Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > General Traveller Discussions > Ship's Locker

Ship's Locker Submit your favorite original equipment and weapons for others to use in their own Traveller campaigns.

Old January 23rd, 2004, 07:35 PM
Citizen: SOC-7

Gallery : 0
Linwood Citizen
There's a movie called "Deep Rising" that was on cable earlier this week. I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone (pretty standard monster from the depths eats everyone sort of thing), but the main characters were toting around some weapons that would be pretty cool for Traveller characters.

From what I can recall, the guns were roughly assault rifle-sized, fairly small in caliber, and had 5 or 6 barrels in a Gatling-style arrangement. They are obviously something created in a movie prop house somewhere (they would have needed a truck to haul all the ammo they used up, for one) and probably aren't feasible in today's real world, but might make an interesting TL 9-10 weapon.

Any thoughts on what game stats (preferably T20) might be for something like this??
Old January 24th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 2
Visit tjoneslo's Blog
tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+tjoneslo Citizen+
As a wild guess, first pass:

Cost: Cr2,000
TL:9
Weight: 3.5kg
ROF: 20/100
Range 45 meters
DMG: 1d8 (x2)
Size: Medium
Type: Piercing
Recoil: Yes
Ammo: 1000 rnds, 8kg, Cr3,000
Ammo: 100 rnds, 0.8 kg, Cr300

This uses a very small caliber caseless round. It makes up for it's lack of penetrating power and round size by pure rate of fire. (ROF 20 adds +5 dice, ROF 100 add +10 dice). User has a choice of a smaller 100 round magazine for portable firepower or a larger, back mounted belt feed with a base 1000 rounds and a cability to chain belts to as many as required.
Marquis Hysyl - Hysyl (Deneb 2425)
Baron Regina - Regina (Spinward Marches 1910)
TAS member - Vipan (Empty Quarter 1038)
Be part of the history of Traveller:

https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Linwood Citizen
Cool

I like it!! Thanks!

Now all I have to do is find a way to work it into the campaign...
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Citizen: SOC-8

montanakennedy Citizen
One of the little side-effects of chain guns is that there is no "belt" of ammo. The rate of fire precludes the use of a solid or disintegrating-link belt. The case that contains the ammo holds the cartridges in such a manner as to allow them to feed mechanically - usually a series of powered ratchets/rollers helping with the feed.

Dave
Old January 31st, 2004, 01:39 PM

Linwood Citizen
Then a significant portion of the loaded magazine weight for a true chain gun would be the magazine itself, since it would be more complex mechanically than a simple box-type clip. So maybe the 1000-rd backpack should weigh an extra kilo or so (and maybe cost a bit more) to reflect that.
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:22 AM
Citizen: SOC-13

Todg Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by montana kennedy:
One of the little side-effects of chain guns is that there is no "belt" of ammo. The rate of fire precludes the use of a solid or disintegrating-link belt. The case that contains the ammo holds the cartridges in such a manner as to allow them to feed mechanically - usually a series of powered ratchets/rollers helping with the feed.

Dave
It should be noted firstly, that the original poster described a 'Gatling type' gun, a weapon with multiple barrels each with its own dedicated bolt. This is a significantly different weapon than a chain gun, in which a single barreled weapon is operated via an electrically or hydaulically powered chain attached to the bolt. It is a common error to confuse the two.

Secondly, both chain guns and powered Gatling guns (known variously as revolving canon or mini-guns) have used both linked and linkless feed ammuniton. Linked ammuniton has proved to be troublesome in revolving guns with rates of fire over 4000 round per minute, and in general linkless feed has supplanted linked ammunition in these guns. Instead, the ammunition is carried in 'conveyer elements' that are part of the feed system but are analogous to links except that they surround but do not grip the ammunition.

Chain guns have significantly slower rates of fire, and may or may not use linked ammunition depending on whether there is room for a linkless feed system.

An explanation of the operation of the chain gun can be found at http://www.rkba.org/guns/principles/...ems/chain.html , that of the Gatling gun at http://www.rkba.org/guns/principles/...s/gatling.html

For more detailed information (i.e. of interest only to fanatics), See Chinn's "The Machine Gun"
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:30 AM

Todg Citizen
Just for the fun of it, and not having see the movie you refer to, here's my own version of the concept. I originally envisioned a rifle/minigun hybrid that would fire the same ammunitions as the FN P90 PDW. This is a smaller and less powerful version of an assault rifle cartridge, but still considered effective out to 300 meters.

The idea was to have a weapon that could saturate an area at reasonable ranges but still be controllable. I photoshopped up a picture to go with it:

Unfortuantely, I don't use T20 so I can't help with stats.
Old February 1st, 2004, 06:07 PM
Citizen: SOC-14

kaladorn Citizen
You may say it is based on the FN, but when I look at that (cool picture, mind you, can I 'borrow it'?), it screams SA-80 as the base.... (just in terms of appearance).
"Tell them, that from this place we will deliver notice to the parliaments of conquerors that a line has been drawn against the darkness. And we will hold that line, .. no matter the cost." -- Cpt. Sheridan "The Long, Twilight Struggle"
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:53 PM

Todg Citizen
Quote:
Originally posted by kaladorn:
You may say it is based on the FN, but when I look at that (cool picture, mind you, can I 'borrow it'?), it screams SA-80 as the base.... (just in terms of appearance).
Sorry. Perhaps I was not clear. The the concept for the weapon was to build it around the cartridge used by the FN P90 (5.7x28mm). The SS190 generates a modest 514J of energy, but in a proposed weapon of about 5.5 kg will generate a recoil energy of about 1J. Low recoil energy is important when you add up all the recoil for a weapon with a rate of fire up to 3,000 rpm.

The composite photo was made from a GE minigun, SA-80 and FAMAS rifle. You can find more photos at http://weapons.travellercentral.com You are welcome to use any that interest you.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:33 PM

Linwood Citizen
Great picture, Corejob -- other than the telescopic sight (the movie guns used trapezoidal-shaped iron sights) it looks very similar to what the Hollywood FX guys dreamed up.

(Well, they didn't have the ammo conveyor either, but that's Hollywood... [img]smile.gif[/img] )

And that's a pretty impressive website that you're building!