with Imperium Games when T4 came out. Still, it's annoying. I don't imagine I'll be preordering again.

Last edited by tbeard1999; May 7th, 2008 at 12:02 PM..
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

BillDowns Citizen
Talking

Is it just me, or is that a surprising turn of events for a game described as "irrelevant" back in October? (on rpg.net)