Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register

Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Play By Post > Magnus' Permatic PBF

Old March 6th, 2019, 05:20 AM
Citizen: SOC-14

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

I already changed my latest IC post to suggest Julius and Frank met inside the downport while Frank was running his errands and Julius heading towards the taxi-stand, and Julius is now standing by while Frank calls Dabi, so we could go with the things-inside-the-starport angle if you want. It's just that I didn't expect that was what Magnus intended (and indeed it appears not to be), so I wrote my first post differently. But I understand what you want now and we could go with that, too.
Old March 6th, 2019, 12:06 PM

Gallery : 39
Visit Magnus von Thornwood's Blog
Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Arrow And time for the Ref to eat some crow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Umm, like chives. Little chopped up green onion-y bits often mixed with sour cream to put on baked potatos and such. "Ch" like Chuck or Charles or champion or... generally how ch is pronounced at the beginning of words in English, not in Romance languages or German. Not a hard ch like a K. The "i" in the middle is long, like in like. The "v" is again an English v, like valley. The "e" is silent. You know, chives.

The name comes from Sir Dominic Flandry's manservant (and friend, although generally unacknowledged as such until they are facing death together), who was not a computer but of an alien species green and reptilian in appearance (but most certainly NOT a Merseian!).

Chives is not a piece of hardware, more like this LIP you mention, a virtual personality. I imagine that upon being "installed" into a new-to-him ship, he feels his way around the hardware, stretching his senses and getting the fit the way we would with a new coat. Or a new car. "Yes, Frank, I like this one. Nice sensor upgrades, and a good targetting system to match."

I expect they would have taken care of that upon issuance of the "Clever" to Frank back at the Scout Base in Cessing Belts where Frank mustered out and took command of the ship. As far as "asking", you made a distinction between LIPs and IPs, and this LIP does know that Frank is in command of the ship, right? [What is it's name, anyway?]

I know that. Would definitely have a different name. I thought we were going with the notion that Frank was issued this one as his new detached duty vessel on Mustering Out. (You know, because he rolled that benefit?)

Well, timeline-wise, Frank was issued a detached duty Type S on mustering out from Field Scouts (Exploration Branch, whatever) to become a Ranger, because that is the way you told me to do it in chargen five years ago. I assumed that he would frequently use that as transport during his Ranger missions, as Rangers don't often work in large groups. When undercover or when otherwise inappropriate, he would have left it in Long Term Parking at a convenient starport.

BZZZT!!! First ship command?!? Frank spent years as an explorer in a Type-S. As for Dabi, hey, nice guy, but he spent one term as a Scout before becoming a Pathfinder. No ship skills except for Engineer-0.

Eh, it's part of your charm. Wouldn't recognize you without some occasional borderline dickery, doc. But Frank was rolled up (re-rolled in posts to demonstrate the online dice-roller, which was new at the time) according to your instructions back then, and I asked you if I could use him now, and you said Yes. I probably wouldn't be playing in this game right now if you'd said No, wouldn't have taken the brain-strain to re-learn the chargen to make a new guy (you know that brain-stuff is an issue for me now). So you approved him, and enough with that "beyond the Pale" crapola.

=====================

[Re: Chives: Actually amazed that you are not so familiar with Poul Anderson's Sir Dominic Flandry. You should definitely check out his stories - be advised of usual expected variance in quality and focus over the author's career, as the Flandry stories were written from the 1950s to the 1990s, I think. And I also think that you'd like Flandry, kind of an interstellar James Bond devoted to defending the Terran Empire against its enemies both foreign and domestic, but especially the Merseians and their puppets (think Cold War, sometimes heating up, in politics). I've always kind of envisioned Magnus von Thornwood (but not Lord Craig ) as sort of a Flandry-type guy.

Well, okay. I mean I was wondering because indeed I have been pronouncing correctly. It just was an odd name and confusing to me. And no, never really did Flandry more of Reitif kinda guy. Might have to look into it though, I mean now that you brought Mags into it (who we like to think of as more Reitif what with being extra clever and stuff).

As to the command issue, makes sense and as usual most senior Scout wins.

As to Frank's CharGen, well, things have changed in those years. But not gonna sweat it because most of this isn't getting published so being not broken isn't too much of an issue. Besides Traveller has had that broken Gazelle up till MajorB fixed it for T5. So, there's a tradition of broken by RAW being in the game. And no fault on you agreed, that's all my fault for changing things.

Yes, the Clever is your DD ship. Sorry if I blunder that, been kinda distracted by home and work life which haven't been shiny lately. Apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceBadger View Post
Dude! You couldn't have told us this a couple days ago?

