Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Software Solutions

Software Solutions Discussions on Traveller related software.

Old December 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Citizen: SOC-6

Gallery : 0
Agrikk Citizen
Default Online MegaTraveller System Search (Now with color and maps) UPDATE 1/20/10

I've consolidated .SEC files from Joshua Bell's travellermap.com (which in turn is based on .SEC files created and compiled by many, many people) into a MySQL database, did some organizing and then wrote a system generator script to flesh out the rest of the orbital bodies using the MT extended system design.

http://www.rainwalk.net/gaming/trave...tem_search.htm

Enter in a System name, click search. Then on the results page, click on the extended system details link to see the rest of the orbital bodies.

Example.

Example 2.

For now, ignore the rudimentary formatting, as I'm hosting this on my old site that's long overdue for a reskinning and reorganizing. There's still a bunch to do, but I want to get the initial site out there for comments.

edit: added planet icons

edit2: added reference maps from travellermap.com

edit3: added details for all orbital items

Last edited by Agrikk; January 20th, 2010 at 01:56 PM..
Old December 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Count

Gallery : 5
Visit Spinward Scout's Blog
Spinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout AwesomeSpinward Scout Awesome

Just an FYI,

Typed in Yoribund and got the details for Pysadi. Nice tho - even gave me a option to select from two different worlds when I typed in Ruie and got one in the Spinward Marches and one in the Core. It's even intuitive enough to give me a selection between Regina in the Spinward Marches and Reginald in the Phlask Sector. Were you going to add anything from the original CT library data? I noticed there's no mention of Festival on Rethe or that Shionthy is a Red Zone.

Other than those little glitches, it look great and seems pretty easy to use!

Last edited by Spinward Scout; December 9th, 2009 at 05:26 AM..
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Agrikk Citizen

For some reason, Yorbund appears as Yoribund in my database. If there are no results from a search, Pysadi appears. A bizarre bug that I'm going to have to rectify.

Amazing that of the 49000+ systems, you picked the one with a typo.

As soon as I get this and a few other bugs sorted out, I'm going to be working on system orbit maps for each star as well as trying to figure out the travellermap.com API to add a small map of the system and it's immediate neighbots (to add a bit of color to the pages). I'll also be adding circle icons that reflect the size and type of world/moon, if it's the mainworld and if it has water.

And as far as the data entry goes, I'm using scratch data for the moment, but once things coalesce, I'll be adding better notes to each system as I can find it, plus altering the randomly created system data to reflect system descriptions that are canon, like Pysadi, Regina, etc.

Last edited by Agrikk; December 9th, 2009 at 01:26 PM..
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Agrikk Citizen

Update: Fixed the 0 results search bug returning Pysadi information
Old December 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Citizen: SOC-13

Gallery : 34
BeRKA Citizen

Nice tool!
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 7
Visit Border Reiver's Blog
Border Reiver Citizen

Fun too.

Even more fun if you hit the extended system generator for Terra and check out the results :-)

"I have come to believe there is nothing in the lives of human beings more terrifying than war and nothing more important than for those of us who have experienced it to share its awful truth."- Ron Kovic
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Keklas Rekobah Citizen+Keklas Rekobah Citizen+

The sun for Terra is listed as "G6-V". In the real world, it is "G2-V". Did Sol cool down that much in 5000 years, or is G6 just an arbitrary in-game value?
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Agrikk Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
Fun too.

Even more fun if you hit the extended system generator for Terra and check out the results :-)

Hah hah hah. Wooo! Mercury is now a LGG.

Like I said, I haven't gone through and edited the randomly created data to reflect systems that have already been fleshed out or, you know, actually exist IRL.
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:13 AM

Agrikk Citizen

Added icons for planets, moons, stars, belts.

Icons for planetary bodies reflect inhabitable as green (Atmo 4-9 & Hydro 1+), water world as blue (hydro 1+) or barren

There will be different icons for gas giant types as soon as I update the database with gas giant compositions.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM

Agrikk Citizen

Added some basic formatting and added a jump map from travellermap.com to the Planet stats page.