Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > The Fleet

The Fleet Ship designs, strategies, and tactics.

Old June 12th, 2016, 02:10 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Gallery : 0
Beerfume Citizen+Beerfume Citizen+
Default 200 ton Armed Merchant - deckplans and image

Sharptooth Class Armed Merchant

This is an original work in progress, constructive criticisms are welcome. Does it bother anyone else that the jump drive has exhaust ports and that the ship has no "formal" airlock? Happy travelling!

http://travellerrpgblog.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Beerfume; June 12th, 2016 at 02:24 AM..
Old June 12th, 2016, 02:41 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++

not bad at all. And from eh forward view you can't tell it has no exhaust vents...and you could probably install a pressure hatch in the floor of the cargo bay without needing to redesign the deck plan or model.

if it is armed you might want to show the weapons a bit more clearly. but that's not a biggie.

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Old June 12th, 2016, 03:45 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

kilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizenkilemall Respected Citizen

What are your underlying economics system that pays for the relatively smaller hold and no passengers?
Old June 12th, 2016, 04:03 AM

wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++wbyrd Citizen++

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilemall View Post
What are your underlying economics system that pays for the relatively smaller hold and no passengers?
just off the top of my head I would think it's not a general purpose cargo transport... would think of it as a space going armored truck.

High priority, high-value cargo, would be a good market. having an armed merchant vessel that can defend itself would be a big plus in an area where such things as precious metals, radioactives, and other high value per ton cargoes needed to be shipped...

Nothing is new, nothing is impossible...
Old June 12th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Citizen: SOC-12

Beerfume Citizen+Beerfume Citizen+
Default Sharptooth Class economics

Kilemall - Depends what it's relative to. With its Jump 2 capability, the Sharptooth has greater range than the Beowulf Class (200 ton, J-1, 82 tons cargo) opening it up to markets the Beowulf can't touch. The Sharptooth is more comparable to the Empress Marava Class (200 ton, J-2, 46 tons cargo). Like the Marava, the Sharptooth's crew could be minimized by doubling up the pilot/navigator and medic/steward positions and operating in regions of space less likely to involve armed conflict. The three port staterooms could then be used for mid-passengers, should the ship owner decide to go that route.

My thought for this design was for shipping smaller, valuable cargoes through the more dangerous regions of frontier space. As a GM, I'd allow higher revenue per cargo ton for that risk. Keeping each crew member with only one job eliminates the -1 skill modifier.

Part of the beauty of Traveller starships is the ease at which variants can be made. The Sharptooth's entire cargo deck can be replaced with high-passage suites if the primary goal is higher revenue.

This is a Classic Traveller, Book 2 design, BTW.

Wbyrd - You beat me to the punch. I've got to learn to type faster!
Old June 12th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Noble

mike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizenmike wightman Respected Citizen

I like it.

I also like all the other stuff you have on your web site
Old June 12th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfume View Post
Sharptooth Class Armed Merchant
Does it bother anyone else that the jump drive has exhaust ports and that the ship has no "formal" airlock?
Yeah, you are definitely going to be wanting a proper airlock somewhere. I would consider losing the bridge-adjacent fresher in favor of per-stateroom hideaway facilities for hygiene and replace it with a ~2dt airlock mounting a "planar" outside hatch (one that can mate with a hatch lying flush in a proverbial infinite plane, allowing any vessel with such a hatch to dock with any other vessel that has one regardless of their respective other configuration details). If not there, an alternate location might be topside near the as-yet-unmapped missile turret and reload stowage area. Probably want to avoid putting it inside the bridge proper, though (Anti-Hijack, et cetera).

As to the exhaust ports, I reckon that it is power plants that need them more than Jump drives, but that is a simple fix to what you have so far if you even think it necessary.

The ventral turret is a bold choice, as it prohibits a belly landing and therefore requires functioning landing gear and articulated loading ramps; note that the access hatch to the turret is mislabeled as "dorsal" on the lower deck plan.

As to payload, what rules version did you design her under? Even under CT B2 and its onerous power plant fuel requirements, providing only 6 crew staterooms but ending up with only 50dtons left over for cargo seems to me somehow a little light -- unless you are using gigantic fuel purifiers (which is not what is suggested by these plans) and/or have set aside a massive amount of dtonnage for missile stowage. I was expecting something more in the neighborhood of 60dtons for payload.

Nice layout overall; any alternative to the tired old Empress Marava is always welcome as far as I am concerned, and this one has a much less crowded feel to it.

Last edited by boomslang; June 12th, 2016 at 12:36 PM..
Old June 12th, 2016, 12:31 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

Old June 12th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Gallery : 1
boomslang Citizen
Arrow

@Condottiere

Where's the commode? Under the sink?

Old June 12th, 2016, 12:50 PM

Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++Condottiere Citizen++

The sink is leftward; considering the economic plumbing, you do your business behind that wall.