So let me see if I've got this straight: instead of, y'know, role-playing stuff like wandering through a strange new downport seeing interesting sights and interacting with interesting people to get what we need done, done, maybe talking to people and making some skill rolls along the way, we're just supposed to tell the GM [OOC?] and you say yes or No? Yeah, sounds like loads of fun. Why do we need to go out to this ranch shindig? You could just give us a mission and tell us it's from the Banner, no need to meet this guy or talk with him or any of that yucky roleplay stuff. Heck, why not just tell us how we proceed with our mission and whether it succeeds or fails, I'll bet that would save a lot of time, too!

So we each write what our own PC is doing to get out to the taxi stand, except for Julius who is already there in suspended animation, frozen with his hand out toward someone who isn't there yet. Assuming we all arrive at the taxi stand, then what? We hilariously and entertainingly roleplay the hiring of a taxi and the long ride out to the Ranch? Yeah, that sounds much more fun than shopping in a downport terminal!!!

Ugh, I'll write Frank's stuff later, I've got important TV to watch. But note that Frank is NOT, under any circumstances, participating in a any action beyond the extrality line until he gets done the stuff he needed to do!
Arrrggghhh. I swear, this lung thing is actually impacting my brain function. I haven't flubbed a game this bad since well, several months ago in meatspace.

I'm sorry people, things at home ain't the best right now and that has me kinda not up to my A game. I'll try and get it together, please forgive me.

Now, as to exploring Bohen Downs I figured no one really wants to hang out and wander around the port since it be like hanging out and doing stuff at Mitchell Field..uh International Airport. It's pretty much a mid-sized city airport on a mostly unpopulated Ag world. Surprised anyone wants to check it out. Which means until you asked about weapons it didn't even have concourses. Making some of this up on the fly and well, my players in meatspace blew through the port on Bohen but were doing stuff on Caugis so that one got more time.

That said, if you want to hang out in the Old Port we can do that, I'm just not used to it. My bad.

So, just to be sure I'm not committing grievous errors here...

Frank is going shopping in the Old Port for a suitable weapon to carry around.

Julius is heading for the taxi-stand (another thing that I never envisioned but makes totes sense) at the XT Line hanging out in the Old Port too.

Dabi is calling the Banner's Keep to see what the scoop on transport and such is, I assume using a comm terminal in the Old Port.

If that's correct I can work with this.

And I swear if I'd known people were gonna wanna explore the Port I would have started ya on Bohen Heights so I can flesh out the highport. Dummy me.

Again, my apologies for not being up to snuff.
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,
Knight Retainer of the Emperor for Salla, Inarli, & Bhuur,
Knight Retainer of the Baron Jacha, Knight Retainer of the Baronet Kiind,
Knight of the Third Imperium for Trane,
Travellers' Aid Society Member #0543.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

"Some annoying, some entertaining, a few informative, but, Always, Magnus."
dean
Old March 6th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Peer of the Realm

Gallery : 1
Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen

Arg! Thanks, 77topaz. I dunno, wish we had a comm so we could just talk over this shtuff w/out all the lag. I can't =believe= we're still in the starport just trying to shake hands! Gotta be a better way to do this!

I was all set to come on this morning and overstriike out much of what I had written for Frank, essentially rewind to him getting off the shuttle and getting some orientation info from the Knights of the Empire Chapter House and the handy InfoKiosk in the terminal. Then do his chores, try to call Dabi, and head out toward the taxi stand for his unexpected rendezvous with Julius. Go on from there.

BUT... If you want to move the rendezvous back into the terminal so that Julius can participate in wandering the terminal and getting a little feel for the local situation, before rushing out into the World, I don't wanna interfere with that. Hmm, what to do, what to do?

I think I'll go ahead with planned overstrike rewind of events from Frank's POV, but stopping short of going outside, just in case Dabi makes contact, or you decide to bring Julius back inside... Maybe we can all grab a local pizza or nachos equivalent, w local hot caffeine drink or brewskies, for a little Team-building before we all go out to the Banner's big party

So I'm gonna do my thing, and try to be friendly and leave gaps for y'all to jump in wherever you feel like it. OK? Hope that's cool for y'all.

Playing Engineer Ank Buchannon in flykiller's Imperial Scout Rescue Service PbP

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
SBRD Campaign Quick Reference
SBRD Campaign Wiki: Reavers' Deep during The Long Night
Old March 6th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
SpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected CitizenSpaceBadger Respected Citizen
Default Oh. My. Stars! Are we being recorded?

Oh. My. Stars! Are we being recorded? Is this all being streamed out in realtime (or slightly compressed, yeah) as a Gamer Comedy Show?

I mean, you couldn't write this Stuff! Oh, wait, we did! But you couldn't make it up!

I see that while I was writing above post, Mags was busy as well!

C'mere, buddy, gimme a big Bro-Hug!

Now gonna go back and carefully read Magnus's new stuff, see where Frank fits in, write IC accordingly...

My Old Stuff (2013-14)
Old March 6th, 2019, 01:28 PM

Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++Magnus von Thornwood Citizen++
Lightbulb Behold my artistic skillz!

So, just to keep things a bit straight for everyone I have uploaded a simple and quick diagram of Bohen Downs and put the image in the first post of the GO! thread.

Hopefully this helps everyone get orientated.

Also not to scale!
Duke of Sinta, Count Smoug, Viscount Alell, Musayid, & Nii Khu, Marquis Malory & Phlume, Baron Donu-na,

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean

Last edited by Magnus von Thornwood; March 6th, 2019 at 06:01 PM..
Old March 6th, 2019, 05:34 PM

Gallery : 0
77topaz Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood View Post
Julius is heading for the taxi-stand (another thing that I never envisioned but makes totes sense) at the XT Line hanging out in the Old Port too.
He's really doing both: he was heading to the grav taxi-stand before meeting Frank and then "hanging out" while Frank called Dabi.

Quote:
So, just to keep things a bit straight for everyone I have uploaded a simple and quick diagram of Bohen Downs and put the image in the first post of the GAME! thread.
You mean the "GO!" thread?
Old March 6th, 2019, 06:03 PM

Red face Ooooh..resisting power...

Okay, you caught me there, fixed in my post and the evil me was like fix it in the quoted text too. But it was being stupid so I didn't. I make mistakes, thanks for pointing it out.

Thornwood-Daarnulud LLC

dean
Old March 6th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Gallery : 12
SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+SanDragon Citizen+

Fear the blue bolts!
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:01 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Question Why carry Type S aboard cruiser?

Quote:
Also, I'm going to assume since you all came in one major transports you have all gotten cleared through Customs...unless you want to deal with that. I promise no Exit Visa shenanigans.
I guess we're already past that. I don't know if we can take much more rewinding. Until I saw your nice sketch of the downport, I hadn't even realized that we would have had any customs clearance until we were ready to cross the extrality line into local control.

Quote:
As to the Clever, she's been off loaded from the transport and given a berth in the Heights where you can collect her when you're ready to leave. Hmmm. Still needs a name but apparently is a female styled LIP, so we go with my beloved Victoria for her name. Any complaints that I should address?
No complaints from me, just seeking enlightenment.

I thought we had established that after Mustering Out, Frank had taken his newly assigned Type S out to begin wandering, as DD Scouts are generally expected to do. He'd made the acquaintance of Dabi during the administrative process of separation from The Service, and had offered to let him ride along for awhile. (How they picked Bohen I don't know; maybe random roll of polyhedral solid tokens used for gaming?) Then at Bohen Heights they both got the mysterious invite to the Banner's party, and hopped a shuttle to the Downs.

Now it seems we're back with the earlier idea of arrival by Scout Service cruiser, stopping at Bohen to pick up recruits. Frank's Type S was apparently carried in hangar space on the cruiser, but upon our decision to stay at Bohen for awhile was unloaded and docked at the Heights. I have no real complaint or objection to the cruiser bit, I just don't understand why we would do it that way, when a pilot like Frank would be itching to put his new ship through its paces.

Just trying to understand how/why we got to where we are, in case it has later impact on the mission.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)

Last edited by SpaceBadger; March 7th, 2019 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: underlining
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:16 AM
Peer of the Realm

Visit SpaceBadger's Blog
Question How do we submit Gear for approval?

I want to write up some Gear, but that thread is locked. Do you have some preference for how you want us to submit items for your approval, so that you can add them to the Gear thread?

I want to look at the T5 weapon stuff for some example like the electrolaser stunner, or something close that I could modify (since I'm lying here unable to sleep and thinking up stuff like adverse DMs for bad weather interfering with the electric jolt following the ionization path...). (Hmm, electrolaser = LaserTaser!) Also to see if they have a neuro-based stunner (if handy/useful/economical enough, maybe I'll just skip trying to make the electrolaser, even though I have always thought the concept was pretty cool).

Also want to see if T5 provides, or has guidance to allow making, various useful gear from some of the Scout books such as First In!, Grand Census, and World Builder's Handbook (unfortunately I do not have Grand Survey ). I'm especially thinking of some of the hands-free working gear such as commdots and HUD monocles (contact lens would be better!), and what sort of wearable communications/computing gear we should have at our TL.

Since we seem to have Victoria running the ship, I'm wondering if Chives (I might rename him for this purpose) could really be a lesser form of personality, not even a LIP but more like a really smart expert system, the Interface Assistant that I originally envisioned. Maybe "he" just resides in Frank's personal gear (comm, datapad, whatever) as a handy interface between Frank and his workspace/data/comms?

Also thought I might cook up some law enforcement gear - since Frank is on detached duty from Rangers and Whatever's Cool is a Ranger-equipped ship, I think it would be reasonable he'd have some gear on board, and maybe some smaller more generally useful items carried in his duffel.

My Old Stuff (2013-14)